MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Law's Mets top 10
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hilltop wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Alonso will have to absolutely DESTROY the ball this year to be a top tier prospect. RH 1b coming off a horrendous defensive season + at least a portion of his season will be in LV.

I know it's not your point, but if he comes up here at some point and just hits, who cares where he was ranked on a top 100 list? Unless those defensive issues are truly as bad as advertised.

It doesn't matter even 1%. I'm talking strictly about "elite level prospect" in terms of a label. Outside of maybe trade value it means nada. Law himself (and this is an extreme case) admitted he totally whiffed on Goldschmidt. That Arizona thought he was a stud from day one and he didn't buy it.

If he's 2017 bad in the field he won't be playable even if he's mashing so lets hope not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:41 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

I don’t understand how Dunn is 3. He’s shown nothing since being drafted.

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:31 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:

He's behind the guy who pitched 3 innings.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:

Almost everyone has Gimenez/Peterson at 1/2. 3 is more subjective.

Alonso - nice bat, average bat speed, ugly glove - work in progress.
Vientos - big kid, power upside but huge unknown.
Kay - hasn't pitched yet.
Szapucki - Tommy John
Lindsay - Injury issues and even if you look at his hot June/July, he still had 29Ks in 94 PAs (ouch). .434 babip.
Ronny Mauricio - hasn't played at all yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 am 
Veteran Presence

Just a question as life has pulled me away from what I would consider closely following the Mets (others may say obsessive but here it is just normal). Why no mention of David Thompson? What is the knock on him?

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Metro2007 wrote:
Hilltop wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Alonso will have to absolutely DESTROY the ball this year to be a top tier prospect. RH 1b coming off a horrendous defensive season + at least a portion of his season will be in LV.

I know it's not your point, but if he comes up here at some point and just hits, who cares where he was ranked on a top 100 list? Unless those defensive issues are truly as bad as advertised.

It doesn't matter even 1%. I'm talking strictly about "elite level prospect" in terms of a label. Outside of maybe trade value it means nada. Law himself (and this is an extreme case) admitted he totally whiffed on Goldschmidt. That Arizona thought he was a stud from day one and he didn't buy it.

If he's 2017 bad in the field he won't be playable even if he's mashing so lets hope not.

I hear ya. And I was basically stating it rhetorically. I think we all get the Mets do not have many "elite" level guys. But they do have a few who have a few guys with a single solid tool and who could be regulars at the MLB level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

ndfordarling wrote:
Just a question as life has pulled me away from what I would consider closely following the Mets (others may say obsessive but here it is just normal). Why no mention of David Thompson? What is the knock on him?

He'll make the top 15 here and there, but the bottom line is he doesn't stand out.

Ignoring his draft-year numbers in Brooklyn, which I think is OK to ignore, his numbers have been good but not great.

Columbia was his best showing: .294 .344 .474 .81
St. Lucie the 2nd half of 2016, not as good: .265 .321 .412 .733
and last year at Binghamton: .263 .325 .429 .754

A 23 year old with .754 OPS in AA won't get a prospect a top ranking unless he's a stud defender at SS, C or CF. Gavin Cecchini, in 2015 had an .819 OPS in Binghamton as a 21 year old for example.

So, the bat shows power potential and he doesn't strike out a ton (17.3% last year, not exactly good, but not a warning sign either - add 5% to the K rate for most players going minors to majors), and his glove might pass as OK though he's a big guy with limited range and thoracic outlet surgery in his past. He used to be a QB so I suspect his arm went from plus to maybe average, but there was a time after the surgery where it was ranked as well below average.

There's not that much there. It'd be different if he hit .310 with 16 homers but he hit .260. His power potential is legit so is his physical strength, but the contact rate/hit tool is perhaps average at best, his glove, also average though he moves well for a big guy. A righty Kirk Niewenheis type of bat, but with a better contact and batting average would be my guess, but if he hits .240 to Kirk's .220, is that an MLB starter?

One guy who saw him in the AFL, who posts on another message board and does some prospect writing, did give him some praise as a possible top 10 mets prospect, but later dropped him to the 15 range as well.

The potential is there and I think he's got a shot, but he still, perhaps unfairly, usually ends up below guys like Nido & Guillorme in most rankings, though he's comfortably above the fringy Evans/McNeil types.

I like him a little more than most because he's shown steady progress. I think there's a chance, maybe 1 in 3, that he's our starting 3rd baseman in 2019, unless the mets sign Todd Frazier to 2 years, in which case, probably not. I think he's a close to a lock for the 40 man roster next year though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:04 am 
Veteran Presence

LTKfRGM wrote:
ndfordarling wrote:

He'll make the top 15 here and there, but the bottom line is he doesn't stand out.

Ignoring his draft-year numbers in Brooklyn, which I think is OK to ignore, his numbers have been good but not great.

Columbia was his best showing: .294 .344 .474 .81
St. Lucie the 2nd half of 2016, not as good: .265 .321 .412 .733
and last year at Binghamton: .263 .325 .429 .754

A 23 year old with .754 OPS won't get a prospect a top ranking unless he's a stud defender at SS, C or CF. Gavin Cecchini, in 2015 had an .819 OPS in Binghamton as a 21 year old for example.

So, the bat shows power potential and he doesn't strike out a ton (17.3% last year, not exactly good, but not a warning sign either - add 5% to the K rate for most players going minors to majors), and his glove might pass as OK though he's a big guy with limited range and thoracic outlet surgery in his past. He used to be a QB so I suspect his arm went from plus to maybe average, but there was a time after the surgery where it was ranked as well below average.

There's not that much there. It'd be different if he hit .310 with 16 homers but he hit .260. His power potential is legit so is his physical strength, but the contact rate/hit tool is perhaps average at best, his glove, also average though he moves well for a big guy. A righty Kirk Niewenheis type of bat, but with a better contact and batting average would be my guess, but if he hits .240 to Kirk's .220, is that an MLB starter?

One guy who saw him in the AFL, who posts on another message board and does some prospect writing, did give him some praise as a possible top 10 mets prospect, but later dropped him to the 15 range as well.

The potential is there and I think he's got a shot, but he still, perhaps unfairly, usually ends up below guys like Nido & Guillorme in most rankings, though he's comfortably above the fringy Evans/McNeil types.

I like him a little more than most because he's shown steady progress. I think there's a chance, maybe 1 in 3, that he's our starting 3rd baseman in 2019, unless the mets sign Todd Frazier to 2 years, in which case, probably not. I think he's a close to a lock for the 40 man roster next year though.

Thank you!

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!