MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

?
Poll ended at Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 am
Wuilmer Becerra (OF) 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Ali Sanchez (C) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jayce Boyd (1B) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Matt Winaker (1b) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Gregory Guerrero (SS) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Ryder Ryan (RHP) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Luis Carpio (SS) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Eric Hanhold (RHP) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Tim Tebow (OF) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Ian Strom (OF) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Re: Who is #47?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I still think there's some solid talent considering we're in the 40s. What do people expect from the 47th prospect.

I like Winaker & Ryan the best. Haven't given up on Sanchez (like Sanchez better than Becerra)

and there's a half dozen or more guys I like who haven't been voted in yet.

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I'd like to nominate Jose Peroza

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:

Why? Don't you already have a few on the list that you nominated who you apparently like more? I mean it's obvious that some aren't going to get in the 50 as it is. I don't even know what the point of more nominations is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 pm 
Manager

LTKfRGM wrote:
I still think there's some solid talent considering we're in the 40s. What do people expect from the 47th prospect.

I like Winaker & Ryan the best. Haven't given up on Sanchez (like Sanchez better than Becerra)

and there's a half dozen or more guys I like who haven't been voted in yet.

My comment was referencing the entire list of positional players.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:26 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Why? Don't you already have a few on the list that you nominated who you apparently like more? I mean it's obvious that some aren't going to get in the 50 as it is. I don't even know what the point of more nominations is.

I have a dozen players I like enough to nominate, but that shouldn't be surprising. If any 2 fans make separate top 50 rankings, there'd probably be about a dozen or more names in one than the other. I nominated him because I like him, and cause I wanted to get one more nomination in. (There's one nomination spot left if you want to nominate someone)

Peroza's numbers in GCL obviously don't stand out. .176 .222 .176 .399 but it was just 19 plate appearances. I like him cause he's young. Really young and the mets brought him stateside.

The 2016 international signing period for the mets was a sleepy one. Sandwiched between Guerrero/Gimenez in 2015 and Mauricio/Hernandez in 2017, the mets didn't spend more than $300K on anyone in 2016, cept maybe for some unannounced Venezuelan bonuses.

Two of their larger bonuses in 2016 were Sebastian Espino ($300 K) and Jose Peroza ($280 K). Both Espino and Peroza were brought stateside to GCL after the DSL season was finished. Espino is more of a glove first. Peroza is a strong kid, 6'1, 200 lbs at 16 who might end up at 3rd base, might end up in the OF, but there's some power potential there and Amazin Ave praised his tools (plural), not just power tool (singular). Given that he's 6 months younger than Vientos, I thought I'd give him a nomination as a sleeper

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:

My comment was referencing the entire list of positional players.

Fair enough. It's a weak system overall. (I like it more than others it seems, I tend to be a team-homer though, but yes, it's weak, one dimensional, uninteresting, no upside - you name it).

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

I have a dozen players I like enough to nominate, but that shouldn't be surprising. If any 2 fans make separate top 50 rankings, there'd probably be about a dozen or more names in one than the other. I nominated him because I like him, and cause I wanted to get one more nomination in. (There's one nomination spot left if you want to nominate someone)

I guess you missed my point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Bryce Hutchinson got voted in right after he was nominated.
Wagner Lagrange got voted in either right after or shortly after too.

A guy gets nominated, people might not have heard of him, they look him up, and maybe vote for him. I don't think Jose Peroza is likely to get voted in, but if nothing else, if he's a stud next year - I get bragging rights, and he might be a stud next year. He's at least got a shot. Plus it's fun nominating a sleeper.

When the 50 list is finished, I'll write an honorable mention list (don't worry, I probably won't include Blake Taylor, but no promises).

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Bryce Hutchinson got voted in right after he was nominated.
Wagner Lagrange got voted in either right after or shortly after too.

A guy gets nominated, people might not have heard of him, they look him up, and maybe vote for him. I don't think Jose Peroza is likely to get voted in, but if nothing else, if he's a stud next year - I get bragging rights, and he might be a stud next year. He's at least got a shot. Plus it's fun nominating a sleeper.

When the 50 list is finished, I'll write an honorable mention list (don't worry, I probably won't include Blake Taylor, but no promises).

Yeah, this is my point..... it's kinda pointless, no? or just so that you can say so and so was nominated I guess... you should get out more. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:06 pm 
Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Well, we are down to the last nomination. And I just got Strom on, and Moreno up next, so I don't need to nominate any more myself.

But we could use some discussion maybe of who's left that's deserving. Daison Acosta, Matt Cleveland, and Chris Viall are three guys who have been mentioned who sounded intriguing to me. Jose Peroza, Sebastian Espino, and Luis Santana sounded the most interesting of the DSL guys, and I saw one of the other lists posted recently also included Shervyen Newton surprisingly high. Some signing bonuses and Ben Badler scouting reports for those international guys (when signed):

Espino $300k
Code:
He’s a defensive minded player as a true shortstop who has good hands and actions, with the potential to develop into a plus fielder. He’s a righthanded hitter with a contact-oriented, line-drive approach and uses the opposite field with occasional doubles power.

Peroza $280k
Code:
He has strong hands and two above-average tools in his raw power and arm strength, with a power-over-hit profile.

Santana $200K
Code:
He doesn’t project to be a power hitter, but he puts a loud charge into the ball for his size, with a compact swing that results in a lot of contact.

Newton $50k

I just find it hard to judge these guys who haven't played stateside yet, and weren't top signings. Of course we could vote on Guerrero, who was a big bonus guy ($1.5M) and has played in the GCL, but he hasn't put up impressive numbers. Acosta ($70k) had a solid year in the GCL this year, but even that was only 22 innings. On the other hand, Cleveland (12th rd. 2016, $400k) wasn't any better, threw only 24.7 innings himself, and was 5 months older.

It gets to where you can make a case for any of these guys, but I guess that could be an argument for none of them, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Yeah, this is my point..... it's kinda pointless, no? or just so that you can say so and so was nominated I guess... you should get out more. :P

If there's an opening, I'm going to nominate. I wanted to get Peroza in before 2 other nominees were made and it closed. I don't think that's pointless at all. I mean, unless you consider the entire prospect ranking exercise pointless. which, I suppose I can see that argument.

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:33 pm 
Manager

Ali Sanchez, by the way, had an .800 OPS in the DSL as a 17-year old, after getting a $690k bonus. And he hasn't really done anything interesting since.

Just making a point about the futility of getting your hopes up too much on a good year from these DSL guys, though I guess when the alternative is voting for Ali Sanchez again, it remains an attractive option.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next