MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any ideas on how to fix the Farm System?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:15 pm 
All Star

Braves, Phillies and Nats have almost 20 % of the top ten prospect in baseball according to some sources

We have None. How big a problem is this and how can it be fixed?

Post subject: Re: Any ideas on how to fix the Farm System?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Selling off 5 or 6 productive veterans should do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:21 pm 
MVP

It's a huge problem for an organization that's not willing to spend on free agents. You fix the problem by pumping money into scouting and hiring scouts away from the Yanks and Dodgers. If you look at the arms in the Yanks minor leagues the majority of these guys throw harder than 95+. The ones that don't are guys who were high school draftees who are expected to add velocity. The Yanks don't waste time on soft tossers and its an amazing scouting and development program that they implemented.

Also, you can fix the problem by firing Alderson. We traded a ton of bats and a few arms and only got marginal relievers back. Knowing full well we would have holes in the lineup the guy only focused on relievers and ones that weren't particularly good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:23 pm 
MVP

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Selling off 5 or 6 productive veterans should do it.

Why? So Alderson could bring back more relievers? He's a terrible GM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:26 pm 
General Manager

How are you going to hire scouts from the Yanks and Dodgers. That’s money they can toss around with no luxury tax implications. They can outspend you all day long

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 pm 
MVP

TomInNC wrote:
How are you going to hire scouts from the Yanks and Dodgers. That’s money they can toss around with no luxury tax implications. They can outspend you all day long

Very true. But you have to at least make an attempt. I'm sorry but if the attitude of this organization is "we can't compete with the Yanks on any level" then just sell or move the team. The Yanks are going to be really good the next 10 years and you can see them stealing more fans away from the Mets. Also, those kids who grew up idolizing Jeter now have jobs and some disposable income. It's financially ugly in Queens and it's going to get worse. The Yanks are going to cash in for a second time on the Jeter era (or 3rd if you count the Stanton trade) and I will be blunt in saying the Mets can't compete with them. It's too late. And for the record they are just getting started. They are acquiring stars and being allowed to keep their top prospects. The Mets are finished as long as the Wilpons hold on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I think the farm system will look signifiantly better next year by default, unless things go really really wrong.

1) The farm is down now due to graduations, primarily Rosario & Dom but also Nimmo, Gsellman & maybe Lugo. Graduations hurt a farm system, but the team doesn't lose any of that young talent.

2) Injuries took a toll. Peterson didn't pitch, Szapucki, Kay, Humphreys (if you count him) were Tommy Johned. Lindsay's dealing with injuries, Molina's lost velocity from Tommy John. Injuries happen to every team, but they hurt several top 10 and former top 10 mets this year.

3) We have some young talent on the way up. Peterson needs to pitch, Vientos could make a case for top 100 with a good year. Gimenez could make a case for top 50. Mauricio, if he opens state side, could impress, the #6 pick helps too. If things break right the Mets could be back at least to league average this time next year in prospect ranking with 3 legit candidates for top 100 (Peterson, Gimenez & #6 pick, with a handful of others with an outside shot at top 100 consideration with good seasons - Lindsay, Alonso, Vientos, Mauricio). Hutchison is a dark-horse sleeper with upside.

4) We won't see much talent graduating next year. They might lose Guillorme, maybe Bashlor, Oswalt or Cecchini to graduation, but that won't be a big blow to the team's prospect ranking.

The trick is stuff breaking right or them. 2016 the minors broke right. Lots of guys stepped up and had good years. 2017, kind of the opposite. Almost everything went wrong/guys got hurt, took a step back, etc.

2018 might fix itself. Keep fingers and toes crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:10 pm 
General Manager

The Mets sure haven't been able to crank out much star power from their system over the past 30 years.

1. Wright
2. Reyes

deGrom is borderline - has been amazing but still needs about 3 more really good years to bet included. Alfonzo is borderline. 4 best seasons averaged 5.8 WAR and then not much else outside of that.

That's all I got. And it's not like they haven't had high draft picks. Internationally they're a bust.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 pm 
General Manager

piazzafan wrote:
TomInNC wrote:

Very true. But you have to at least make an attempt. I'm sorry but if the attitude of this organization is "we can't compete with the Yanks on any level" then just sell or move the team. The Yanks are going to be really good the next 10 years and you can see them stealing more fans away from the Mets. Also, those kids who grew up idolizing Jeter now have jobs and some disposable income. It's financially ugly in Queens and it's going to get worse. The Yanks are going to cash in for a second time on the Jeter era (or 3rd if you count the Stanton trade) and I will be blunt in saying the Mets can't compete with them. It's too late. And for the record they are just getting started. They are acquiring stars and being allowed to keep their top prospects. The Mets are finished as long as the Wilpons hold on.

Call it what you want but they can’t and never will spend with the Yanks. So anything that involves outspending the Yanks is a non-starter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
The Mets sure haven't been able to crank out much star power from their system over the past 30 years.

1. Wright
2. Reyes

deGrom is borderline - has been amazing but still needs about 3 more really good years to bet included. Alfonzo is borderline. 4 best seasons averaged 5.8 WAR and then not much else outside of that.

That's all I got. And it's not like they haven't had high draft picks. Internationally they're a bust.

Carlos Gomez had 8 and a 5 war season.
Daniel Murphy is pretty darn good now.
Conforto (pre injury) looked like he was on his way to stardom.
and Rosario (still early), but he could be one too.

30 years includes several managers and I think it's pretty clear the mets have not been a well run team on average, since the shining beacon that was 1986. Not sure this applies to the current mets, but maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:30 pm 
Legend of NYFS

It's not hard.

Trade every good player and lose 100 games the next 5 years.

Anyone want to sign up for that?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm 
All Star

So what I’m seeing here is We graduated our prospects and the next batch need another year or two to reach solid prospect level

I also see we can’t spend with Yanks and Dodgers

So couldn’t it be as simple as signing two or three solid mid level free agents to 3-4 year deals?

There would be no holes to fill until 2020 if everyone remained healthy