MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: We have a trade!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
Am I the only one who remembers how bad Cabrera was at ss last year? I never said Matt Reynolds was a great fielder. He's more like a bag of 5S. His fielding at SS is OK, his power tool is OK (maybe a 35 but that's above average for a backup SS).

Also, MJ come on. Matt Reynolds has 4 homers in 226 plate appearances. Tejada had 2 homers over his first 4 seasons, over 1300 plate appearances. I don't understand why people can see upside in a pitcher but not a position player. Yes, Reynolds' numbers have been bad so far, but if he starts hitting a little better he becomes a nice player. There's some nice bench player upside there. The mets aren't dumb. They're not protecting him out of stupidity. They like what they see, at least enough to move Smoker before him.

You're letting a few fluky HRs in his first few major league ABs back in 2016 cloud the sample, because its still small enough that those matter.

He has 0 power tool. He had 4 XBH in 130 PA's last year (.070 iso). He has never shown power anywhere but Las Vegas and even that has been mehhhhhh (a .130 iso in the PCL is certainly not anything to brag on).

Keep in mind he was a college pick so has never been "young" for his level:

A ball: .108 iso
A+ ball: .111 iso
AA ball: .067 iso

Come on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
Am I the only one who remembers how bad Cabrera was at ss last year? I never said Matt Reynolds was a great fielder. He's more like a bag of 5S. His fielding at SS is OK, his power tool is OK (maybe a 35 but that's above average for a backup SS).

Also, MJ come on. Matt Reynolds has 4 homers in 226 plate appearances. Tejada had 2 homers over his first 4 seasons, over 1300 plate appearances. I don't understand why people can see upside in a pitcher but not a position player. Yes, Reynolds' numbers have been bad so far, but if he starts hitting a little better he becomes a nice player. There's some nice bench player upside there. The mets aren't dumb. They're not protecting him out of stupidity. They like what they see, at least enough to move Smoker before him.

You're letting a few fluky HRs in his first few major league ABs back in 2016 cloud the sample, because its still small enough that those matter.

He has 0 power tool. He had 4 XBH in 130 PA's last year (.070 iso). He has never shown power anywhere but Las Vegas and even that has been mehhhhhh (a .130 iso in the PCL is certainly not anything to brag on).

Come on.

I consider LTKfRGM one of the best posters on here (really puts effort into some of his posts) but his undying loyalty to certain players (Reynolds, Blake Taylor, Tyler Moore, Ali Sanchez etc) is what makes him a legend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
Am I the only one who remembers how bad Cabrera was at ss last year?

What's the point? Rosario is going to be the starting SS. We are talking about a reason to keep a guy (Reynolds) on the roster. If he was the only guy on the roster who could cover SS in the event of an injury to Rosario, that would be one valid reason to keep him. But there are several players who could take SS in a pinch. Moving on, what other value does he possess? Something that Reyes, Flores or TJ Rivera or even Guillorme can't do?

Suggesting he's going to get better is based on what?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Come on.

I consider LTKfRGM one of the best posters on here (really puts effort into some of his posts) but his undying loyalty to certain players (Reynolds, Blake Taylor, Tyler Moore, Ali Sanchez etc) is what makes him a legend.

Thanks for the kind words Metro, but let me be clear.

Ali Sanchez - yeah, I like him. Plus defensive catcher is huge. OK, he's got to learn to hit but he's got the low K rate working for him. There's still long-shot's chance that he becomes interesting.

Tyler Moore - That was more of a joke than believing he's a prospect. How many players start out their 2nd season going 8 for 80 with a .100 batting average (.138 babip though), but I was never really saying he was a prospect, he was just fun to watch.

Blake Taylor - There were times when people had given up / not tought much of Matz and Fulmer, due to injuries and poor showings. The upside was still there, but in both cases there was a "wait and see if he gets healthy".

Blake is a big lefty with a plus curveball and a bit of velocity, who's also a bit wild and has issues with repeating his delivery and he's got some work to do, but he's got a potential out pitch, which should count for something. He's one of those, if he figures it out, he'll be a nice guy to have types. There's still some legit ceiling there.

and Reynolds, for the record, I don't really believe in Reynolds. I think he'll have a Nick Evansish career - which is something I wouldn't wish on anyone, but if I was to guess, I think that's his most likely outcome. But the tools better than the numbers, so there's still a chance. I also tend to believe the Mets more than I believe the fans. Fans think he should have been the first cut. Mets don't feel that way - I'm going to trust the mets on that one. There's also the eyeball test. I wanted to like Eric Campbell but when I saw him swing the bat, I didn't think he had a future. He wasn't athletic enough of fast twitch enough. He worked the count well, but once pitchers figured out how to work him, he was done. Reynolds passes the eye test when I see him play. Yes, he's not put it together yet and maybe he never will, but he looks like a baseball player. And maybe I sound like one of those older scouts that Brad Pitt made fun of in moneyball, but I think Reynolds has a chance. Maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4, I'm not saying it's likely, but he's got a shot at having a real career.

So, Reynolds, it's more I see where the Mets are coming from. There's more upside than people give him credit for, even though I think the fans may end up being right and the Mets wrong, I get why the Mets protect him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Come on.

There is definitely something to be said for going down with the ship :D :lol: :oops:

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.