MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:33 am 
NYFS Staff

Thought this might be a shift from the negative. You are Sandy with $10m (and you have to spend it)...

My take:
1. See if Todd Frazier takes it. Not my choice, but it makes sense as a third baseman/caddy for Dom/insurance for Wright thing.
2. See if you can move Ramos for a CF in a cash neutral-ish deal. Everyone knows I am a Pollock guy, but not sure that is possible. (No Span)

Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:36 am 
Legend of NYFS

When AJR had 1.5 years left, he cost Merandy gonzalez- good arm mind you but one that wasn’t exactly at the top
Of our farm despite a mostly barren system.

Why is the assumption now that he’s a hot trade chip? The Kipnis rumor makes sense only if you assume the rumblings of them really wanting to move that contract are true- and it addresses an area they’d likely reinvest the Kipnis savings into anyway. Specific set of circumstances.

But in other cases- where Ramos is trying to be used to entice deals of not “bad” contracts or guys not coming off really down years- how? Why?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

Blackjack and hookers.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 am 
NYFS Staff

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
When AJR had 1.5 years left, he cost Merandy gonzalez- good arm mind you but one that wasn’t exactly at the top

Why is the assumption now that he’s a hot trade chip? The Kipnis rumor makes sense only if you assume the rumblings of them really wanting to move that contract are true- and it addresses an area they’d likely reinvest the Kipnis savings into anyway. Specific set of circumstances.

But in other cases- where Ramos is trying to be used to entice deals of not “bad” contracts or guys not coming off really down years- how? Why?

Not alone; possibly with a sweetener. But some teams would like the short term upside risk and go salary neutral for a part they have depth for (Castro, Span, Kipnis types).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:36 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

I’d be looking for versatile guys I could move mid-seasonif it goes bad. Posted this in other thread (its $15m which I think is more realistic of their budget):

Trade Lagares, Gsellman and Dunn for McCutchen (= +$8m)
Sign Kendrick for 2/$10m ($4m, $6m) - plays some 2B and 1B, as well as occasional OF
Sign Abad for 2/$6m ($3m, $3m)

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:42 am 
Rookie

At that point its basically just putting lipstick on a pig. This team needed a lot of work this offseason. 10M will barely make a dent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:50 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Laxin wrote:
At that point its basically just putting lipstick on a pig. This team needed a lot of work this offseason. 10M will barely make a dent.

Its not about winning it all. Its about duping fans into spending money into September. They just need to pretend to be competitive until September.

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:51 am 
General Manager

Yeah $10 million isn't going very far. I guess they are counting David Wright's entire salary against the payroll again?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:01 am 
NYFS Staff

dragonfly wrote:
Yeah $10 million isn't going very far. I guess they are counting David Wright's entire salary against the payroll again?

I assume so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:01 am 
Legend of NYFS

I miss Omar :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:03 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Not alone; possibly with a sweetener. But some teams would like the short term upside risk and go salary neutral for a part they have depth for (Castro, Span, Kipnis types).

But those guys aren't salary neutral. Thats kind of the point.

If a team needs to move a salary and is looking in the relief market anyway, and Ramos saves them money, I get it.

Like the Indians - who are in a win-now window, but don't have any money, and may be looking at the relief market but can't afford to dive in for Reed - they can trade Kipnis, save $5m this year, get out of $14m next year, and add Ramos. Ok, that could work.

The Dbacks, who are in win-now mode, and also may be running low on Cash, would be taking on money to trade Ramos for Pollack, plus losing their starting CF. Even if last year is the new normal for him and he never becomes the superstar he looked like in 2015 - last year is still more valuable than a reliever, and taking on money? No way.

Again, if Ramos was some hugely sought after asset, do we get him for Merandy Gonzalez while he had 1.5 years of control? I don't think so. It has to be a specific set of circumstances - a team has a guy they want to dump, he fits our holes, they need a reliever but don't want to make the longer term (but similar $$$) commitment to Reed for whatever reason, etc.

Otherwise the only Ramos trades that will likely be available are contenders willing to assume the salary and give you some lower level arm in return.

I feel like we always have 1 or 2 of these guys in the offseason, but if Mets fandom is suddenly becoming "woke" that Ramos at $9m may not be a great use of $ - don't we think other teams realize this too?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:08 am 
Legend of NYFS

Steve The Original wrote:
I miss Omar :(

Merry Christmas!

8)

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next