MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
Yeah, regardless of the injuries, his normal regression might have been pushing him to a more limited role anyway - and the injuries/surgeries on top of that? Finished.

Don't forget, he hit just 8 homers in his lat 500+ AB season - 4 years ago.

Thats a bit misleading, given he had 15 combined in 2014/2015 (in about 75 games).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm 
All Star

So you would be okay with him dragging this charade of a come back on for another 3 years? At some point he will probably come back as a coach or some kind of instructor so don't worry, I doubt he's going to totally ride off into the sunset.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm 
Manager

piazzafan wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
I assume Wright is getting most of his money via insurance but leaving any piece of it on the table should shame the people judging his character for wanting to come back dismissing it as being solely money driven. But even leaving none of it on the table and informally ending his comeback bid would also prove it wasn’t about the money.

If he retires the insurance will not cover anything and the contract becomes null and void.

Well I’m thinking of a Prince Fielder type retirement where he still got his money for medical reasons, though only a fraction of it was insurance (maybe a third) and both teams he played on had to kick in some.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
piazzafan wrote:
So you would be okay with him dragging this charade of a come back on for another 3 years? At some point he will probably come back as a coach or some kind of instructor so don't worry, I doubt he's going to totally ride off into the sunset.

I’m not thinking about 2019 or 2020 yet. If he can’t play this year it will come to that but I’d rather hold out some hope he can return this year. I have zero interest in the Cab, Frazier, Reyes combo so. And I doubt he’d get into coaching right away - nor would that be interesting to watch anyway

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Always found it weird the interest in "ex-player coaching". Did people really go to Cyclones games to see Fonzie manage? I know I wouldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 pm 
Manager

Metro2007 wrote:
Always found it weird the interest in "ex-player coaching". Did people really go to Cyclones games to see Fonzie manage? I know I wouldn't.

I never understood why guys that lived the Major League lifestyle in their 20s and 30s would want to live the Minor League lifestyle in their 40s. Of course they're not completely living it, but busing from small town to small town all summer long?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm 
Fan Favorite

piazzafan wrote:

Sure. Don't rely on him, but I'd be happy to see him go up to bat again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm 
Manager

dragonfly wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

I never understood why guys that lived the Major League lifestyle in their 20s and 30s would want to live the Minor League lifestyle in their 40s. Of course they're not completely living it, but busing from small town to small town all summer long?

Well in the 50's and 60's when players didn't make a lot of money that's one thing but you really gotta love it if you made big money as a player then still want to manage/coach after your career's over.

MetGirl5 wrote:
I’m not thinking about 2019 or 2020 yet. If he can’t play this year it will come to that but I’d rather hold out some hope he can return this year. I have zero interest in the Cab, Frazier, Reyes combo so. And I doubt he’d get into coaching right away - nor would that be interesting to watch anyway

Eh I'm just too depressed watching him continue to have something else break down at the slightest bit of physical activity. I like the guy almost as much as anyone else here but this needs to end.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
dragonfly wrote:
Yeah, regardless of the injuries, his normal regression might have been pushing him to a more limited role anyway - and the injuries/surgeries on top of that? Finished.

Don't forget, he hit just 8 homers in his lat 500+ AB season - 4 years ago.

He also put up a 125 wRC+ over the 2015-2016 seasons.

Not that I expect him to do that again 2 years and 3 surgeries later....but he was still a solid hitter when he was able to play albeit not without issues.

But I yeah I wasn't expecting him to come back and play 3b regularly. Would be nice if he could have fit into some kind of bench/1b role though.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

If he's really finished, he should retire. A compromise can be worked out with the 3 parties, the Mets, Wright and the insurance company. Everybody sacrifices something and free up the roster spot.

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:29 pm 
Rookie

Nothing good will ever come from David Wright retiring. Just sucks no matter how you slice it. Hopefully, he gets a middle-age miracle like when the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid recovered his fastball.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Nothing good will ever come from David Wright retiring. Just sucks no matter how you slice it. Hopefully, he gets a middle-age miracle like when the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid recovered his fastball.

I think it's telling that said pitcher is referenced as the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next