Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

2018 Mets farm system ranking by BA...

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

@BaseballAmerica ranks @Mets farm system 27/30 in baseball. YUCK #Mets

Re: 2018 Mets farm system ranking by BA...

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Braves #1 in baseball (1 in 2017)
Phillies #6 (6th in 2017)
Nationals #15 (19th in 2017)
Marlins #19 (29th in 2017)
Mets #27 (15th in 2017)

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Terrible. Bottom of the barrel. It's been quite a while since it's been this bad.

If they are struggling in July they're really going to have to consider a complete fire sale. Meaning deGrom and Syndergaard.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 pm

dragonfly wrote:
If they are struggling in July they're really going to have to consider a complete fire sale. Meaning deGrom and Syndergaard.

So we can get more "relief prospects"?

We had a fire sale last year. We traded 5 guys in July and August. The returns from that, I would hope, gets people out of "Tanking is such a great idea" mode.

Same problems with tanking and firesales as we see when we're "going for it" - talent recognition just isn't a strong suit. Showing the restraint and patience of a Buddhist monk, and offering "funny" quips/one-liners are where we excel.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:18 pm

I think this is where most people here would rank them. (perhaps a few would say 24-26). I don't think many people here (other than maybe me), agree with the K'Law 21 ranking. It's a bad system and some of our key guys didn't help their stock (Szapucki - Tommy John, Lindsay - awful start and injury issues, Peterson - didn't pitch) . . . but, it's a bad system and the system had a bad year.

I still think they're poised for a recovery next year and I still see a lot of depth. But 27-30, not far off.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 pm

That's what happens you don't draft well, ignore international markets, graduate top prospects, and make trades during a pennant run.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Metsfan980 wrote:That's what happens you don't draft well, ignore international markets, graduate top prospects, and make trades during a pennant run.

They have traded almost 0 "top" prospects. Fulmer and a bunch of nobodies. Fulmer is great but the "pennant race trades" are a fan construct.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Metsfan980 wrote:That's what happens you don't draft well, ignore international markets, graduate top prospects, and make trades during a pennant run.

How about, have a fire sale on major league talent and get little in return?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:22 pm

TomInNC wrote:

That's not Sandy's fault though. The market dried up. It's not like other teams did much better last trade deadline.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:
TomInNC wrote:

That's not Sandy's fault though. The market dried up. It's not like other teams did much better last trade deadline.

OK, how about consistently misjudging the market?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Or not kicking in money to get a better prospect in a trade?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:23 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:
TomInNC wrote:

It still astounds me that the market shifted at just the wrong time for us this summer, and then has seemingly shifted again given that we haven't been able to parlay some low level relievers into a corner OFer, starting 2B, etc. this winter.

If I were Sandy, I'd look into the possibility of the other 29 GMs colluding against me.
Post a reply