MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Harper kills a Sandy fallacy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm 
Blue Chipper

I think it's silly to complain about the lack of Murphys and Dudas in the system right now (regarding their draft position). Sure, this office has a pretty bad track record with college bats at this point, but getting stars in the 12th round isn't the norm and we shouldn't necessarily expect it.

It's tough to build a contender through the draft alone, especially when you're not getting Top 5 picks. That's why FA exists. Complaining about drafting is just a smart distraction off the Wilpons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:32 pm 
General Manager

But there are those here who don't want us spending money on FA either

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 pm 
All Star

Hot Takes wrote:
I think it's silly to complain about the lack of Murphys and Dudas in the system right now (regarding their draft position). Sure, this office has a pretty bad track record with college bats at this point, but getting stars in the 12th round isn't the norm and we shouldn't necessarily expect it.

It's tough to build a contender through the draft alone, especially when you're not getting Top 5 picks. That's why FA exists. Complaining about drafting is just a smart distraction off the Wilpons.

The problem with the Mets is that they are getting horrible players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I understand striking out in the 12th round but you need to get a few hits or something in the higher rounds. The guys they are getting (aside from Alonso) are struggling in A ball and that's something that really shouldn't happen no matter how bad the hitting environment might be. And Andrew Church.....ugh. Teams like the Cardinals are getting results from players they are drafting late. The Mets are not. There is obviously a problem with the scouting department.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 am 
Blue Chipper

I had a long post typed out listing the Cardinals' 2nd round picks over the past ten years but decided that it was too long and boring and no one would read it.

But the conclusion was that their best 2nd round pick over that stretch is Carson Kelly, their current #2 prospect. The rest are either guys who didn't reach the majors, didn't have an impact in the majors, or are middling prospects.

The draft is a crap shoot. Sure, it's easy to second guess certain picks in hindsight, and some drafts may not turn out well, but we've had our fair share of later-round success in the past, and it's still to early to judge most Sandy drafts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 am 
Blue Chipper

Except 2014. That draft, outside of Conforto, sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
I had a long post typed out listing the Cardinals' 2nd round picks over the past ten years but decided that it was too long and boring and no one would read it.

But the conclusion was that their best 2nd round pick over that stretch is Carson Kelly, their current #2 prospect. The rest are either guys who didn't reach the majors, didn't have an impact in the majors, or are middling prospects.

The draft is a crap shoot. Sure, it's easy to second guess certain picks in hindsight, and some drafts may not turn out well, but we've had our fair share of later-round success in the past, and it's still to early to judge most Sandy drafts.

That's my observation as well. There's a lot of misses in the draft. If there is an overall draft strategy that might work, I like the Cubs strategy of drafting hitters (better odds at staying healthy) and trading for pitchers. Ofcourse, if everyone uses the same strategy it stops working

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:27 pm 
All Star

LTKfRGM wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

That's my observation as well. There's a lot of misses in the draft. If there is an overall draft strategy that might work, I like the Cubs strategy of drafting hitters (better odds at staying healthy) and trading for pitchers. Ofcourse, if everyone uses the same strategy it stops working

The problem is after you draft them you have to develop them and the Mets have been pretty bad at developing bats for a while now. Prospects 1500 released the Yankees top 50 prospects today and it seems like almost every arm they have throws 95+ MPH with several guys hitting 100 MPH. Personally if you are not going to spend on free agents then you have to pump money into scouting and you should start by poaching scouts from the Yankees and Dodgers. And I know you are seriously going to have to over pay them to keep them from their teams who have big pockets but dang you have to do something. The Yanks have set themselves up to win for a very long time and eventually thats going to cripple the Mets even more financially.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:53 pm 
NYFS Staff

Harper back-tracked anyhow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:

The problem is after you draft them you have to develop them and the Mets have been pretty bad at developing bats for a while now. Prospects 1500 released the Yankees top 50 prospects today and it seems like almost every arm they have throws 95+ MPH with several guys hitting 100 MPH. Personally if you are not going to spend on free agents then you have to pump money into scouting and you should start by poaching scouts from the Yankees and Dodgers. And I know you are seriously going to have to over pay them to keep them from their teams who have big pockets but dang you have to do something. The Yanks have set themselves up to win for a very long time and eventually thats going to cripple the Mets even more financially.

I think most would agree that the Yanks have drafted better than most teams. They've probably spent a lot more on scouting than average too.

They've also worked the system, getting players like Granderson, then offering him a QO and getting a compensation pick in return. Since the new system went in place they probably got more compensation picks than any other team. And lets not forget the 40 million they spent on the international market one year.

So, yes, they drafted well, but they had other advantges in their corner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 pm 
All Star

LTKfRGM wrote:
piazzafan wrote:

I think most would agree that the Yanks have drafted better than most teams. They've probably spent a lot more on scouting than average too.

They've also worked the system, getting players like Granderson, then offering him a QO and getting a compensation pick in return. Since the new system went in place they probably got more compensation picks than any other team. And lets not forget the 40 million they spent on the international market one year.

So, yes, they drafted well, but they had other advantges in their corner.

The Mets had the same opportunites to work the system. They chose not and now have to deal with their cross town rivals setting themselves up for 10 more years of success. But like I said before they need to start poaching top level scouts and coaches. And it also wouldn't be a bad idea to move on from the extreme pitchers parks they have in the minors. Or at least tweak them to make them more hitter friendly in order to help the bats out a little.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:

Why limit it to the 2nd round? Sure each pick individually is a crap shoot - no one denies that. Thats why a plan centered solely around building through amateur talent acquisition (and development) can't work - need to at least be opportunistic in trades.

But thats also why you get 40 shots at it. If we're sticking with the Cards, look at the Cards 2nd - 20th round picks and compare them to ours. In there you'll find:

Matt Carpenter (13)
Paul deJong (4)
Tommy Pham (16)
Lance Lynn (supplemental)
Tyler Lyons (9)
Trevor Rosenthal (21)
Matt Adams (23)

Plus all sorts of early round picks they actually hit on, like Wacha, Piscotty, Wong, Weaver, etc. Even if those guys have different degrees of actual success, thats better than the Gavin cecchinis of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm 
All Star

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

Why limit it to the 2nd round? Sure each pick individually is a crap shoot - no one denies that. Thats why a plan centered solely around building through amateur talent acquisition (and development) can't work - need to at least be opportunistic in trades.

But thats also why you get 40 shots at it. If we're sticking with the Cards, look at the Cards 2nd - 20th round picks and compare them to ours. In there you'll find:

Matt Carpenter (13)
Paul deJong (4)
Tommy Pham (16)
Lance Lynn (supplemental)
Tyler Lyons (9)
Trevor Rosenthal (21)
Matt Adams (23)

Plus all sorts of early round picks they actually hit on, like Wacha, Piscotty, Wong, Weaver, etc. Even if those guys have different degrees of actual success, thats better than the Gavin cecchinis of the world.

And don't forget about Allan Craig who had a nice run with them before his decline. They are doing something right.