MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 268  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Mets Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm 
Franchise Player

As usual??? This front office is just about the antithesis of creative. Maybe Sandy's warm milk went sour.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yayyyyy Neil Walker and Reyes being mentioned again as possibilities!!! Whoooppeeee!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
Juan Lagares...what a joke.

He's the best defender they have. It's OK if they surround him with hitters and another OF when he inevitably gets injured. I think Nimmo is going to get a big chance to prove himself in spring training. Seems like the kind of player that Callaway would love to have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm 
All Star

Jon Heyman reported that the Mets are interested in Carlos Santana. He would be great at three years. Bat him and Conforto ahead of Cespedes and you're going to score runs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Steve The Original wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

He's the best defender they have. It's OK if they surround him with hitters and another OF when he inevitably gets injured. I think Nimmo is going to get a big chance to prove himself in spring training. Seems like the kind of player that Callaway would love to have.

Name me a realistic lineup that includes Juan Lagares in it but properly surrounds him with "hitters."

They've already committed to:

-Cespedes in LF (fine)
-TdA at catcher (not a hitter)
-Rosario at shortstop (uncertain what to expect, but didn't hit at all in first 2 months)
-Cabrera at 3rd (sort of a "hitter")

plus Lagares in CF

So you have 1B, 2B, and RF to find "hitters" - lets assume Conforto is back around June 1, which seems realistic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
Jon Heyman reported that the Mets are interested in Carlos Santana. He would be great at three years. Bat him and Conforto ahead of Cespedes and you're going to score runs.

I don't see the fit. They aren't just going to bail on Dom Smith so I'm not buying this one. Plus other teams like the Sox and Ms are going to be in on CS so the field isn't going to clear for them.

I'd file this under "Ain't Happening"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:05 pm 
All Star

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

I don't see the fit. They aren't just going to bail on Dom Smith so I'm not buying this one. Plus other teams like the Sox and Ms are going to be in on CS so the field isn't going to clear for them.

I disagree on your first point. I'm pretty confident Dom Smith is not the primary 1B on opening day.

But I agree CS could get too costly.

But for three years, the Mets should do what they can to sign him. He's great at getting on base, which would be huge in front of Cespedes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

I could totally see them bailing on Dom Smith.

They shouldn't. But if a fading veteran falls into their price range you know they just aren't going to be able to help themselves.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

Name me a realistic lineup that includes Juan Lagares in it but properly surrounds him with "hitters."

They've already committed to:

-Cespedes in LF (fine)
-TdA at catcher (not a hitter)
-Rosario at shortstop (uncertain what to expect, but didn't hit at all in first 2 months)
-Cabrera at 3rd (sort of a "hitter")

plus Lagares in CF

So you have 1B, 2B, and RF to find "hitters" - lets assume Conforto is back around June 1, which seems realistic.

You have to see how the rest of the hot stove plays out. It still doesn't change that Lagares is still the best defensive option in Center they have. But I think it's safe to say that 2018 should be the last year they give him this opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

I could totally see them bailing on Dom Smith.

They shouldn't. But if a fading veteran falls into their price range you know they just aren't going to be able to help themselves.

8)

Well the key would be not to replace him with a fading veteran, no? And if they sign that kind of player I would expect him to be in a platoon role with Smith, not the full time starter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

If Lagares starts in CF, I give this OD lineup a realistic chance of happening:

Jose Reyes, 2B
Brandon Nimmo, RF
Yoenis Cespedes, LF
Logan Morrison, 1B
Asdrubal Cabrera, 3B
Travis d'Arnaud, C
Amed Rosario, SS
Juan Lagares, CF

Thats a disaster.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Well the key would be not to replace him with a fading veteran, no? And if they sign that kind of player I would expect him to be in a platoon role with Smith, not the full time starter.

You know they aren't going to chase the top guys. And if you aren't going to outbid teams for the best players, why bother?

8)

8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 268  Next