MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 12 braves free agents as penalty
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:23 am 
Legend of NYFS

egelband2 wrote:
As mentioned above, the worthwhile players will end up as Dodgers, Red Sox, and Yankees. Even more irritating is that the Mets should be able to act like the big dogs, but don’t.

The new rules give each team roughly equal budgets with some smaller teams a bit more and teams that sign QO free agents a bit less.

How do the Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees have the advantage?

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:27 am 
Veteran Presence

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseba ... famphtml=1

How the system will work for each team. They can either use $ from this year or next years international signing pool. Yanks of course just traded for some extra $.

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 am 
Legend of NYFS

ndfordarling wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/international/mlb-removing-prospects-braves/%3famphtml=1

How the system will work for each team. They can either use $ from this year or next years international signing pool. Yanks of course just traded for some extra $.

Yanks are going to try to use that cash for Otani though, so they have 2018 finances available for the former brave signees, but 2017 not so much. Unless Otani signs somewhere else.

It's an even spread for the former Brave's prospects, no team has an advantage. The teams that went over in 2016, however, have disadvantages, the Astros, Athletics, Cardinals, Nationals, Reds, Padres and White Sox can't spend over 300K on any of them, though some of the 13 probably sign for less than that.

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

Some interesting reading on this Coppolella guy. An international scout working for the braves was the whistle-blower. He'd done other stuff too, an under the table deal with a draft pick (that's why the Braves lost their 3rd round pick), some claims of tampering, some reports of abuse and the significant amount of under the table money passing (same thing the Redsox did), perhaps even more so, and when presented with testimony - he went full Trump and denied the entire set of allegations.

At first I felt bad for the guy for being banned for life, but it kinda sounds appropriate now that I've read a few articles.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/ ... VfmtHZVJI/

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:12 am 
Legend of NYFS

Coppy would give non-prospects 10,000-20,000 in "real" money and funnel the remainder of their bonus to better players unreported.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
Mets don't have any money this signing period.

8)

Doesn't matter. The Braves 13 are under different rules. Teams can use 2018 money (but not combine it). So the Mets have money if they want to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
Some interesting reading on this Coppolella guy. An international scout working for the braves was the whistle-blower. He'd done other stuff too, an under the table deal with a draft pick (that's why the Braves lost their 3rd round pick), some claims of tampering, some reports of abuse and the significant amount of under the table money passing (same thing the Redsox did), perhaps even more so, and when presented with testimony - he went full Trump and denied the entire set of allegations.

At first I felt bad for the guy for being banned for life, but it kinda sounds appropriate now that I've read a few articles.

Literally every team does all of the above. He just got caught.

You don't find it odd that Ben Badler already has a piece out about who is signing who next July 2nd? You don't think that means teams have already come to "illegal" agreements with the top IFAs? And you don't think teams cut deals in the draft before they pick guys?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:23 pm 
All Star

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

You don't find it odd that Ben Badler already has a piece out about who is signing who next July 2nd? You don't think that means teams have already come to "illegal" agreements with the top IFAs? And you don't think teams cut deals in the draft before they pick guys?

I was thinking the same thing. Teams have agreements with kids who are in the 2020 class already. MLB was on the right path when they wanted an International draft. To bad their agents screwed up that idea. If the International kids and their agents don't like it MLB should have told them go and play in Japan or Korea then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

As stated above, the Braves did what the Redsox did. They signed 5 or 10 or 20 players who they didn't want, so they could slip the money under the table to 1 or players they did want. They spent more money than they were allowed. That's a big no-no. That was why the penalty was so big, cause the Redsox got hit hard for doing exactly that a year before. It's pretty clear that MLB and the new Commish objects most strongly to under-the-table contracts.

There may have been other violations too. Nobody's saying much about the details.

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:38 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
As stated above, the Braves did what the Redsox did. They signed 5 or 10 or 20 players who they didn't want, so they could slip the money under the table to 1 or players they did want. They spent more money than they were allowed. That's a big no-no. That was why the penalty was so big, cause the Redsox got hit hard for doing exactly that a year before. It's pretty clear that MLB and the new Commish objects most strongly to under-the-table contracts.

There may have been other violations too. Nobody's saying much about the details.

I think we're pretty safe.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Metro2007 wrote:
Coppy would give non-prospects 10,000-20,000 in "real" money and funnel the remainder of their bonus to better players unreported.

Read somewhere that this signing was a big part of the scheme to get these kids extra cash:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/104146914 ... year-deal/

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Word/rumor is that Coppolella was a real piece of work. A guy despised in his field and that extended from outside to inside his own FO.

The kind of guy other organizations had zero problem throwing under the bus.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?