MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets sign the Toddfather
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 am 
Fan Favorite

Good or bad - its the Correct Signing

Next move I'd like to see is AzCab to the Yankees. They are looking for a one year fit at 2B/3B at a good price.

Use that saved $$ to sign Cobb. Trade Wheeler/Gsellman/Lugo and prospect for Harrison :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:11 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
In response to complaints about this being predictable, I'd like to know what the exciting and unpredictable move was at third. Moustakas may not have been predictable but the output would have been equally boring.

Cozart, Machado... like this hasn't been beaten like a drum all winter. And yes for me, Moustakos. Merrifield.

And to the people touting Frazier's on base numbers from this year, don't forget that his career obp going into 2017 was 317. ACab is an ob machine compared to Frazier.

It's not a bad deal. It's just another complimentary piece in a lineup of complimentary pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:38 am 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
richiel1 wrote:
Great value sign at a clear need position. .344 OBP last year so he’s not a bad on base guy. Plus he adds a lot to the clubhouse which we were going to miss w/Grandy gone.

Moustakas is gong to be paid a lot more for a worse OBP, worse speed, worse power, and worse defense.

I don’t see where the complaints are coming from. I don’t want to hear that he’s just like every other signing either, especially considering this FO’s biggest FA deal (Cespedes) doesn’t fit the narrative.

An upgrade is an upgrade no matter if he’s good at hitting HR, hitting singles, or stealing bases.

He had a .302 OBP in 2016 and a .309 in 2015. .321 for his career. Only a slightly above average hitter.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am 
Manager

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:
Mark Simon
@MarkASimonSays
Todd Frazier's 10.8 bWAR over the last 3 seasons ranks 9th among those whose primary position was 3B

Admittedly trending down, but he's been a 3.4 WAR player each of the last 2 seasons

Remember when naysayers were thinking Reyes would be starting....yeah about that...

He will—as soon as they realize A Gone and A wful and Frazier shifts to 1st.

Usually they do this around mid May IIRC.

Or maybe Nimmo will play well enough in Conforto's absence that they'll move Bruce to 1B and keep Nimmo in the lineup?

Or maybe Smith will go to Vegas and not eat himself alive by May.

And regardless, if Reyes is hitting like he did in the second half last year (.288/.356/.472), what's wrong with that in the lineup more often than not?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49 am 
Manager

Why are people dwelling on the OBA so much? He's a 2.0-3.0 WAR player (and isn't a win worth $4 million?) with a 113 OPS+ the last 4 years.

Meanwhile I see Cozart's name - the same guy that had a career OBA of .289 and 82 OPS+ before last season and is the same age as Frazier?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
northway wrote:
In response to complaints about this being predictable, I'd like to know what the exciting and unpredictable move was at third. Moustakas may not have been predictable but the output would have been equally boring.

I was much more intrigued by some of the trade talk earlier in the offseason.

I’ve just grown sick of hearing about Frazier over the years. I’m not saying he’s awful but another low OBP not great hitter doesn’t get me excited for the season. Especially since I know it will all come with a nauseating amount of love from some folks just because he’s from NJ. It may not be rational but it’s how I feel. And I say it’s predicable because I literally did predict the Frazier signing (along with bringing back Reyes and picking up Cabrera’s option) last summer.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
Why are people dwelling on the OBA so much? He's a 2.0-3.0 WAR player (and isn't a win worth $4 million?) with a 113 OPS+ the last 4 years.

Meanwhile I see Cozart's name - the same guy that had a career OBA of .289 and 82 OPS+ before last season and is the same age as Frazier?

You don't dwell on it when he's hitting 40 homers. You do when he might not break 20.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:
Mark Simon
@MarkASimonSays
Todd Frazier's 10.8 bWAR over the last 3 seasons ranks 9th among those whose primary position was 3B

Admittedly trending down, but he's been a 3.4 WAR player each of the last 2 seasons

Remember when naysayers were thinking Reyes would be starting....yeah about that...

He will—as soon as they realize A Gone and A wful and Frazier shifts to 1st.

Usually they do this around mid May IIRC.

Or maybe Nimmo will play well enough in Conforto's absence that they'll move Bruce to 1B and keep Nimmo in the lineup?

Or maybe Smith will go to Vegas and not eat himself alive by May.

And regardless, if Reyes is hitting like he did in the second half last year (.288/.356/.472), what's wrong with that in the lineup more often than not?

Hey I’m on record saying I think Reyes is a better bet than Ascab this year. I’m just saying let’s not conclude anything on roles yet when guys like Ascab and AGone are being penciled into starting jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 am 
Manager

R Nitelight wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

You don't dwell on it when he's hitting 40 homers. You do when he might not break 20.

8)

Well he's averaged 34 per season over the last 3 years so what is the panic again?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:

Well he's averaged 34 per season over the last 3 years so what is the panic again?

Where's he played?

Not in an honest stadium.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 am 
Manager

dragonfly wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

8)

He’s always played in band boxes...BUT his career splits at home and on the road are remarkably similar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 am 
Fan Favorite

R Nitelight wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

Where's he played?

Not in an honest stadium.

8)

same knock on Bruce and he had no problems last year

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next