MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 60672
dragonfly wrote:
Yeah, regardless of the injuries, his normal regression might have been pushing him to a more limited role anyway - and the injuries/surgeries on top of that? Finished.

Don't forget, he hit just 8 homers in his lat 500+ AB season - 4 years ago.


Thats a bit misleading, given he had 15 combined in 2014/2015 (in about 75 games).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm 
Offline
All Star

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 2117
So you would be okay with him dragging this charade of a come back on for another 3 years? At some point he will probably come back as a coach or some kind of instructor so don't worry, I doubt he's going to totally ride off into the sunset.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 6821
piazzafan wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
I assume Wright is getting most of his money via insurance but leaving any piece of it on the table should shame the people judging his character for wanting to come back dismissing it as being solely money driven. But even leaving none of it on the table and informally ending his comeback bid would also prove it wasn’t about the money.


If he retires the insurance will not cover anything and the contract becomes null and void.


Well I’m thinking of a Prince Fielder type retirement where he still got his money for medical reasons, though only a fraction of it was insurance (maybe a third) and both teams he played on had to kick in some.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 25896
Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
piazzafan wrote:
So you would be okay with him dragging this charade of a come back on for another 3 years? At some point he will probably come back as a coach or some kind of instructor so don't worry, I doubt he's going to totally ride off into the sunset.

I’m not thinking about 2019 or 2020 yet. If he can’t play this year it will come to that but I’d rather hold out some hope he can return this year. I have zero interest in the Cab, Frazier, Reyes combo so. And I doubt he’d get into coaching right away - nor would that be interesting to watch anyway

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
"Wright is greedy" is easily the worst take in the recent history of Mets fandom, and there have been some bad takes in Mets fandom.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life


RIP uapeople


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 81601
Location: New York, NY
Always found it weird the interest in "ex-player coaching". Did people really go to Cyclones games to see Fonzie manage? I know I wouldn't.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 pm 
Offline
Manager

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 6368
Metro2007 wrote:
Always found it weird the interest in "ex-player coaching". Did people really go to Cyclones games to see Fonzie manage? I know I wouldn't.


I never understood why guys that lived the Major League lifestyle in their 20s and 30s would want to live the Minor League lifestyle in their 40s. Of course they're not completely living it, but busing from small town to small town all summer long?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1833
piazzafan wrote:
So you would be okay with him dragging this charade of a come back on for another 3 years? At some point he will probably come back as a coach or some kind of instructor so don't worry, I doubt he's going to totally ride off into the sunset.


Sure. Don't rely on him, but I'd be happy to see him go up to bat again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 6821
dragonfly wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Always found it weird the interest in "ex-player coaching". Did people really go to Cyclones games to see Fonzie manage? I know I wouldn't.


I never understood why guys that lived the Major League lifestyle in their 20s and 30s would want to live the Minor League lifestyle in their 40s. Of course they're not completely living it, but busing from small town to small town all summer long?


Well in the 50's and 60's when players didn't make a lot of money that's one thing but you really gotta love it if you made big money as a player then still want to manage/coach after your career's over.

MetGirl5 wrote:
I’m not thinking about 2019 or 2020 yet. If he can’t play this year it will come to that but I’d rather hold out some hope he can return this year. I have zero interest in the Cab, Frazier, Reyes combo so. And I doubt he’d get into coaching right away - nor would that be interesting to watch anyway


Eh I'm just too depressed watching him continue to have something else break down at the slightest bit of physical activity. I like the guy almost as much as anyone else here but this needs to end.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 25896
Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
dragonfly wrote:
Yeah, regardless of the injuries, his normal regression might have been pushing him to a more limited role anyway - and the injuries/surgeries on top of that? Finished.

Don't forget, he hit just 8 homers in his lat 500+ AB season - 4 years ago.

He also put up a 125 wRC+ over the 2015-2016 seasons.

Not that I expect him to do that again 2 years and 3 surgeries later....but he was still a solid hitter when he was able to play albeit not without issues.

But I yeah I wasn't expecting him to come back and play 3b regularly. Would be nice if he could have fit into some kind of bench/1b role though.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
"Wright is greedy" is easily the worst take in the recent history of Mets fandom, and there have been some bad takes in Mets fandom.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life


RIP uapeople


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12557
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
If he's really finished, he should retire. A compromise can be worked out with the 3 parties, the Mets, Wright and the insurance company. Everybody sacrifices something and free up the roster spot.

_________________
"Anyone who can’t hear the difference between wood and concrete must be blind."

- Yogi.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:29 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:53 am
Posts: 818
Nothing good will ever come from David Wright retiring. Just sucks no matter how you slice it. Hopefully, he gets a middle-age miracle like when the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid recovered his fastball.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 24412
Location: Pittsburgh
SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Nothing good will ever come from David Wright retiring. Just sucks no matter how you slice it. Hopefully, he gets a middle-age miracle like when the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid recovered his fastball.


I think it's telling that said pitcher is referenced as the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asbury Mark, Disco Ball, HeyNowHK, Hilltop, Majestic-12 [Bot], MaxV, Metro2007, metsrule0423, nocedog, sluger11787, Steve The Original, The Juice, underdog, zaknim and 128 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media