- Yogi.

Post subject: Re: #38 runoff Becerra vs. McNeil vs. McGeorge
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
I'd like to nominate

Nelmerson Xavier Mariano Silvano Angela

He throws mid 80's...

Anyway Planck is next, followed by Paez and Carpio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 am 
Legend of NYFS

Well, I mentioned the idea of looking at some DSL guys. Admittedly it's pretty hard bc it's little more than stat scouting, but there are a bunch of potentially interesting names there that probably end up carrying this system 2 and 3 years from now. I'll just throw out these 8 (non-pitchers):

Shervyen Newton 3B (19) - he was mentioned a bunch of times this past season
Luis Santana 2B (18)
Yoel Romero 2B (20)
Edgardo Fermin 2B/SS (20)
Jose Peroza 3B (18)
Sebastian Espino SS (18)
Moises Gonzalez OF (18)
David Lozano 1B/2B (20)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Well, I mentioned the idea of looking at some DSL guys. Admittedly it's pretty hard bc it's little more than stat scouting, but there are a bunch of potentially interesting names there that probably end up carrying this system 2 and 3 years from now. I'll just throw out these 8 (non-pitchers):

Luis Santana 2B (18)
Yoel Romero 2B (20)
Jose Peroza 3B (18)
Sebastian Espino SS (18)
Moises Gonzalez OF (18)
David Lozano 1B/2B (20)

Given none are big bonus guys or received any "mainstream mention". I personally feel (even in an awful system) those are the types you monitor as potentially on a future list vs. a top 50 guy right now. Stats mean close to nothing in the DSL, none are particularly young for the level, even if you go by stats nobody jumped off the page and it's not as if we hear "one guy who might be interesting is....". I don't think any IFA is a top 50 prospect without a significant bonus or some sort of legit "mention" from the mainstream writers until they come over. Newton for example is a plus athlete with a live arm (might end up on the mound) but it's not as if anyone is really talking him up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 am 
Blue Chipper

Luis Santana had a phenomenal year...
Yes it’s DSL, but let’s see how he progresses in Kingsport next season.

2017 Stats:
.325/.430/.481

8 Triples... that’s like lance Johnson amounts...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 am 
Legend of NYFS

I mean I don't particularly love say Tony Dibrell, but I really doubt a single team in baseball is taking one of those IFA names over him, I don't particularly know much about Nate Peden but if he received 125,000 to sign as an IFA, with the same measurable (6'4) and age (19) I don't think anyone would be advocating top 50 without some additional information ie buzz from another source.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:53 am 
Blue Chipper

Metro2007 wrote:
I mean I don't particularly love say Tony Dibrell, but I really doubt a single team in baseball is taking one of those IFA names over him, I don't particularly know much about Nate Peden but if he received 125,000 to sign as an IFA, with the same measurable (6'4) and age (19) I don't think anyone would be advocating top 50 without some additional information ie buzz from another source.

Agreed but man did these guys tear up the DSL... I’m just viewing the stat lines... Will be nice to monitor these guys for the next couple of seasons with some of our other high bonus IFAs...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:53 am 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:
Luis Santana had a phenomenal year...
Yes it’s DSL, but let’s see how he progresses in Kingsport next season.

2017 Stats:
.325/.430/.481

8 Triples... that’s like lance Johnson amounts...

That's not particularly impressive for the DSL in the grand scheme. Go back and look at the league leaders in OPS every year, it's 99% "never even became a middling prospect in the states".

2012-2014 (meaning enough time where at this point they should be known prospects)

Manuel Joseph
Divenson Pimental
Carlos Vidal
Raul Siri
Felix Santana

Domingo Leyba
Richi Sanchez
Dalfis Ortiz
Carlos Munoz
Alex Mercedes

Vicente Lupo (yup)
Jose Figueroa
Gabriel Guerrero
Eduard Pinto
Josmar Cordero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:56 am 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

Agreed but man did these guys tear up the DSL... I’m just viewing the stat lines... Will be nice to monitor these guys for the next couple of seasons with some of our other high bonus IFAs...

Like I said
1) Offensive leagues
2) Almost no evidence doing really well in the DSL = doing well in the US. This is a debate that comes up every few years. I remember Oscar Hernandez going NUTS in the DSL as a 17 year old .423/.503/.732, to the point there was actual buzz regarding his performance and he's a success story... he made the bigs 47 career PA's hitting .167 and he's a catcher where you can almost "fake it" if you are even passable back there enough to see a big league game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:59 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Luis Santana 2B (18)
Yoel Romero 2B (20)
Jose Peroza 3B (18)
Sebastian Espino SS (18)
Moises Gonzalez OF (18)
David Lozano 1B/2B (20)

Given none are big bonus guys or received any "mainstream mention". I personally feel (even in an awful system) those are the types you monitor as potentially on a future list vs. a top 50 guy right now. Stats mean close to nothing in the DSL, none are particularly young for the level, even if you go by stats nobody jumped off the page and it's not as if we hear "one guy who might be interesting is....". I don't think any IFA is a top 50 prospect without a significant bonus or some sort of legit "mention" from the mainstream writers until they come over. Newton for example is a plus athlete with a live arm (might end up on the mound) but it's not as if anyone is really talking him up.

BTW, those are next season ages.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Before the horse gets all the way out of the barn here, I didn't say any of these guys were going to be stars. This is all relative... I'm saying that the Mets appear to have had a couple of solid int'l classes (for them) in 15 and 16 (and if Mauricio is as good as advertised, possibly 17 the best) and given the relative weakness of the system, we could see a bunch of these intl signees eventually taking up big chunks of future Mets top 30s.

So, mostly this is something to file away.