Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: Mets sign Adrian Gonzalez

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:21 pm

I think he is going to hit well enough to block Dom...and that it will not be a good line.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:06 pm

I don't think there's such a thing as a bad rookie salary deal. If he gives the team anything at all, then he's worth what he's making. I'd rather have a big bopper like Lind or the Dude, but Gonzalez could be a nice value. Now the question is, who else will they sign, cause this doesn't count as spending. This is a save money and spend somewhere else move.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:I don't think there's such a thing as a bad rookie salary deal. If he gives the team anything at all, then he's worth what he's making. I'd rather have a big bopper like Lind or the Dude, but Gonzalez could be a nice value. Now the question is, who else will they sign, cause this doesn't count as spending. This is a save money and spend somewhere else move.

Looks like Nunez, Reyes, Walker, Frazier.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 pm

thebull wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:I don't think there's such a thing as a bad rookie salary deal. If he gives the team anything at all, then he's worth what he's making. I'd rather have a big bopper like Lind or the Dude, but Gonzalez could be a nice value. Now the question is, who else will they sign, cause this doesn't count as spending. This is a save money and spend somewhere else move.

Looks like Nunez, Reyes, Walker, Frazier.

None of those guys are exciting (though I think Frazier would be fun and Walker does make us better). But I'd rather have any one of those guys than not. (not sure who gets cut, but I'd still take one of those 4 happily).

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 am

HeyNowHK wrote:You're not following. If he loses the starting 1B job, there would be no purpose in keeping him at all. There is no room on the roster for a 1B only player on an already short bench. If he isn't the starting 1Bman, he'll get cut.

Making the 'what if he becomes a cancer' into an issue is pointless. The team signed him for what they think he can do and it's based on the sort of batted ball profile they like, and obviously that they feel he's going to be healthy. To them, it's worth the minimal financial investment/risk. The real risk is that they could have signed someone else, namely Duda, who may outplay AGone.

I think if AGone is healthy, there prob is a good chance he'll match or even outhit Duda. If 2017 was just about injury issues, there's prob little reason to think he cannot go back and do what he did in 2016 - 285/349/435 with 18 HRs and 111 RC+. And he prob outhits that if he faces mostly just RHers (with Flo facing the lefties). He was 303/372/488 vs RHers in 2016.

All this assumes the Mets would cut him instead of giving him an infinitely long leash through August. Their history shows otherwise, making the cancer issue very real.
Post a reply