MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline
Veteran Presence

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:31 pm
Posts: 4473
I think the Wilson’s lack the intelligence to see the bigger picture. I really do believe they want to win and focus on the micro day to day managerial decisions but when it comes to the macro they only see the spend and can’t understand why the good enough approach doesn’t work. It’s why you say we don’t need piazza we have hundley, we will take Bay over Holiday, who needs Olerud we can get Zeile, payton McRae Hamilton agabayani are fine in the OF, Wright will come back

_________________
"It's not a daily regiment, it's not a twice daily regiment, who has time for that nonsense" - Giuseppe Franco Beverly Hills Salon Owner

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:54 pm
Posts: 6633
Location: Vero Beach, FL
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
At the risk of being labeled an apologist...

I HATE the way the Mets handle public releases of info from a fan/entertainment perspective.

But how does Jeff Wilpon sticking his nose in the media relations part of injury disclosures affect the fact that the product on field continues to suck? That’s what I’m far more concerned about.


Yes, I was actually encouraged by the implication that it's Fred, not Jeff, who is meddling in on field moves. Because there's at least some possibility that Fred's role might be reduced sometime over the next decade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 23643
Location: NYC
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
At the risk of being labeled an apologist...

I HATE the way the Mets handle public releases of info from a fan/entertainment perspective.

But how does Jeff Wilpon sticking his nose in the media relations part of injury disclosures affect the fact that the product on field continues to suck? That’s what I’m far more concerned about.


Not to mention that it's really kinda baffling how intense pressure to win the daily media coverage yields basically just the opposite result. Something doesn't really add up there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 am 
User avatar
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 1866
Gotta write something in the inter - even when nothing is happening.

_________________
“Why... must I always explain” Van Morrison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 am 
Online
Manager

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 6408
I do find this line from the story regarding injuries quite humorous:

Quote:
In these instances, multiple sources said, the Mets prioritized the sprint over the marathon.


Because it's the exact opposite of what they're always preaching about roster building and management. Maybe they'll take that same approach and apply it to injuries.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8376
ndfordarling wrote:
who needs Olerud we can get Zeile



Na, that one doesn't belong with your other examples.


Johnny O wanted to go home. Period.


He had a life threatening health scare early in his career (which was why he wore a helmet while playing 1B) and had a strong desire to be close to his parents and his wife and kids.


Steve Phillips a few years back stated that when he first learned John was leaning towards Seattle he panicked and made a call to overwhelm him.

But his agent, according to Phillips, said that money wasn't the issue and that John had loved NY but felt some things where just much more important than money or baseball.

They signed Zeile after Piazza made a call asking his buddy if he'd be willing to play 1B. Zeile was better than any 1B options on the market.

Not going to kill them for any of that.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 6827
I loved Johnny O as a player but I'm sad he debunked the Rickey not knowing his name meme story (apparently it originated with a clubhouse guy in Seattle lol).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8376
AllWrightNow wrote:
I loved Johnny O as a player but I'm sad he debunked the Rickey not knowing his name meme story (apparently it originated with a clubhouse guy in Seattle lol).



:lol:

IIRC, it was the Mets (maybe Franco, Ventura, Piazza + others) that started the rumor when they where watching the Mariners play while in the clubhouse.

Then the rumor hit the papers and was all over the league with Rickey not even knowing about it LOL.

Then yeah, I guess John heard the rumor and said it wasn't true at all.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8376
Rickey: You play the field wearing your batting helmet?

John: Yeah, I have all my career.

Rickey: I played with somebody in NY that did the same thing.

John: That was me!!!


Great story. Wish it was true.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8376
Or was it:

Rickey: I played with someone in Toronto and then someone in NY that did the same thing.

John: That was me!!!

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 6827
Daaaarryyl wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
I loved Johnny O as a player but I'm sad he debunked the Rickey not knowing his name meme story (apparently it originated with a clubhouse guy in Seattle lol).



:lol:

IIRC, it was the Mets (maybe Franco, Ventura, Piazza + others) that started the rumor when they where watching the Mariners play while in the clubhouse.

Then the rumor hit the papers and was all over the league with Rickey not even knowing about it LOL.

Then yeah, I guess John heard the rumor and said it wasn't true at all.


Nah he was speaking the other day, it was posted on the Mets' Facebook in fact and he said it originated when he got to Seattle.

https://www.mlb.com/video/olerud-on-fun ... 1873631783


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another Wilpon meddling article
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8376
AllWrightNow wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
I loved Johnny O as a player but I'm sad he debunked the Rickey not knowing his name meme story (apparently it originated with a clubhouse guy in Seattle lol).



:lol:

IIRC, it was the Mets (maybe Franco, Ventura, Piazza + others) that started the rumor when they where watching the Mariners play while in the clubhouse.

Then the rumor hit the papers and was all over the league with Rickey not even knowing about it LOL.

Then yeah, I guess John heard the rumor and said it wasn't true at all.


Nah he was speaking the other day, it was posted on the Mets' Facebook in fact and he said it originated when he got to Seattle.

https://www.mlb.com/video/olerud-on-fun ... 1873631783


Awesome, great stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chin Music, Ciarán, Disco Ball, Dog, dragonfly, Google [Bot], Hilltop, johnnymets176, luciferase, Majestic-12 [Bot], northway, piazzafan, SergioTheLittleMan and 118 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media