MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 39707
Location: Panic City
jdawginsc wrote:
I could see something where Matz, Ellsbury plus Yankee prospects and money would be interesting.

Frazier has no position on the Yankees other than DH. Yankees have three guys for centerfield...Ellsbury, Hicks, Gardner.[/i][/b]



Ellsbury is a complete non-starter.

And Frazier is the 4th guy they trade in that group, especially since they're going to have to find cheap production somewhere.


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 61660
jdawginsc wrote:
Names of significance to the Mets

Second: Ian Kinsler, Jason Kipnis, Josh Harrison, Neil Walker, Starlin Castro, Jose Reyes

1B/OF: Jay Bruce, Cain, Lind, Logan Morrison, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clint Frazier

3B: Donaldson

SP: Jake Arrieta (yeah, right), Steve Matz (heard an interesting little rumor)

RP: Shaw, Reed, Davis (nope), Ramos, etc...


Maybe you have insider info, but based on the public statements of the front office and the rumors the beats have passed along, I think about half - maybe - of these names are of actual significance.

No Cain, Ellsbury, Frazier (they have said no pure play OFers, plus the first two cost money)

Certainly no Donaldson.

They said no SPs so no Arrieta.

The beats have said they won't chase the Davis/Holland group.

Shaw and Reed appear to be Plans A on bullpen.

Kipnis, Kinsler (tho we heard early on Tigers rejected Met overtures), Harrison, Reyes and maybe Cesar Hernandez seem like the 2B group.

Lind, Morrison, Moreland are likelier 1B. Santana's probably the pipe dream - although Carig notes today what we all knew was true - the early indications of a big 1B signing (and by big, I mean the likely 3/45 contract that Santana commands) is "very unlikely". probably eliminates Morrison too. We're looking for a 1/5 type - the Alejandro de Aza of 1Bman.

Bruce is the one we go back to in January if both sides have been left at the alter in other pursuits. Probably pairs with a Reyes-at-2B signing, and Joe Smith as the major bullpen signing.

That looks like it. One thing to bet on with this group is if they identify X number of areas to address, the likeliest outcome is X-1 or X-2 actually happen, and the chances of X+1 or X+2 are essentially 0.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 24918
Location: charleston, sc
I agree that it will likely be underwhelming. Sandy's history is doing nothing at WMs except to talk about groundwork. And the payroll thing is going to be evident.

I could see a winter of Reyes, Lind, Joe Smith.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8617
Lets be honest, we're likely looking at signings of Reed and Bruce as the main pieces added this offseason. The FO is on record as saying they like familiarity. The rest of the signings will be periphery guys.

They'll be lucky if they break 2.3m fans this year.

_________________
Original drummer for the Wilpons Are Cheap.
"Reyes is a virus" guy is right.
R Nitelight on 7/16/2018 wrote:
I honestly don't care about winning or losing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 61660
Ralf wrote:
Lets be honest, we're likely looking at signings of Reed and Bruce as the main pieces added this offseason. The FO is on record as saying they like familiarity. The rest of the signings will be periphery guys.

They'll be lucky if they break 2.3m fans this year.


If there were betting odds on 2B, I would put anything on Reyes.

Whenever a plan to start the offseason begins with "Will explore trade options", its very easy to assume that WON'T happen.

Remember when they were going to deal from their glut of 1Bman (DEFINITELY dealing one of Ike or Duda)? Or SP (Definitely dealing Niese or Gee or Wheeler)? Or OF (definitely dealing Grandy or Bruce, and maybe both - h/t Matt Cerrone)?

So yeah, agree, look for familiar face signings, the 2B trade market to never come to fruition, and Reyes is at 2B on OD. Outside chance Walker if his market doesn't develop, though I could also see both if they come cheap enough and Walker being the 1B on OD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8617
Apparently Martino wrote a piece for SNY the other day, he added an interesting name to the mix for bullpen:

Quote:
A trade is also possible. The Orioles, for example, might be willing to move Darren O'Day.


Also, he was a little more bullish on a Kinsler deal:

Quote:
Detroit's Ian Kinsler is still a target, and a more likely trade candidate than Cleveland's Jason Kipnis. The Mets have gotten further in discussions with the Tigers than the Indians, mostly because Detroit is unambiguously willing to move its veterans, and the teams aren't that far apart on players.


https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/keep-an-eye-on-ian-kinsler-more-at-winter-meetings/263137726

_________________
Original drummer for the Wilpons Are Cheap.
"Reyes is a virus" guy is right.
R Nitelight on 7/16/2018 wrote:
I honestly don't care about winning or losing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 13284
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

We're looking for a 1/5 type - the Alejandro de Aza of 1Bman.

Bruce is the one we go back to in January if both sides have been left at the alter in other pursuits. Probably pairs with a Reyes-at-2B signing, and Joe Smith as the major bullpen signing.

That looks like it. One thing to bet on with this group is if they identify X number of areas to address, the likeliest outcome is X-1 or X-2 actually happen, and the chances of X+1 or X+2 are essentially 0.


I don't think you're far from wrong, but I'm more optimistic than that. Bruce is possible, contract depending. I'm not sure Bruce is a guy they want at 1st base either, but maybe they'll try him/Wilmer there.

A Reyes return is possible but I think they'll aim higher.

and if they go Joe Smith, I think they'll go 2 Joe Smith types.

As much as we make fun of ownership, the Wilpons do want to win and they've spent over their projected budget several times. I think your "realistic" forecast is light. I think they'll do better than that. I have no idea what, cause they're going to shop around but they'll go better than Bruce/Reyes/Smith.

_________________
RIP Stan Lee. I'll miss your cameos. Excelsior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 7187
jdawginsc wrote:
I agree that it will likely be underwhelming. Sandy's history is doing nothing at WMs except to talk about groundwork. And the payroll thing is going to be evident.

I could see a winter of Reyes, Lind, Joe Smith.


Maybe, but that would make a great drinking game taking a shot every time you hear the word groundwork. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:17 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 13284
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
AllWrightNow wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
I agree that it will likely be underwhelming. Sandy's history is doing nothing at WMs except to talk about groundwork. And the payroll thing is going to be evident.

I could see a winter of Reyes, Lind, Joe Smith.


Maybe, but that would make a great drinking game taking a shot every time you hear the word groundwork. :lol:


I seem to recall a deal or two at the Winter meetings from Sandy? Am I wrong?

_________________
RIP Stan Lee. I'll miss your cameos. Excelsior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 pm
Posts: 3765
Expect a WM of "groundworks" and passing up on the rule 5 draft for Sandy. lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
All Star

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 2381
LTKfRGM wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
I agree that it will likely be underwhelming. Sandy's history is doing nothing at WMs except to talk about groundwork. And the payroll thing is going to be evident.

I could see a winter of Reyes, Lind, Joe Smith.


Maybe, but that would make a great drinking game taking a shot every time you hear the word groundwork. :lol:


I seem to recall a deal or two at the Winter meetings from Sandy? Am I wrong?


I think the Dickey trade happened on the last day of the meetings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8617
DiComo

Skepticism abounds that the Mets and Tigers will be able to complete an Ian Kinsler trade. The Pirates' Josh Harrison, whom @MarcCarig first mentioned as an option, would make sense as an alternative.

_________________
Original drummer for the Wilpons Are Cheap.
"Reyes is a virus" guy is right.
R Nitelight on 7/16/2018 wrote:
I honestly don't care about winning or losing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hot Takes and 124 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media