Legend of NYFS

?

Post subject: Re: #30 runoff Blackham vs. Becerra
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 am 
Legend of NYFS

Vote Blackham!

Jeff on Becerra
Jeffrey Paternostro‏ @jeffpaternostro wrote:
At this point I don’t think he’d even be Top 30.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 am 
Legend of NYFS

Not to derail the Blackham express, but he's about to turn 25, is listed at 5'10" and hasn't pitched above A ball. I'm not sure how he slipped ahead of some others here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Metro2007 wrote:
Vote Blackham!

Jeff on Becerra
Jeffrey Paternostro‏ @jeffpaternostro wrote:
At this point I don’t think he’d even be Top 30.

This is an October surprise for the Becerra camp! :lol:

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:39 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Not to derail the Blackham express, but he's about to turn 25, is listed at 5'10" and hasn't pitched above A ball. I'm not sure how he slipped ahead of some others here.

1. Missed extensive time due to an arm injury earlier in his career.
2. Kanfer raved about him. Had him touching 97 with plus movement
3. Another writer liked him “as much” as any rp in our system other than Bashlor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

Blackham only threw 30.2 innings in 2015, got hurt and then missed all of 2016 so his age is a bit overstated given the fact he's a RP.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am 
Legend of NYFS

Matty Blacks also won SAL RP of the month in both August AND Sept.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 am 
Legend of NYFS

Some more Mr. Blackham stats

Allowed 2 ER on June 27th, allowed 0 ER the rest of the season... a span of 20 appearances!!

From May 21st on he allowed 6 ER... a span of 29 appearances. He allowed 5 ER over a 3 game span 6/18-6/27, he allowed 4 ER over his other 36 appearances.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Blackham only threw 30.2 innings in 2015, got hurt and then missed all of 2016 so his age is a bit overstated given the fact he's a RP.

The age 'issue' is that his numbers and dominance have to be put in context. And that context is that he was 2 to 4 years older than most of the batters he was facing this season in the SALY.

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent or isn't a prospect, but that he's yet to face more advanced, mature hitters and that age/context often matters.

And btw, same thing goes for MattP who was dominating the SALY at 25 this year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

The age 'issue' is that his numbers and dominance have to be put in context. And that context is that he was 2 to 4 years older than most of the batters he was facing this season in the SALY.

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent or isn't a prospect, but that he's yet to face more advanced, mature hitters and that age/context often matters.

Another guy I mentioned people liked after seeing in the AFL whom you for some reason had issue with receiving praise lol. 30th best prospect in a "bad" system isn't exactly high praise. As for the age issue, his own team had an average age of 21.5 with 18 players making appearances who were 23 or older so lets not act like him being 24 was him feasting on HS kids. The average pitcher in Savannah was 22.6 with 12 pitchers 23 or older making appearances. The SAL is full of second and 3rd year draftees from college not a bunch of HS kids who haven't seen "Matt Blackham's".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

Another guy I mentioned people liked after seeing in the AFL whom you for some reason had issue with receiving praise lol. 30th best prospect in a "bad" system isn't exactly high praise. As for the age issue, his own team had an average age of 21.5 with 18 players making appearances who were 23 or older so lets not act like him being 24 was him feasting on HS kids. The average pitcher in Savannah was 22.6 with 12 pitchers 23 or older making appearances. The SAL is full of second and 3rd year draftees from college not a bunch of HS kids who haven't seen "Matt Blackham's".

Not sure why this perturbs you. Blackham is 2+ years above the average age in the SALY. MattP 3 yrs above. I'm just stating facts now.

If you don't think that matters at all, you're welcome to have that opinion.

I have no 'issue' with you liking whomever you like. It's kind of funny to have to say that. I am only adding the age/context bc I think it matters. There is no reason to take offense at that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm 
Legend of NYFS

No, I just find it kind of odd how you strongly advocate a guy like Jayce Boyd (regardless of any facts ie they left him exposed at the milb level for the cost of 12,000...) but when I randomly note a scout liked Pobereyko after seeing him in the AFL you were extremely quick to downplay this. Jayce Boyd is 27 years old this month and can't play the OF, the Mets are leaving him available for 12,000! and yet because you like him you defend him (and that's your right) but you sure pick and choose when to care about age etc. And yeah, age matters far less for a RP. There are plenty of examples of guys who randomly pop up and have a few year run as a mid-late 20 (even 30's) out of the pen. Far less so with other positions.