MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm 
NYFS Staff

jdawginsc wrote:
It's simply the reality, Dog. They aren't going to change the business model.

But wouldn't the better business model be one of paying for top talent, like a Hosmer and/or a Martinez, to help your team win, thus, putting more fannies in the seats? Gettign extra games to put fannies in the seats (playoffs?!?!?). Wouldn't they rather have the team and fan base energized and break even with the alternative of not spending money and not having fannies in the seats? I don't understand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:31 pm 
NYFS Staff

Dog wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

But wouldn't the better business model be one of paying for top talent, like a Hosmer and/or a Martinez, to help your team win, thus, putting more fannies in the seats? Gettign extra games to put fannies in the seats (playoffs?!?!?). Wouldn't they rather have the team and fan base energized and break even with the alternative of not spending money and not having fannies in the seats? I don't understand.

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
Quote:
So how much do we have to spend now after signing Omar?

$25 Million!!!! :)

Right now Omar is setting up Christmas dinner at Eric Hosmer's house.[/quote]

Man, those were the days.

I know its a pipe dream, but this has me reminiscing that Omar, in multiple instances, went into bidding wars where the talk was "LOL Mets can't get that guy" and he got him.

Pedro, Beltran, Santana. No chance at any of them.

Except...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm 
Draft Pick

With only $10 million, I know I can't fill every hole. Regardless, here are three signings and a trade.

Trade: Gsellman, Dunn and Cecchini for Whit Merrifield
Sign: Seung Hwan Oh 1 year, $5 million with a $5 million player option ($1 million buyout)
Sign: Sergio Romo 1 year, $3 million
Sign: Jose Reyes 1 year, $1.5 million

Both Romo and Oh were among the top 50 in swinging strike% among qualified relievers.

I know I'm sticking in-house with 1B and OF depth, but recent history has shown us that those are the easiest/cheapest to fix mid-season. Also, while I certainly don't love the idea of Wilmer at 1B and Nimmo/Lagares both starting if Conforto's out, I like those in-house options more than those at RP.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
NYFS Staff

jdawginsc wrote:
Dog wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

Yes.

:lol:

Thanks, dude. I needed that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm 
Rookie

deGrom to Minnesota for Gordon, Gonsalves, Romero
Syndergaard to Milwaukee for Brinson, Diaz, Burnes and Supak
A.J. Ramos to Baltimore for Ofelky Peralta
Wilmer Flores to Boston for Hanley Ramirez (take entire contract) and Jay Groome
Harvey to Texas for young prospects

Sign most of the young guys off this list: https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ ... zRUZzMb.97

Use the remainder of the money to start a new campaign about how you're more like the Rays and A's now.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:56 pm 
All Star

Steve The Original wrote:
I miss Omar :(

:O

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:58 pm 
All Star

Trade Ramos for salary relief and bring in Darvish and a cheap veteran reliever.

Best of luck young bats.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:49 pm 
NYFS Staff

Wonder what Carlos Gonzales is going to get...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Dog wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

Fred thinks it's 1939 Brooklyn and people are going to show up because they're fans of the team and they don't have anything better to do.

I spoke to a guy at a bar the other night who said he'd had season tickets since 1980 and just canceled them this year because he's tired of ownership. Hear hear.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:29 pm 
Franchise Player

northway wrote:
I spoke to a guy at a bar the other night who said he'd had season tickets since 1980 and just canceled them this year because he's tired of ownership. Hear hear.

I'm nowhere near as big a "loss", but I attend several games per year and spend on merchandise and such. I'm no longer doing so. They don't get another nickel of my money until they start spending theirs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:36 pm 
Franchise Player

jdawginsc wrote:
Wonder what Carlos Gonzales is going to get...

He might well be the steal of the offseason. One year deal plus an option? Even without the option, if he rebounds you can QO him and get picks or one more year of CarGo. I'm in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next