MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 am 
Veteran Presence

I think the Wilson’s lack the intelligence to see the bigger picture. I really do believe they want to win and focus on the micro day to day managerial decisions but when it comes to the macro they only see the spend and can’t understand why the good enough approach doesn’t work. It’s why you say we don’t need piazza we have hundley, we will take Bay over Holiday, who needs Olerud we can get Zeile, payton McRae Hamilton agabayani are fine in the OF, Wright will come back

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:49 pm 
Manager

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
At the risk of being labeled an apologist...

I HATE the way the Mets handle public releases of info from a fan/entertainment perspective.

But how does Jeff Wilpon sticking his nose in the media relations part of injury disclosures affect the fact that the product on field continues to suck? That’s what I’m far more concerned about.

Yes, I was actually encouraged by the implication that it's Fred, not Jeff, who is meddling in on field moves. Because there's at least some possibility that Fred's role might be reduced sometime over the next decade.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
At the risk of being labeled an apologist...

I HATE the way the Mets handle public releases of info from a fan/entertainment perspective.

But how does Jeff Wilpon sticking his nose in the media relations part of injury disclosures affect the fact that the product on field continues to suck? That’s what I’m far more concerned about.

Not to mention that it's really kinda baffling how intense pressure to win the daily media coverage yields basically just the opposite result. Something doesn't really add up there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 am 
Fan Favorite

Gotta write something in the inter - even when nothing is happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 am 
Manager

I do find this line from the story regarding injuries quite humorous:

Quote:
In these instances, multiple sources said, the Mets prioritized the sprint over the marathon.

Because it's the exact opposite of what they're always preaching about roster building and management. Maybe they'll take that same approach and apply it to injuries.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

ndfordarling wrote:
who needs Olerud we can get Zeile

Na, that one doesn't belong with your other examples.

Johnny O wanted to go home. Period.

He had a life threatening health scare early in his career (which was why he wore a helmet while playing 1B) and had a strong desire to be close to his parents and his wife and kids.

Steve Phillips a few years back stated that when he first learned John was leaning towards Seattle he panicked and made a call to overwhelm him.

But his agent, according to Phillips, said that money wasn't the issue and that John had loved NY but felt some things where just much more important than money or baseball.

They signed Zeile after Piazza made a call asking his buddy if he'd be willing to play 1B. Zeile was better than any 1B options on the market.

Not going to kill them for any of that.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 pm 
Manager

I loved Johnny O as a player but I'm sad he debunked the Rickey not knowing his name meme story (apparently it originated with a clubhouse guy in Seattle lol).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 pm 

AllWrightNow wrote:
I loved Johnny O as a player but I'm sad he debunked the Rickey not knowing his name meme story (apparently it originated with a clubhouse guy in Seattle lol).

:lol:

IIRC, it was the Mets (maybe Franco, Ventura, Piazza + others) that started the rumor when they where watching the Mariners play while in the clubhouse.

Then the rumor hit the papers and was all over the league with Rickey not even knowing about it LOL.

Then yeah, I guess John heard the rumor and said it wasn't true at all.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 pm 

Rickey: You play the field wearing your batting helmet?

John: Yeah, I have all my career.

Rickey: I played with somebody in NY that did the same thing.

John: That was me!!!

Great story. Wish it was true.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 pm 

Or was it:

Rickey: I played with someone in Toronto and then someone in NY that did the same thing.

John: That was me!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 pm 
Manager

Daaaarryyl wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

IIRC, it was the Mets (maybe Franco, Ventura, Piazza + others) that started the rumor when they where watching the Mariners play while in the clubhouse.

Then the rumor hit the papers and was all over the league with Rickey not even knowing about it LOL.

Nah he was speaking the other day, it was posted on the Mets' Facebook in fact and he said it originated when he got to Seattle.

https://www.mlb.com/video/olerud-on-fun ... 1873631783

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 am 

AllWrightNow wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

Nah he was speaking the other day, it was posted on the Mets' Facebook in fact and he said it originated when he got to Seattle.

https://www.mlb.com/video/olerud-on-fun ... 1873631783

Awesome, great stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: