MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets sign Adrian Gonzalez
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Hilltop wrote:

Wait until Dom takes his job and see if his tune changes. What happened in LA last year carries more weight than a statement, IMO.

Are you suggesting that he shouldn't be competitive? He's a professional athlete. If he weren't trying hard to beat out DS, it would be ridiculous. That's what he's here for.

Eh, we heard a lot about how much Cabrera could help a young Amed Rosario, only to have him turn into a total sourpuss about switching positions to accommodate said young Amed Rosario. I'll believe that Gonzalez is going to be supportive when I see it.

Different situation. No way the Mets are going to keep AGone around if he isn't the regular 1Bman. So it's not like the Mets are going to see much of AGone moping. He'll be gone pretty quickly if he loses the job.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Different situation. No way the Mets are going to keep AGone around if he isn't the regular 1Bman. So it's not like the Mets are going to see much of AGone moping. He'll be gone pretty quickly if he loses the job.

That's what we said for the 4 months Reyes was under the Mendoza Line.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

That's what we said for the 4 months Reyes was under the Mendoza Line.

8)

I don't really remember anybody saying that. Did the Mets have another 3B option to turn to (not named Flores)?

And for a guy with virtually no financial commitment to (AGone), there is no way they will keep him around if things go south... not with Dom waiting in the wings.

edit: there was certainly the talk about bringing Rosario up and sliding ACab over to 3B. Yes, but they were pretty stubborn about when to break Rosario in. Wouldn't seem to be that issue with Dom already having been up here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 pm 
Blue Chipper

"I am open and willing to do anything obviously, key points going into spring training, work with Dominic on defense, the mindset and tell him of my experience," Gonzalez said. "I am looking forward to that, helping Dominic as well so he can be the best major leaguer he can be in the future."

Gonzalez worked with L.A.'s rookie first baseman Cody Bellinger last season and said he agreed to go on the disabled list last year because he felt that the younger player was a better option for the team at the time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.3764400

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm 
NYFS Staff

Never in my wildest dreams was a team silly enough to offer Gonzalez a major league deal that would require a roster removal. Oh wait...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yeaaaa... We just got older...and not better...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

HeyNowHK wrote:
northway wrote:
Eh, we heard a lot about how much Cabrera could help a young Amed Rosario, only to have him turn into a total sourpuss about switching positions to accommodate said young Amed Rosario. I'll believe that Gonzalez is going to be supportive when I see it.

Northway said it pretty well. The issue isn't being competitive. If he under performs while Dom is slaying it, ultimately taking his job, he could become a clubhouse cancer ala LA. No matter how it is sliced, his actions last season with the Dodgers were awful and cannot be chalked up to him being "competitive."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hilltop wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
northway wrote:

Northway said it pretty well. The issue isn't being competitive. If he under performs while Dom is slaying it, ultimately taking his job, he could become a clubhouse cancer ala LA. No matter how it is sliced, his actions last season with the Dodgers were awful and cannot be chalked up to him being "competitive."

You're not following. If he loses the starting 1B job, there would be no purpose in keeping him at all. There is no room on the roster for a 1B only player on an already short bench. If he isn't the starting 1Bman, he'll get cut.

Making the 'what if he becomes a cancer' into an issue is pointless. The team signed him for what they think he can do and it's based on the sort of batted ball profile they like, and obviously that they feel he's going to be healthy. To them, it's worth the minimal financial investment/risk. The real risk is that they could have signed someone else, namely Duda, who may outplay AGone.

I think if AGone is healthy, there prob is a good chance he'll match or even outhit Duda. If 2017 was just about injury issues, there's prob little reason to think he cannot go back and do what he did in 2016 - 285/349/435 with 18 HRs and 111 RC+. And he prob outhits that if he faces mostly just RHers (with Flo facing the lefties). He was 303/372/488 vs RHers in 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am 
NYFS Staff

Just an overall silly move if you are trying to create a sustainable winning environment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
Just an overall silly move if you are trying to create a sustainable winning environment.

I'm against it as seen in this thread, but I wouldn't go that far. Was really hoping for Duda. I just hope they're not slow to cut him if he's not performing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:47 pm 
Franchise Player

thebull wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

I'm against it as seen in this thread, but I wouldn't go that far. Was really hoping for Duda. I just hope they're not slow to cut him if he's not performing.

That is one thing. Gonzo will be easier to cut than someone like Duda or Morrison if they weren't performing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:58 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I don't think we got worse, so I'm not wholly concerned about this.

I just think this was a spot where it was going to be easy and cheap to get better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next