Austin McGeorge (RHP) 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Matt Pobereyko (RHP) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Matt Winaker (1b) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gregory Guerrero (SS) 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Who is #36?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Rookie maximums for at-bats (130), games pitched (30) or innings (50) in the major leagues"

If the 2 leaders are within 5% of each other, or the leader has less than 35% there will be a run-off between the top 2. If a run-off results in a tie the tiebreaker will be vote total in the previous poll, we will continue to "go back" in the polls until there is a clear leader.
*Rosario ineligible
*Dom ineligible

P.S. don't stress too much if you feel player X deserves to be on this list vs. player Y. It's extremely unlikely someone not yet nominated would be win any given poll. Nominate those you see fit.
** Executive decision, pulled the plug early on #7. By having the polls begin in the morning it allows for a more lively discussion. Lindsay was running away with the vote. Same with #10. Poll #11 will only have 9 options, I accidently had Kay listed a second time (copy and paste, sue me lol)

1) Andres Gimenez (SS) 12/27 votes-44%
2) David Peterson (LHP) 12/24 votes-50%
3) Mark Vientos (SS/3B) 13/24 votes-54%
4) Peter Alonso (1B) 21/28 votes-75%
5) Thomas Szapucki (LHP) 10/22-45%
6) Justin Dunn (RHP) 4/20-20%, runoff with Lindsay/Guillorme/Kay 9/22-41%
7) Desmond Lindsay (OF) 12/26-46%
8) Luis Guillorme (SS) 8/25-32%, run-off with Kay 11/22-50%, advances due to more votes in previous poll
9) Anthony Kay (LHP) 9/24-38%, run-off with Bashlor 10/20-50%, advances due to more votes in previous poll
10) Tyler Bashlor (RHP) 11/16-69%
11) Tomas Nido (C) 6/24-25%, run-off with Molina and Oswalt 12/20 60%
12) Marcos Molina (RHP) 6/20-30%, run-off with Evans 13/20-65%
13) Ronny Mauricio (SS) 6/17-35%
14) Gavin Cecchini (2B) 6/23-26%, run-off with Mazeika 12/15-80%
15) Chris Flexen (RHP) 8/26-31%, run-off with Mazeika/Thompson 8/11-73%
16) Patrick Mazeika (C) 6/22-27%, run-off with Thompson 8/14-57%
17) Corey Oswalt (RHP) 6/21-29%, run-off with Thompson 10/18-56%
18) David Thompson (3B) 8/21-38%
19) Jordan Humphreys (RHP) 9/16-56%
20) Kevin Kaczmarski (OF) 5/14-36%
21)Gerson Bautista (RHP) 5/24-21%, run-off with Evans 11/19-58%
22) Phil Evans (UTIL) 6/17-35%
23) Juan Uriarte (C) 6/19-32%
24) Drew Smith (RHP) 6/21-29%, run-off with Uceta 11/18-61%
25) Adonis Uceta (RHP) 9/20-45%
26) Jamie Callahan (RHP) 3/14-21%, Runoff with Holderman/Conlon 9/16-56%
27) PJ Conlon 6/16-38%
28) Nabil Crismatt 4/14-29%, Runoff with Holderman 10/17-59%
29) Colin Holderman 3/14-21%, Runoff with Blackham 7/13-54%
30) Matt Blackham 5/18 28%, Runoff with Becerra 9/13-69%
31) Steven Villines 3/15-20%, runoff with Becerra/James/Brodey 6/15-40%
32) Adrian Hernandez 3/17-18%, Run off with Becerra/James/Brodey 4/11-36%
33) Jhoan Urena (1b/3B) 3/16-19%, runoff with James 6/11-55%
34) Christian James (RHP) 4/16-25%, runoff with Nogosek 7/12-58%
35) Stephen Nogosek 8/17-47%

Post subject: Re: Who is #36?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Out of curiosity, where do you guys stand on Bradford & McGowan. Both are on the 40, not cut like Becerra. Both are (I think) still rookie eligible. We sometimes overlook the players who are on the roster. I think both of those guys should go about now and I have them both over several in the 10 options above.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Rhame in the lead here is a little surprising. I actually think he can be an excellent batting practice pitcher. Anything more, I have my doubts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

If nobody's been nominated, can I nominate Carpaccio?

HeyNowHK wrote:
Rhame in the lead here is a little surprising. I actually think he can be an excellent batting practice pitcher. Anything more, I have my doubts.

I think Rhame's spot on the 40 is pretty secure right now. He won't even be the first cut. Becerra who's gotten votes, was cut and not selected. I think Rhame's a good pick here. Who did you vote for HK?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
If nobody's been nominated, can I nominate Carpaccio?

HeyNowHK wrote:

I think Rhame's spot on the 40 is pretty secure right now. He won't even be the first cut. Becerra who's gotten votes, was cut and not selected. I think Rhame's a good pick here. Who did you vote for HK?

Aside from being on the 40, I'm not really sure what you saw in Rhame. His 9 outings were thoroughly hideous.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Aside from being on the 40, I'm not really sure what you saw in Rhame. His 9 outings were thoroughly hideous.

Small sample size. Learning curve. Jitters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:05 pm 
Manager

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

And at least he got close enough to get the call. I'm doubtful that any of Nogosek, Villines, Blackham, McGeorge, or Bautista would look any better at that level right now, anyway.

Rhame is going to take some time, he's still too much of a one pitch guy. He has a big arm and some ability to throw strikes (his BB9 for the season was 1.7). But he needs to come up with another pitch that's actually worth throwing for a strike.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

And at least he got close enough to get the call. I'm doubtful that any of Nogosek, Villines, Blackham, McGeorge, or Bautista would look any better at that level right now, anyway.

Rhame is going to take some time, he's still too much of a one pitch guy. He has a big arm and some ability to throw strikes (his BB9 for the season was 1.7). But he needs to come up with another pitch that's actually worth throwing for a strike.

Rhame 'got the call' bc it was his time (would have required protecting anyway) as much as anything else. He was basically the next guy up.

Those others mentioned wouldn't look any better right now bc they are all largely inexperienced to this point. It's hard to say that any of the others has big ML upside either, but there is at least some reason to be excited about a few of them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:44 pm 
Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
Those others mentioned wouldn't look any better right now bc they are all largely inexperienced to this point. It's hard to say that any of the others has big ML upside either, but there is at least some reason to be excited about a few of them.

We're talking about pen arms here, though. I just don't think being less experienced really correlates to having more upside with guys like this. It is true though that Rhame would potentially end up a minor league FA if you took him off the roster, and will end up being out of options before these other guys.

But he also has over 100 innings in AAA at this point. He's not a guy they had to add to the roster prematurely.

And Blackham, Bautista, and for that matter, Uceta, have all been around nearly as long as Rhame, but haven't made it to AA (except Uceta for 6 IP). And McGeorge and Villines are soft-tossers compared to Rhame.

I guess I'm having trouble being even a little excited about most of these guys. Uceta I can see is a little more interesting than Rhame, and maybe Bautista has a bit more upside as well. I could see a GM from another team asking for one of those two before Rhame, at least. But I think Rhame is as interesting as any of the other four.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

We're talking about pen arms here, though. I just don't think being less experienced really correlates to having more upside with guys like this.

I didn't try to make such a correlation. I said the others 'wouldn't look any better' [than Rhame] right now bc they are mostly less exposed/experienced arms.

acerimusdux wrote:
And Blackham, Bautista, and for that matter, Uceta, have all been around nearly as long as Rhame, but haven't made it to AA (except Uceta for 6 IP). And McGeorge and Villines are soft-tossers compared to Rhame.

I guess I'm having trouble being even a little excited about most of these guys. Uceta I can see is a little more interesting than Rhame, and maybe Bautista has a bit more upside as well. I could see a GM from another team asking for one of those two before Rhame, at least. But I think Rhame is as interesting as any of the other four.

Blackham has less than half the IP of Rhame. And clearly we know it's not just about velocity. Heck, Rhame validates that point. You basically said it above... without a 2nd pitch he's likely to continue to struggle.

If velocity alone makes him interesting, fine. If you were also rating on the eye test, he was hideous.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:59 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Rhame 'got the call' bc it was his time (would have required protecting anyway) as much as anything else. He was basically the next guy up.

Minor point, but Rhame was already on the 40. The Dodgers had him on the 40 all year. That's actually a bit of a knock on him, being on the 40 but not earning even a minute of MLB time with LA.

Still, I think the 40 man spot puts him ahead of Becerra who got bumped from the 40 and Becerra's getting votes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:22 am 
Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
I didn't try to make such a correlation. I said the others 'wouldn't look any better' [than Rhame] right now bc they are mostly less exposed/experienced arms.

I only thought you were implying that they might look better after more experience or exposure.

But I am saying I don't think they have more a chance to improve than Rhame. The recent draftees have more time, but also farther to go to get there. If their ceilings are all pen arms, I don't really see more to dream on there.