MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings (Attempt II)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
I could see something where Matz, Ellsbury plus Yankee prospects and money would be interesting.

Frazier has no position on the Yankees other than DH. Yankees have three guys for centerfield...Ellsbury, Hicks, Gardner.[/i][/b]

Ellsbury is a complete non-starter.

And Frazier is the 4th guy they trade in that group, especially since they're going to have to find cheap production somewhere.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
Names of significance to the Mets

Second: Ian Kinsler, Jason Kipnis, Josh Harrison, Neil Walker, Starlin Castro, Jose Reyes

1B/OF: Jay Bruce, Cain, Lind, Logan Morrison, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clint Frazier

3B: Donaldson

SP: Jake Arrieta (yeah, right), Steve Matz (heard an interesting little rumor)

RP: Shaw, Reed, Davis (nope), Ramos, etc...

Maybe you have insider info, but based on the public statements of the front office and the rumors the beats have passed along, I think about half - maybe - of these names are of actual significance.

No Cain, Ellsbury, Frazier (they have said no pure play OFers, plus the first two cost money)

Certainly no Donaldson.

They said no SPs so no Arrieta.

The beats have said they won't chase the Davis/Holland group.

Shaw and Reed appear to be Plans A on bullpen.

Kipnis, Kinsler (tho we heard early on Tigers rejected Met overtures), Harrison, Reyes and maybe Cesar Hernandez seem like the 2B group.

Lind, Morrison, Moreland are likelier 1B. Santana's probably the pipe dream - although Carig notes today what we all knew was true - the early indications of a big 1B signing (and by big, I mean the likely 3/45 contract that Santana commands) is "very unlikely". probably eliminates Morrison too. We're looking for a 1/5 type - the Alejandro de Aza of 1Bman.

Bruce is the one we go back to in January if both sides have been left at the alter in other pursuits. Probably pairs with a Reyes-at-2B signing, and Joe Smith as the major bullpen signing.

That looks like it. One thing to bet on with this group is if they identify X number of areas to address, the likeliest outcome is X-1 or X-2 actually happen, and the chances of X+1 or X+2 are essentially 0.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 am 
NYFS Staff

I agree that it will likely be underwhelming. Sandy's history is doing nothing at WMs except to talk about groundwork. And the payroll thing is going to be evident.

I could see a winter of Reyes, Lind, Joe Smith.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Lets be honest, we're likely looking at signings of Reed and Bruce as the main pieces added this offseason. The FO is on record as saying they like familiarity. The rest of the signings will be periphery guys.

They'll be lucky if they break 2.3m fans this year.

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:36 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
Lets be honest, we're likely looking at signings of Reed and Bruce as the main pieces added this offseason. The FO is on record as saying they like familiarity. The rest of the signings will be periphery guys.

They'll be lucky if they break 2.3m fans this year.

If there were betting odds on 2B, I would put anything on Reyes.

Whenever a plan to start the offseason begins with "Will explore trade options", its very easy to assume that WON'T happen.

Remember when they were going to deal from their glut of 1Bman (DEFINITELY dealing one of Ike or Duda)? Or SP (Definitely dealing Niese or Gee or Wheeler)? Or OF (definitely dealing Grandy or Bruce, and maybe both - h/t Matt Cerrone)?

So yeah, agree, look for familiar face signings, the 2B trade market to never come to fruition, and Reyes is at 2B on OD. Outside chance Walker if his market doesn't develop, though I could also see both if they come cheap enough and Walker being the 1B on OD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm 

Apparently Martino wrote a piece for SNY the other day, he added an interesting name to the mix for bullpen:

Quote:
A trade is also possible. The Orioles, for example, might be willing to move Darren O'Day.

Also, he was a little more bullish on a Kinsler deal:

Quote:
Detroit's Ian Kinsler is still a target, and a more likely trade candidate than Cleveland's Jason Kipnis. The Mets have gotten further in discussions with the Tigers than the Indians, mostly because Detroit is unambiguously willing to move its veterans, and the teams aren't that far apart on players.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/keep-an-eye-on-ian-kinsler-more-at-winter-meetings/263137726

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

We're looking for a 1/5 type - the Alejandro de Aza of 1Bman.

Bruce is the one we go back to in January if both sides have been left at the alter in other pursuits. Probably pairs with a Reyes-at-2B signing, and Joe Smith as the major bullpen signing.

That looks like it. One thing to bet on with this group is if they identify X number of areas to address, the likeliest outcome is X-1 or X-2 actually happen, and the chances of X+1 or X+2 are essentially 0.

I don't think you're far from wrong, but I'm more optimistic than that. Bruce is possible, contract depending. I'm not sure Bruce is a guy they want at 1st base either, but maybe they'll try him/Wilmer there.

A Reyes return is possible but I think they'll aim higher.

and if they go Joe Smith, I think they'll go 2 Joe Smith types.

As much as we make fun of ownership, the Wilpons do want to win and they've spent over their projected budget several times. I think your "realistic" forecast is light. I think they'll do better than that. I have no idea what, cause they're going to shop around but they'll go better than Bruce/Reyes/Smith.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:13 pm 
General Manager

jdawginsc wrote:
I agree that it will likely be underwhelming. Sandy's history is doing nothing at WMs except to talk about groundwork. And the payroll thing is going to be evident.

Maybe, but that would make a great drinking game taking a shot every time you hear the word groundwork. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

Maybe, but that would make a great drinking game taking a shot every time you hear the word groundwork. :lol:

I seem to recall a deal or two at the Winter meetings from Sandy? Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:42 pm 
Franchise Player

Expect a WM of "groundworks" and passing up on the rule 5 draft for Sandy. lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:00 pm 
All Star

LTKfRGM wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

I seem to recall a deal or two at the Winter meetings from Sandy? Am I wrong?

I think the Dickey trade happened on the last day of the meetings.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm 

DiComo

Skepticism abounds that the Mets and Tigers will be able to complete an Ian Kinsler trade. The Pirates' Josh Harrison, whom @MarcCarig first mentioned as an option, would make sense as an alternative.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next