MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rule-5 draft 2017 by team
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 am 
Legend of NYFS

#13 - Fish

The Fish protected 7 bringing their roster up to 40. (I think, couldn't find a good article).

Based on their MLB rankings, none of their unprotected guys really stand out.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261944130 ... to-rule-5/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

#14 Marriners

One of the more active teams on the waiverwire added 0 players this rule 5. Their roster stands at 36 which means they have room to make some additions, though they're probably in win now mode not rebuild, they could still add someone this rule 5.

Left exposed:

Quote:
The club chose not to protect any of the others who become eligible this year, which includes outfielder Ian Miller, who was last season's Mariners Minor League Hitter of the Year after splitting time between Double-A Arkansas and Triple-A Tacoma.

Miller is the Mariners' No. 22 ranked prospect, per MLBPipeline.com.

Four other prospects ranked among Seattle's top 30 by MLBPipeline.com will also be eligible for the Rule 5 Draft, and all are outfielders. Luis Liberato (No. 12) finished last year at Class A Advanced Modesto, Anthony Jimenez (No. 13) was at Class A Clinton, Greifer Andrade (No. 14) played for Class A Short-Season Everett and Chuck Taylor (No. 28) was at Double-A.

A lot of OFs, which is interesting cause the mets might look for an OF if there's a good one.

Ian Miller is a 25 year old lefty hitting OF who hit .326 in AA this year with 4 homers. The average, not much power profile might work given his speed and CF glove (though I'm not sure how good his glove is). Over the last two years he's stolen 92 bases in 100 tries. Even for the minors, that's a good ratio. I'm a little curious about Miller.

Liberato is 22 and in A+. showed some pop this year but I worry about guys who haven't seen AA yet getting promoted to MLB.

If Tocci is gone and the Mets nab Miller . . . I wouldn't hate that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:46 am 
Rookie

Great stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:05 am 
Fan Favorite

I'm rather intrigued by Cub's Charcer Burks, who has a little pop and speed and can play center field. He can also put up a great OBP.

@teddywklein on twitter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Superpitcher wrote:
I'm rather intrigued by Cub's Charcer Burks, who has a little pop and speed and can play center field. He can also put up a great OBP.

Great name too.

Good call. I like the #'s and age + level (22 at AA) but I would guess he isn't much of a CF because he's floated around and I'd assume he'd be protected if he was a CF option.

But like you stated he has played some CF.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:54 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

And after we come up with 5-10 intriguing prospects they're just going to end up trading the pick for a meatball sub....

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?