MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets sign the Toddfather
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:33 pm 
General Manager

R Nitelight wrote:
Signing Cozart as a hitter is like signing Kevin Elster off his 30 home run season.

8)

I don't think Cozart was roiding up though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
Good or bad - its the Correct Signing

Next move I'd like to see is AzCab to the Yankees. They are looking for a one year fit at 2B/3B at a good price.

Use that saved $$ to sign Cobb. Trade Wheeler/Gsellman/Lugo and prospect for Harrison :)

With all due respect the Mets aren't trading Ascab now. Their whole approach is to have good depth (if somewhat unexciting starters), with Reyes and Wilmer off the bench, Wilmer plays some first. If you trade Ascab you have Wilmer/Reyes at 2nd, presumably Reyes is the starter. - that' dumb unless they trade Ascab and add someone better. I don't see that happening.

For 1 year 6.5 I think they made the right call on Ascab.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Hey I’m on record saying I think Reyes is a better bet than Ascab this year. I’m just saying let’s not conclude anything on roles yet when guys like Ascab and AGone are being penciled into starting jobs.

Steamer:
Asdrubal: 262/326/430 101 RC+
Reyes: 250/310/388 87 RC+

MJ and I often disagree, but props to him for making the bold prediction. I think that's the whole point. It's not a prediction that anyone will go on record on if you think Bruce will hit more homers than Nimmo. The predictions worth making are the ones that most people don't agree with.

I'll make one. Kevin Plawecki will (almost) look like a legit major league player this year, sub-par starter but plus bench catcher.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Hey I’m on record saying I think Reyes is a better bet than Ascab this year. I’m just saying let’s not conclude anything on roles yet when guys like Ascab and AGone are being penciled into starting jobs.

Steamer:
Asdrubal: 262/326/430 101 RC+
Reyes: 250/310/388 87 RC+

MJ and I often disagree, but props to him for making the bold prediction. I think that's the whole point. It's not a prediction that anyone will go on record on if you think Bruce will hit more homers than Nimmo. The predictions worth making are the ones that most people don't agree with.

I'll make one. Kevin Plawecki will (almost) look like a legit major league player this year, sub-par starter but plus bench catcher.

Its realllllly not that bold. Reyes actually was the overall more valuable player last year though its really dependent on what you believe from which defensive metrics on who was less awful.

But just offensively, Reyes had the ATROCIOUS start, AsCab was scalding the first few weeks, and after that, they were the same.

Over their last 500 PA each its pretty much a toss up. So, yeah. Each guy is past their prime a bit and a little slower than they used to be, but AsCab looks downright gimpy at times. Reyes still has a little motor left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

FWIW:

Quote:
@DSzymborski
2h2 hours ago
More
I haven't talked about it today, but the Frazier deal is full of awesomesauce for the Mets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
So basically, those who said that my assertion that they could get Reed and Frazier for less than Bruce alone...?

Good value deal. They were not going to invest big with Wright's contract on the books.

Neil Walker's going to regret not taking the extension.

The Mets may regret not pursuing Neil Walker this winter...

A lot of teams might. Walker's a good player when healthy. Him missing 100 games over the last 2 seasons is a concern though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Whenever I think Neil Walker, I think Anne "Egg" Veal from Arrested Development.

Very happy we moved on from that awfully tempting reunion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Its realllllly not that bold. Reyes actually was the overall more valuable player last year though its really dependent on what you believe from which defensive metrics on who was less awful.

But just offensively, Reyes had the ATROCIOUS start, AsCab was scalding the first few weeks, and after that, they were the same.

Over their last 500 PA each its pretty much a toss up. So, yeah. Each guy is past their prime a bit and a little slower than they used to be, but AsCab looks downright gimpy at times. Reyes still has a little motor left.

That's true too.

Reyes is better than he gets credit for with the mets, 2016/17 and I don't believe the -2.1 dwar that bref gave him for 2017. I don't trust dwar numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:51 pm 
NYFS Staff

The thing about Frazier is he is virtually free.

Wrights dead money had to be spent anyhow. For the return on the insurance you plug a player in who will likely be more productive than Wright even if healthy.

Then the dead money decreases by $5m again.

Yes, they could have pocketed the insurance return to reduce payroll, but just a different way of thinking about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:59 pm 
NYFS Staff

Flawed lineup, sure. Whatever. It'll play. Now go get an arm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:45 pm 
NYFS Staff

Gonzalez is the weak link...and the square peg.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 pm 
MVP

jdawginsc wrote:
Gonzalez is the weak link...and the square peg.

Agreed. But it's worth a shot to see if he can rebound. If he doesn't you have Wilmer and Dominic waiting to step right in. You also have the option of putting Bruce at first and giving Nimmo some starts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next