MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 235  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 am 
Online
Fan Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 1925
Yeah, we've seen these reporting discrepancies all through out the off season with the Mets. One minute they have serious interest in player x and then the next day an article comes out "Mets interest in Player X was over blown, they are actually looking at Player Y." The next an article comes out that they have no interest in player y and are looking at Player Z instead. This has been happening for months now and it really gets me thinking that a lot of these reporters just make stuff up. The last two weeks we have been hearing that they are seriously considering Lance Lynn but today I saw an article where the Mets haven't even contacted his agent yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 am 
Online
Fan Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 1925
HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
I don't think Wheeler should have won either based on 2017, but an arb 2 player who made 17 starts with a 0.3 war going from 0.8 to 1.9 is hardly "ridiculous raises" Travis d'Arnaud, after putting up a .629 OPS, being injured and missing nearly half the season, and a -0.8 OPS got 1.9 is arb 1 (granted that was partly based on his 2014/15). Wheeler's missed more time but he's got a 2.1 to d'Arnaud's 2.0 career war and he's made less than 1/2 the arb salary (they entered arb the same year).

Yeah, it seems ridiculous when the Arbitrators decided that the raise proposed by the Mets wasn't enough. It's not like the team offered no raise or only a minimal one. I believe he was at $800K and they offered to nearly double his salary to $1.5M.

But it all goes according to what they figure is the prevailing wage for a player at his service time. In his case it seems too much bc he hasn't pitched a lot (370 IP covering a span of 5 seasons). That's where the disconnect seems to be.


The worst arbitration raise this year was definately Shellby Millers. The guy was sooo bad in 2016 that he was demoted and in 2017 he was injured. Yet he gets a raise? The arbitrator is basically making the DBacks pay for Shellby Millers one good year in 2015 which to add insult to injury was with the Braves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:07 am 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am
Posts: 734
piazzafan wrote:
it really gets me thinking that a lot of these reporters just make stuff up.


100% agree. And I think this has been going on for quite some time now. It's all about clicks, and our insatiable appetites for all things Mets.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:31 am 
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:30 pm
Posts: 3500
Disco Ball wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
it really gets me thinking that a lot of these reporters just make stuff up.


100% agree. And I think this has been going on for quite some time now. It's all about clicks, and our insatiable appetites for all things Mets.


Have you met Mickey Callaway? He'll fix this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59946
piazzafan wrote:
Yeah, we've seen these reporting discrepancies all through out the off season with the Mets. One minute they have serious interest in player x and then the next day an article comes out "Mets interest in Player X was over blown, they are actually looking at Player Y." The next an article comes out that they have no interest in player y and are looking at Player Z instead. This has been happening for months now and it really gets me thinking that a lot of these reporters just make stuff up. The last two weeks we have been hearing that they are seriously considering Lance Lynn but today I saw an article where the Mets haven't even contacted his agent yet.


NOBODY has reporters serious interest in Lance Lynn. That was entirely an unrealistic fan based fiction.

Jim Duquette said the Mets were considering an “innings eater” and may have used Lynn’s name as a reference to that type but the reporters themselves have been saying they will not be going into that tier since that report/ and the Mets have done nothing to refute that.

The most optimistic reports have said they may see if someone falls into their price range. But that’s it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am
Posts: 734
slugox wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
it really gets me thinking that a lot of these reporters just make stuff up.


100% agree. And I think this has been going on for quite some time now. It's all about clicks, and our insatiable appetites for all things Mets.


Have you met Mickey Callaway? He'll fix this.


Not sure I follow. Remember the narrative the entire winter was they had very little to spend and yet the current payroll is easily within hailing distance of last year's. I could never find a quote directly attributed to anyone from the Mets on the new figure, yet numbers where reported out anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am 
Online
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 5914
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
Yeah, we've seen these reporting discrepancies all through out the off season with the Mets. One minute they have serious interest in player x and then the next day an article comes out "Mets interest in Player X was over blown, they are actually looking at Player Y." The next an article comes out that they have no interest in player y and are looking at Player Z instead. This has been happening for months now and it really gets me thinking that a lot of these reporters just make stuff up. The last two weeks we have been hearing that they are seriously considering Lance Lynn but today I saw an article where the Mets haven't even contacted his agent yet.


NOBODY has reporters serious interest in Lance Lynn. That was entirely an unrealistic fan based fiction.

Jim Duquette said the Mets were considering an “innings eater” and may have used Lynn’s name as a reference to that type but the reporters themselves have been saying they will not be going into that tier since that report/ and the Mets have done nothing to refute that.

The most optimistic reports have said they may see if someone falls into their price range. But that’s it.


https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 5059924992

Not really. Isn't Rosenthal a respected reporter? Probably one of the most respected actually.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:30 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59946
dragonfly wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
Yeah, we've seen these reporting discrepancies all through out the off season with the Mets. One minute they have serious interest in player x and then the next day an article comes out "Mets interest in Player X was over blown, they are actually looking at Player Y." The next an article comes out that they have no interest in player y and are looking at Player Z instead. This has been happening for months now and it really gets me thinking that a lot of these reporters just make stuff up. The last two weeks we have been hearing that they are seriously considering Lance Lynn but today I saw an article where the Mets haven't even contacted his agent yet.


NOBODY has reporters serious interest in Lance Lynn. That was entirely an unrealistic fan based fiction.

Jim Duquette said the Mets were considering an “innings eater” and may have used Lynn’s name as a reference to that type but the reporters themselves have been saying they will not be going into that tier since that report/ and the Mets have done nothing to refute that.

The most optimistic reports have said they may see if someone falls into their price range. But that’s it.


https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 5059924992

Not really. Isn't Rosenthal a respected reporter? Probably one of the most respected actually.


He used them - as an example - with the caveat of "if prices fall."

If you read that as "Mets are hot for Lynn", I think thats a you problem.

The reporters actually have gotten this winter pretty right. Bruce was reported on from back at the WMs. Harper in early January after some doom and gloom said the Mets may actually have more to spend than we thought. Frazier has been listed a target all winter, and listed as always the more realistic option than Moustakas. Kipnis and Kinsler were named as the original targets, and the Mets *apparently* had trades for both (or at least the Mets are leaking they had trades for both). They've told you expect reliever first, and SP was "4th" priority - guess what happened?

I really don't see the big miss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:37 am
Posts: 10312
I think the big miss was the reporting on the payroll, which made it seem like we'd be done after Swarzak.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59946
thebull wrote:
I think the big miss was the reporting on the payroll, which made it seem like we'd be done after Swarzak.


Yeah that came from Sherman, but was refuted in relatively short order (as much as we were hesitant to believe it) by Harper, Martino and others. And it didn't even really make much sense given that the budget Sherman reported would've been wiped out (and then some) by the reported "done deal" we had for Kipnis.

I still think the most important bit - which many framed as a negative and hindrance to Sandy - is the idea that again we've heard payroll is never set. If this market took off like past offseasons and Jay Bruce had 5/80 offers or Tod Frazier was looking at 3/45, I'd say its unlikely we were going to be seriously involved, and maybe our team does look a lot different. But it does seem as though Sandy pitched some opportunistic below market signings and they were approved.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12159
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
piazzafan wrote:

The worst arbitration raise this year was definately Shellby Millers. The guy was sooo bad in 2016 that he was demoted and in 2017 he was injured. Yet he gets a raise? The arbitrator is basically making the DBacks pay for Shellby Millers one good year in 2015 which to add insult to injury was with the Braves.


A $200,000 dollar raise? The d'backs were dumb to offer zero. If they'd offered $100,000 they'd have won.

_________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am 
User avatar
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 7639
The payroll is still $12m BELOW the payroll at the start of last year WITHOUT including Wright's insurance money.

_________________
Original drummer for the Wilpons Are Cheap.
Fire Sandy and his whole team!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 235  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acerimusdux, Bing [Bot], Daaaarryyl, dragonfly, jdawginsc, jdrnym, MarkJohnson>You, piazzafan, Redscot and 106 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists