MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

?
Poll ended at Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 am
Wuilmer Becerra (OF) 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Ali Sanchez (C) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jayce Boyd (1B) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Matt Winaker (1b) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Gregory Guerrero (SS) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Ryder Ryan (RHP) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Luis Carpio (SS) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Eric Hanhold (RHP) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Tim Tebow (OF) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Ian Strom (OF) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Re: Who is #47?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 am 
Manager

Would anyone considered Dale Burdick a possibility?

He's a year younger than Paez, and made it to AAA this year. Looks like another guy with a utility profile, fits best at 2B, they use him all around the infield. A .679 OPS this year, his problem offensively seems to be a chronically low batting average, but with enough plate discipline there to keep getting him opportunities. This is one maybe for the discussion about, what does it mean really, when they promote a guy aggressively?

I'm looking to see if there's anyone we missed who should be on the poll. Still like Anthony Dimino, because he's an on base machine, career OBP over .400 at this point. And think Viall might have as much upside as any of the arms left, if he can get more consistancy in his mechanics and cut down the walks. And I suppose Corey Taylor is worth a mention as a guy who just got an invite to big league camp.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 am 
Rookie

I'd nominate Chris Viall and probably vote for him right away on this list. He's at least got a huge fastball to dream on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:29 am 
Rookie

Emphatic no on Burdick. Hitting .220 at every level and striking out at a 30% clip is kind of a turnoff.

At least Paez had that one good stretch in Columbia (and I think Paez is pretty much a non-prospect too). Burdick has been pretty consistent. I'd go with Tiberi and dream he'll hit like pre-draft reports first tbh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:46 am 
Legend of NYFS

What's the next level above esoteric? I think that's where this is now. We're on #47 (out of 50) and there are ten nominees up for consideration,so I'm not sure why it's even necessary to haggle over addition nominees. Is there something to be gained from being a nominee after the 50th player gets decided?

This ranking seems to be getting more interest now as the list is finishing up than it got in the teens and 20s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 am 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
Ali Sanchez, by the way, had an .800 OPS in the DSL as a 17-year old, after getting a $690k bonus. And he hasn't really done anything interesting since.

Just making a point about the futility of getting your hopes up too much on a good year from these DSL guys, though I guess when the alternative is voting for Ali Sanchez again, it remains an attractive option.

You're right. An argument could be made that nobody (cept Vientos) should make the top 50 from the GCL squad and DSL is even thinner (exceptions for the top signings like Mauricio). But in general, it's too early with too many unknowns.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:27 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
What's the next level above esoteric? I think that's where this is now. We're on #47 (out of 50) and there are ten nominees up for consideration,so I'm not sure why it's even necessary to haggle over addition nominees. Is there something to be gained from being a nominee after the 50th player gets decided?

This ranking seems to be getting more interest now as the list is finishing up than it got in the teens and 20s.

It's not haggling. If there's an open spot, you name a nominee.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:05 am 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
Would anyone considered Dale Burdick a possibility?

He's a year younger than Paez, and made it to AAA this year. Looks like another guy with a utility profile, fits best at 2B, they use him all around the infield. A .679 OPS this year, his problem offensively seems to be a chronically low batting average, but with enough plate discipline there to keep getting him opportunities. This is one maybe for the discussion about, what does it mean really, when they promote a guy aggressively?

I'm looking to see if there's anyone we missed who should be on the poll. Still like Anthony Dimino, because he's an on base machine, career OBP over .400 at this point. And think Viall might have as much upside as any of the arms left, if he can get more consistancy in his mechanics and cut down the walks. And I suppose Corey Taylor is worth a mention as a guy who just got an invite to big league camp.

Burdick is a bold pick. It's tough to like guys who hit .220 and who strike out 30% of the time, but Burdick has some pop, he plays a few spots and the mets probably like him somewhat or he wouldn't have been promoted as much as he has. I applaud the creativity.

Viall is more traditional and he's made a couple top 50s already. Taylor's worth consideration too. I think he's a good pick.

I'm OK with deferring Peroza for those 2 guys, Taylor & Viall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

Tiberi is the guy I think we are clearly "missing" to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 am 
Manager

Well I'd be OK with bumping Strom, since I'll actually be voting for Moreno, and will probably vote for Viall as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:

And Blake Taylor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

And Blake Taylor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

It's not haggling. If there's an open spot, you name a nominee.

That makes no sense. You already have Ali Sanchez up there (who you nominated about 30 spots back) plus Winaker and Ryan. There are only 3 spots to go. Why are you nominating more players?? :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next