MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets sign the Toddfather
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
Mets apparently gonna milk thumbs down (up?) guy to death now.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

Legend of NYFS

MetGirl5 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Mets once again cloak their 40 man moves in secrecy, not wanting to give anyone an edge by prematurely announcing the Matt Reynolds DFA ahead of the absolute last minute allowable to do so.

Though I also wonder why people care to know about that kind of stuff so quickly.

Meh, just more of a "no real reason why they do this" kind of thing.

Last to announce 40 man protections, wait til the last moment on roster moves, etc.

Sure, its an instant gratification thing, but as far as fan and media friendliness is concerned - why not?

Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
MetGirl5 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Mets once again cloak their 40 man moves in secrecy, not wanting to give anyone an edge by prematurely announcing the Matt Reynolds DFA ahead of the absolute last minute allowable to do so.

Though I also wonder why people care to know about that kind of stuff so quickly.

To be honest, there are probably like 20 people in the entire world that do - its just that a couple of them post here and let you know they care every single time a 40 man roster move is in question.

Solid sub-post, brah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
MetGirl5 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

To be honest, there are probably like 20 people in the entire world that do - its just that a couple of them post here and let you know they care every single time a 40 man roster move is in question.

The entire platform here is designed for enthusiasts of the team to dissect and obsess over minutiae. Everything discussed in here is meaningless minutiae to the vast majority of the planet, so there is no revelation in what you're saying.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
The entire platform here is designed for enthusiasts of the team to dissect and obsess over minutiae. Everything discussed in here is meaningless minutiae to the vast majority of the planet, so there is no revelation in what you're saying.

To a similar point, there's no real need to announce any moves during Nov - Feb. It might even create buzz if they just did all these things behind closed doors and then had some sort of reveal at the open of ST of who all the comings-and-goings were.

Much the same as the 40 man roster moves, doesn't effect the product on field in the offseason to delay timing of anything.

Just less entertaining, and less chance for debate/discussion, is all.

Reminds me of when people complain about discussing potential moves or "unconfirmed" reports. I mean, everyone should be free to have their prerogative, but if "more discussion" and "more debate" isn't your thing, I question the reason why you'd participate in some sort of forum - discussing results and reporting facts retroactively ONLY doesn't seem all that engaging to me, personally, but whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm 
NYFS Staff

And a lot of what makes NYFS what Ed wanted it be is that we follow the guys throughout the minors...so we're enthusiasts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Looks like Jeffy put a fresh coat of paint on the top.

Was looking a little grey at the Bruce presser.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

I wonder if there is an actual strategic reason they do this, or if they legitimatley don't make up their minds until the last second. Or it could be that since most of the guys are fringe major league ball players that they would rather the player find out from the Mets front office rather than the media (sort of like the cops not releasing a murder victims name until they notify the family).

Why wouldn't there be? If they announce him today - a team might take him. If they announce him in 6 days that same team might have signed a free agent.

Seems to me that's a reason to wait, unless I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

I wonder if there is an actual strategic reason they do this, or if they legitimatley don't make up their minds until the last second. Or it could be that since most of the guys are fringe major league ball players that they would rather the player find out from the Mets front office rather than the media (sort of like the cops not releasing a murder victims name until they notify the family).

Why wouldn't there be? If they announce him today - a team might take him. If they announce him in 6 days that same team might have signed a free agent.

Yeah, that isn't allowed. You can't try to waive someone in secret.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

LTKfRGM wrote:

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

OK, help me out here. What were you talking about with "cloak moves in secrecy"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

LTKfRGM wrote:

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

OK, help me out here. What were you talking about with "cloak moves in secrecy".

Sarcasm. Mostly just about the timing of the public announcement. If Frazier has been added to their 40 man officially, they have to remove someone. They can't wait out the market until the timing is right, carrying 41 guys, and then voila, slip someone through.

Its likely the guy has already been DFA'ed or put on waivers or sold, they just haven't announced it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm 
General Manager

LTKfRGM wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Why would the player (or his agent) cooperate in that scenario? Reynolds more or less told everyone he was DFA'ed on Twitter anyway, it doesn't serve him to do the team's bidding after they DFA him and help them get him through waivers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next