MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prospect 1500 top 50 Mets prospects
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:39 pm 
MVP

http://prospects1500.com/top-50-lists/n ... prospects/

Prospects 1500 released their list of the 2018 top 50 Mets prospects today. The only thing that really jumps out is that they have Cecchini ranked 26th which is low compared to everyone else. I do like the fact that they have write ups on all 50 prospects which is something not all sites do.

Post subject: Re: Prospect 1500 top 50 Mets prospects
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Solid effort but PJ Conlon as a #3 starter seems a bit wild to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:47 pm 
MVP

Metro2007 wrote:

Yeah I wasn't in agreement on that either. He's basically a physically developed soft tosser. At this point if he cant add MPH on his fastball he's at most a #4 or #5 starter.

One thing I did notice is that we have way to many prospects that if they can hit are really bad defensively and if they are good defensively can't hit their way out of a paper bag.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
http://prospects1500.com/top-50-lists/new-york-mets-2018-top-50-prospects/

Prospects 1500 released their list of the 2018 top 50 Mets prospects today. The only thing that really jumps out is that they have Cecchini ranked 26th which is low compared to everyone else. I do like the fact that they have write ups on all 50 prospects which is something not all sites do.

Amazin Ave had Cecchini outside the top 25 too, but they listed him as honorable mention after 25.

They give a fairly lengthy list of honorable mentions here (might be thread-worthy but it fits here too). Several players I'd not considered and a handful I'd not heard of.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1/22/ ... -note-2018

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Campos is 5'9 172 , that alone makes it extremely unlikely he's ever an MLB SP, kind of silly to write him up and not mention that.

-Fermin posted a .439 BABIP with zero power or speed so again to mention his line without that is also very silly. .439!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

No Becerra, fwiw.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:

Didn't the RP's convert him to the bullpen at the end of last season in preparation for a role change moving forward (e.g., wasn't up against innings limits)?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 pm 
NYFS Staff

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

Didn't the RP's convert him to the bullpen at the end of last season in preparation for a role change moving forward (e.g., wasn't up against innings limits)?

It definitely wasnt an innings ceiling issue. He came in 6 IP lower than 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Campos is 5'9 172 , that alone makes it extremely unlikely he's ever an MLB SP, kind of silly to write him up and not mention that.

-Fermin posted a .439 BABIP with zero power or speed so again to mention his line without that is also very silly. .439!!

In defense of their Fermin writeup, they don't mention his kingsport numbers (.352 average) or Brooklyn numbers (.219 average), they combined them and show his overall line (.285 .360 .375 .735). They say "loud contact" but mostly praise his glove. Over the season he had a .374 babip.

Quote:
Signed out of Venezuela during the 2014-2015 international free agent signing period, Edgardo Fermin made his stateside debut this past season and looked like he belonged, hitting .285/.360/.375 in 40 games split between the Kingsport Mets and the Brooklyn Cyclones. His advanced eye at the plate and barrel control give Fermin a lot of contact ability, but Fermin is currently only a gap hitter, as he lacks the strength in his 6’0”, 170 pound frame to do more damage. Defensively, Fermin profiles well at shortstop, though he has played his fair share of second base as well. He has excellent lateral movement, and an above-average arm, giving him the range and arm strength to make plays from deep in the hole.

I think the writeup sounds fair, though I've never seen him, so I have to trust them on certain things like good eye and strong arm.

- -

On Campos. I'm with you there. They should have said something about him being 5'9, but if he touches 95 and has solid control, might still be worthy for a top 50 consideration.

I'm never sure how much faith to put into rapid promotions. Montero got them. So did Crismatt and (remember Mike Gibbons), who's since fallen off the map. Part of that could simply be openings and Campos first outing was in Brooklyn for one game, then GCL, then bounced around a little to St. Lucie to finish the year, and I suppose, GCL and St. Lucie are basically the same location so there's no moving involved.