Total votes : 15
 Post subject: #41 Runoff-Matt Pobereyko vs. Wuilmer Becerra vs. Jannis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:04 pm 
Legend of NYFS

?

Post subject: Re: #41 Runoff-Matt Pobereyko vs. Wuilmer Becerra vs. Jannis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:04 pm 
Rookie

I kinda went back and forth here. Pob and Jannis are both cool stories. I went Jannis because he's probably a better bet to make some kind of major league impact at some point but I'm not counting out Pob either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
I kinda went back and forth here. Pob and Jannis are both cool stories. I went Jannis because he's probably a better bet to make some kind of major league impact at some point but I'm not counting out Pob either.

My feeling as well. I like Poby a little more but Jannis has the starter advantage. Basically flipped a coin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 pm 
NYFS Staff

Mickey Jannis is 30 years old and just repeated Double-A. I know he is a different case, but I cannot comfortably rank him in the top 50.

Becerra is very close to a non-prospect at this point.

Despite being 26, Poberyko is the choice among these three after a great season.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 pm 
MVP

sluger11787 wrote:
Mickey Jannis is 30 years old and just repeated Double-A. I know he is a different case, but I cannot comfortably rank him in the top 50.

Despite being 26, Poberyko is the choice among these three after a great season.

I went with Jannis but in all honesty Poberyko does look interesting. Unlike most guys that rely on deception, he does have some pop on his fastball to add to the deception. Most of the deception guys throw 88-92 and Poberyko sits 92-95.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 am 
Manager

Pobereyko is inteesting mainly for his AFL performance, though it was only 12 innimgs. He was signed out of independent ball by Arizona, then released after one season in 2016. Then signed again by the Mets. Mets used him in low A.

His minor league line in 2016 for Arizona: 4.67 RA9, 1.15 WHIP, 7.0 H9, 3.3 BB9, 12.0 SO9
His minor league line in 2017 for the Mets: 4.19 RA9, 1.17 WHIP, 6.8 H9, 3.7 BB9, 13.9 SO9

So it's not obvious there that anything has really changed. Until he went to the AFL and had one of the best bullpen performances in the league, for 12 innnings. But Tim Peterson and Kyle Regault also had strong AFL performances, without leaping into consideration here. And I don't think they should be.

But I'm not really liking the other options on this poll, either. Jannis seemed to be unexceptional in AA this year until he had a strong last 5 starts. Has he really turned a corner, or is a small stretch of strong performace for a knuckleballer just a statistical fluke? It's more likely to be the latter, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 am 
Legend of NYFS

Pober looks like he has interesting stuff. I wouldn't focus much on his numbers bc he was facing players 3 and 4 yrs his junior in the Saly and in the DBs org in '16. His test will come next season when he faces more mature bats in the FSL and EL. But it does look like he's got some velo and throws a pretty sharp slider. Looks like the kind of repertoire that can translate up the ladder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 am 
Rookie

sluger11787 wrote:

You can make the same age/competition arguments against Pob.

Jannis had success at a higher level whereas Pob has better stuff. Jannis is a starter, though, and hard-throwing pen arms kinda grow on trees, so he's a better bet to reach the majors.

As much as I'm rooting for Pob I think we've been overvaluing relievers. Who's more likely to be an impact pen arm, for instance, Matt Blackham or Chris Viall? I'm betting a bunch of failed starters turn into better relief prospects than most of the other pure relief prospects still on the board.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 am 
MVP

Just returned home from lung surgery...I cast my vote for Jannis. My vote is supported by absolutely nothing except hope....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Joefrompgh wrote:
Just returned home from lung surgery...I cast my vote for Jannis. My vote is supported by absolutely nothing except hope....

Wish you a quick recovery, bro!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:42 pm 
MVP

Hot Takes wrote:
sluger11787 wrote:

You can make the same age/competition arguments against Pob.

Jannis had success at a higher level whereas Pob has better stuff. Jannis is a starter, though, and hard-throwing pen arms kinda grow on trees, so he's a better bet to reach the majors.

As much as I'm rooting for Pob I think we've been overvaluing relievers. Who's more likely to be an impact pen arm, for instance, Matt Blackham or Chris Viall? I'm betting a bunch of failed starters turn into better relief prospects than most of the other pure relief prospects still on the board.

What's funny is that you are essentially right. Hard throwing relievers grow on trees .....except for the Mets. We really have had no luck developing relievers compared to other teams. And this has been a pattern for a very long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 pm 
Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
Pober looks like he has interesting stuff. I wouldn't focus much on his numbers bc he was facing players 3 and 4 yrs his junior in the Saly and in the DBs org in '16. His test will come next season when he faces more mature bats in the FSL and EL. But it does look like he's got some velo and throws a pretty sharp slider. Looks like the kind of repertoire that can translate up the ladder.

Yes, one of the benefits of his being in the AFL is that there is some good video out there.

Command looks still a little irratic, but you can see there's some potential there. I actually started writing my last comment a little more negative on Poberyko, but found this video when looking for reports from his AFL performance, and decided he's really not a bad choice here, given the other options.