MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:55 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 23817
Location: Pittsburgh
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Man, those were the days.

I know its a pipe dream, but this has me reminiscing that Omar, in multiple instances, went into bidding wars where the talk was "LOL Mets can't get that guy" and he got him.

Pedro, Beltran, Santana. No chance at any of them.

Except...


Remember when Santana gave us the treatment that Mike Stanton just gave the Yankees? Those were times of plenty.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 23817
Location: Pittsburgh
slugox wrote:
northway wrote:
I spoke to a guy at a bar the other night who said he'd had season tickets since 1980 and just canceled them this year because he's tired of ownership. Hear hear.


I'm nowhere near as big a "loss", but I attend several games per year and spend on merchandise and such. I'm no longer doing so. They don't get another nickel of my money until they start spending theirs.


Same. This is entertainment. The payroll affects the quality of the entertainment offered. The Wilponian argument is that the movie would have been better if more people had gone to see the previous film in the sequence. While this rationale might hold for The Mighty Ducks VI: Ducks of Flushing, Mets ownership is really unique in pushing it for a professional sports franchise.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:50 pm 
Online
Franchise Player

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:30 pm
Posts: 3489
northway wrote:
slugox wrote:
northway wrote:
I spoke to a guy at a bar the other night who said he'd had season tickets since 1980 and just canceled them this year because he's tired of ownership. Hear hear.


I'm nowhere near as big a "loss", but I attend several games per year and spend on merchandise and such. I'm no longer doing so. They don't get another nickel of my money until they start spending theirs.


Same. This is entertainment. The payroll affects the quality of the entertainment offered. The Wilponian argument is that the movie would have been better if more people had gone to see the previous film in the sequence. While this rationale might hold for The Mighty Ducks VI: Ducks of Flushing, Mets ownership is really unique in pushing it for a professional sports franchise.


LOL. Weasels gonna weasel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 9521
Wilpons just need to sell. Never in it to win it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:45 am 
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 5780
IlikeIKE wrote:
Wilpons just need to sell. Never in it to win it


Never gonna sell. They make enough money by constantly being on the cutting edge of mediocrity. Also, Jeffy and the family love to be known as the Mets owners.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:17 am 
Online
Franchise Player

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:30 pm
Posts: 3489
dragonfly wrote:
IlikeIKE wrote:
Wilpons just need to sell. Never in it to win it


Never gonna sell. They make enough money by constantly being on the cutting edge of mediocrity. Also, Jeffy and the family love to be known as the Mets owners.


I'm not sure that renown is as positive as he thinks it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:48 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12003
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Any accountants here? Trump had to have just cut the Wilpons taxes a fair bit. Corporate rate down to 21%. That's got to be worth 5-10 million to them.

I think Fred wants to pass the team to Jeff - that way Jeff pays inheritance tax but they circumvent capital gains that way (er, I think - again, any accountants here?)

Jeff might sell, Fred won't. That's my guess based on simple accounting. Fred could also seek a partner and become co-owner.

_________________
Why is Santa always so jolly?
Because he knows where all the naughty girls live.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:18 am 
User avatar
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 1768
slugox wrote:
dragonfly wrote:
IlikeIKE wrote:
Wilpons just need to sell. Never in it to win it


Never gonna sell. They make enough money by constantly being on the cutting edge of mediocrity. Also, Jeffy and the family love to be known as the Mets owners.


I'm not sure that renown is as positive as he thinks it is.



IMFAMOUS owners of the Mets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 38454
Location: Panic City
Why would anyone sell a baseball team?

You're absolutely printing money.

Why invest in payroll when they're giving you free money?


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 23494
Location: charleston, sc
R Nitelight wrote:
Why would anyone sell a baseball team?

You're absolutely printing money.

Why invest in payroll when they're giving you free money?


8)


Exactly. They are under no obligation to please anyone. Which is crappy in the entertainment business.

My issue is that they are absolute turds who hide behind GMs, and speak ill of those who leave, and bilked people out of millions in the Madoff scandal.

That alone should have been grounds for selling.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12003
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
jdawginsc wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
Why would anyone sell a baseball team?

You're absolutely printing money.

Why invest in payroll when they're giving you free money?


8)


Exactly. They are under no obligation to please anyone. Which is crappy in the entertainment business.

My issue is that they are absolute turds who hide behind GMs, and speak ill of those who leave, and bilked people out of millions in the Madoff scandal.

That alone should have been grounds for selling.


Even printing money still has a value associated to it. There's a forcast-able peak earning capacity and a value can be set on any franchise. Jeff might sell, or he might sell a share of the team and indirectly increase spending/pay off his debt that way. I still think it's our best hope.

_________________
Why is Santa always so jolly?
Because he knows where all the naughty girls live.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You have a net $10 m to spend; how do you do it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 pm
Posts: 21252
Location: NJ
I don't think there is much you can do with that much to spend. Moving Ramos and his projected $9.2M arbitration salary would be a must. That would probably give you enough wiggle room to sign two of Dyson, Frazier, or Walker. But does that really make the team that much better? As the team is currently constructed, Fangraphs' depth charts project the Mets to get about 2 WAR from each of CF, 3B, and 2B. All three of the above players are projected for something around 2 to 2.5 WAR. I'm not taking those depth chart projections as gospel, but it is still worth noting. And you're also downgrading the bullpen by dumping Ramos.

So, I don't really know. It would require a lot of creativity to make this roster into a contender with such little budget room. I think the team can compete for a wild card spot but there's at least a handful of other teams in that mix as well, and a few of those teams are in better shape than the Mets (Cardinals and D-Backs; probably the Giants; possibly the Pirates too if they don't trade Cole?)... and with little resources also on the farm, you'd probably be better off rebuilding.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], egelband2, Google [Bot], slugox, Yahoo [Bot] and 86 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists