MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets sign Jay Bruce 3 years 39 million
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:00 pm 
All Star

chinabox wrote:
I honestly don't care if the Mets are technically better than they otherwise would be by brining back the same roster as last season. For my sanity and level of entertainment, I would rather watch a worse, different team than a repeat of last season where we all fiddle with our rosaries when any of the pitchers steps onto the mound. That we all watched the season last year and are clamoring to reassemble the same roster is...not entertaining.

In that regard, the Mets are a different organization.

They have a different manager, pitching coach, and medical staff.

They have as much pitching talent as any other organization, so if these changes do more for keeping their arms healthy, then even an average offense and defense makes the Mets playoff contenders.

I think these changes should pay off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 pm 
NYFS Staff

chinabox wrote:
I honestly don't care if the Mets are technically better than they otherwise would be by brining back the same roster as last season. For my sanity and level of entertainment, I would rather watch a worse, different team than a repeat of last season where we all fiddle with our rosaries when any of the pitchers steps onto the mound. That we all watched the season last year and are clamoring to reassemble the same roster is...not entertaining.

With all of the guys out there, we are tied to Bruce, Duda, Walker, Reyes, even Reed.

At least Swazak is new!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
chinabox wrote:

In that regard, the Mets are a different organization.

They have a different manager, pitching coach, and medical staff.

They have as much pitching talent as any other organization, so if these changes do more for keeping their arms healthy, then even an average offense and defense makes the Mets playoff contenders.

I think these changes should pay off.

I think there have been some potentially positive changes. I think one or more of the RP additions will become key components of the pen if not this year, then in the near future and so that was necessary groundwork to lay for future Mets teams. We don't know yet how the coaching staff changes will manifest on the field... prob less so than some think.

But the bigger problem was the usual paralysis from any change that has us back in more of less the same roster configuration as a year ago. That means the same flawed boring station to station, below average defensive team. I mean, even if we were just talking about trying to upgrade around the fringes and then at least you take a shot at getting lucky on a guy like a Profar, but even that seems too big a mountain for this FO to climb. And yes, I know no other team has closed on a Profar deal... so the FO defenders have that, if they want.

And sure most of the league is on moth balls this winter but I really dont care what the rest of the league is doing. The teams that want to win have been active and are trying to control their own destiny. There is obviously plenty of time left but there's little reason to expect a change in philosophy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 pm 
MVP

dragonfly wrote:
Mets should sign Reed for $30 million and 3 years because they're going to need a closer after this season.

No way. It's very dangerous to give a reliever with an average fastball a 3 year contract. If he loses just one mile an hour on his fastball, his major league career is essentially over.

BTW, after seeing what Ramos got in arbitration wouldn't it have been smarter for them just to sign a free agent reliever this year instead of trading a pretty good minor league pitcher for Ramos last summer?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 pm 
Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
I think there have been some potentially positive changes. I think one or more of the RP additions will become key components of the pen if not this year, then in the near future and so that was necessary groundwork to lay for future Mets teams.

Agree, and I'm not that worried about the pen. The pen was one of the best in baseball in 2016, with not much behind Familia, Reed, Blevens, and Robles. A significant decline from Robles, and missing Familia most of the year, made them much worse in 2017. With Familia back and Swarzak added, you only need for one of Ramos or Robles to have a bit of a bounce back, and you have a chance to have a top pen again. Also thought Callahan in perticular looked like he might be able to contribute this year.

HeyNowHK wrote:
And sure most of the league is on moth balls this winter but I really dont care what the rest of the league is doing. The teams that want to win have been active and are trying to control their own destiny. There is obviously plenty of time left but there's little reason to expect a change in philosophy.

Yes, when other teams are holding back, that's your best chance to take advantage of free agency. The Mets, having economized in recent years, and sold off veterans at the deadline, were in a unique position to take advantage of the seeming soft market. You are 100% correct to keep bringing up Cozart, as he was the exact kind of player we needed, and he signed to play 3B, which was our position of greatest need. The Angels managed to retain Justin Upton, and land Ohtani and Cozart this offseason, in addition to top prospect Kevin Maitan, all without spending a ton of money.

There's still time, but some of the best opportunities have already been missed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:

HeyNowHK wrote:

Yes, when other teams are holding back, that's your best chance to take advantage of free agency. The Mets, having economized in recent years, and sold off veterans at the deadline, were in a unique position to take advantage of the seeming soft market. You are 100% correct to keep bringing up Cozart, as he was the exact kind of player we needed, and he signed to play 3B, which was our position of greatest need. The Angels managed to retain Justin Upton, and land Ohtani and Cozart this offseason, in addition to top prospect Kevin Maitan, all without spending a ton of money.

There's still time, but some of the best opportunities have already been missed.

The Angels also traded for Kinsler, who's 1 year removed from back to back 6 war seasons. He'll be 36 next June, so there's quesitons, but he could be a solid addition too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 pm 
NYFS Staff

Quote:
For perhaps $3-5m per year, they could have had Cain.
For $20 million less over 3 years, they could have likely had Cargo.

For Likely the same price over three years, they could probably have had Frazier AND Reed.

And now Nimmo becomes marginal again.

Reed 2 for 17. I'll bet Frazier signs for 2 years $18-20, which was my point.

This relegates Conforto to a position that takes a toll on the body. Add Adrian Gonzalez to the mix, and Smith/Nimmo are likely farmed out.

If Cain gets a three year deal at $52m or so, SandyCo/Wilpons again look stupid and plan-less.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:43 am 
Legend of NYFS

The world watches with bated breath...

Will it be Montero, Reynolds, Cecchini or a dark-horse 40 man cut!?

I'm going with a longshot candidate, and I got great odds in Vegas: TJ Rivera, pushing 30 and recovering from TJS - they try to sneak him through. And then continue to use Montero as the least enticing trade bait ever in their 2B trade negotiations with no one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 am 
NYFS Staff

They sell Montero to the Orioles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am 
NYFS Staff

I’ll say McGowan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am 
General Manager

They trade Nimmo and Cecchini for Harrison and the Ralph Kiner hands statue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am 
MVP

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
The world watches with bated breath...

Will it be Montero, Reynolds, Cecchini or a dark-horse 40 man cut!?

I'm going with a longshot candidate, and I got great odds in Vegas: TJ Rivera, pushing 30 and recovering from TJS - they try to sneak him through. And then continue to use Montero as the least enticing trade bait ever in their 2B trade negotiations with no one.

Lol. They will watch some other team claim him and then he becomes the next Turner/Murphy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next