MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marc Carig leaving the mets beat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 pm 
Draft Pick

Joe and Evan on WFAN are definitely critical of the Mets/Wilpons and they apparently can't get any one associated with the organization to come on their show. They had Bruce on after the season and joked that if he re-signed they wouldn't be allowed to talk to him again. So, I could see there being something to the writers not wanting to really criticize ownership.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
MetGirl5 wrote:
I don't think the reporters are "afraid" of the Wilpons. Especially the ones that write for real publications.

I have to disagree with you on that. The Mets are essentially the only NY franchise in the 4 major sports that penny pinches. In my opinion the media was tougher on them before the Adam Rubin/Omar incident. Since then they have really failed to go after them. Sure theres an article here and there but let's be honest SNY hires Daily News, WFAN and NY Post (among others) for their some of their shows. It just feels to me that there's a if you wash my back I will wash yours thing going on.

Meh. There's far less shillery on Met broadcasts then anything in Yankee world. And plenty of the commentary on the SNY shows is pretty openly critical of the team and how it's run if not taking direct hits at the Wilpons. I think general decorum and respect is all that keeps that from happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 pm 
General Manager

luciferase wrote:
Joe and Evan on WFAN are definitely critical of the Mets/Wilpons and they apparently can't get any one associated with the organization to come on their show. They had Bruce on after the season and joked that if he re-signed they wouldn't be allowed to talk to him again. So, I could see there being something to the writers not wanting to really criticize ownership.

To be fair that has nothing to do with the hosts, and everything to do with the Mets' own acrimonious departure from WFAN radio (and the Yankees' arrival there). I don't believe any WFAN show is allowed to have Mets on it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.2610771

But re: Carig and other beat writers I do think there's something to the whole taking a free shot out the door without any consequences which is a bit cowardly on his part. Cause the Mets can make life directly miserable for any beat guy if they wanted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:46 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
piazzafan wrote:
MetGirl5 wrote:
I don't think the reporters are "afraid" of the Wilpons. Especially the ones that write for real publications.

I have to disagree with you on that. The Mets are essentially the only NY franchise in the 4 major sports that penny pinches. In my opinion the media was tougher on them before the Adam Rubin/Omar incident. Since then they have really failed to go after them. Sure theres an article here and there but let's be honest SNY hires Daily News, WFAN and NY Post (among others) for their some of their shows. It just feels to me that there's a if you wash my back I will wash yours thing going on.

I don’t think that is the case. And I don’t think the Mets have been immune from
criticism from the media. If anything it seemed like before this offseason fans were constantly getting on the beat writers for being too critical and mocking of the Mets on twitter (a sentiment I also disagreed with). And it’s not like there were any repercussions against Rubin for that incident. Sure he was probably a little embarrassed/surprised but he didn’t lose his job or access and stlll kept his great sources. There is the “Daily News” show on SNY but it’s never been a pro Mets propaganda type show.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:09 pm 
General Manager

The writers making constant snips on Twitter isn't the same as a well thought out published column calling out the ownership and management. Not even in the year 2018.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:49 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
dragonfly wrote:
The writers making constant snips on Twitter isn't the same as a well thought out published column calling out the ownership and management. Not even in the year 2018.

I’m not saying tweets and articles are equivalent but if reporters were oh so scared about getting in “trouble” somehow for saying something negative they wouldn’t do either.

And it’s not like there are no negative articles written either.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

It's now official per Carig.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 pm 
General Manager

Think we need to take Carig off the Twitter scroll and add a couple of the newer Met beat writers, more than half the stuff there now is Yankees between his stuff and what he retweets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:22 pm 
Franchise Player

Who are the new Met beat writers?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 am 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Tim Healey- Newsday (took over for Carig)
Mike Puma- Post
Kristie Ackert- Daily News

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ehalt and Wagner

and also Britton from the Athletic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 am 
General Manager

Yes please remove Carig. I didn't want to read him when he covered the Mets and I certainly don't want to read his Yankees coverage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next