MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wright retiring next week?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Nothing good will ever come from David Wright retiring. Just sucks no matter how you slice it. Hopefully, he gets a middle-age miracle like when the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid recovered his fastball.

I think it's telling that said pitcher is referenced as the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid.

Better Dennis than Randy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:19 am 
MVP

At this point we all know David is never going to contribute on the field. However, I feel his #1 motivation right now is to go out on his terms and that is, working back to a point where he can play a couple of games in September and then and only then, calling it a day....

I hope he gets there,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 am 
Franchise Player

Joefrompgh wrote:
At this point we all know David is never going to contribute on the field. However, I feel his #1 motivation right now is to go out on his terms and that is, working back to a point where he can play a couple of games in September and then and only then, calling it a day....

I hope he gets there,

I thought that was going to happen last year. One final weekend homestand,then off into the sunset. I hope he pulls it off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 am 
General Manager

slugox wrote:
Joefrompgh wrote:

I hope he gets there,

I thought that was going to happen last year. One final weekend homestand,then off into the sunset. I hope he pulls it off.

Yeah I figured last season was the last ditch attempt to do that since he obviously wasn’t coming back to play for a contender. But he couldn’t even do that, he was done after 10 AB’s in St. Lucie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
northway wrote:
SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Nothing good will ever come from David Wright retiring. Just sucks no matter how you slice it. Hopefully, he gets a middle-age miracle like when the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid recovered his fastball.

I think it's telling that said pitcher is referenced as the pitcher played by Dennis Quaid.

Better Dennis than Randy.

Randy would make a better Met though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm 
MVP

dragonfly wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Always found it weird the interest in "ex-player coaching". Did people really go to Cyclones games to see Fonzie manage? I know I wouldn't.

I never understood why guys that lived the Major League lifestyle in their 20s and 30s would want to live the Minor League lifestyle in their 40s. Of course they're not completely living it, but busing from small town to small town all summer long?

This is going to sound terrible, but when a lot of these players retire some of them start to realize that staying home with the wife and kids isn't as joyful as they thought it was going to be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 am 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
dragonfly wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Always found it weird the interest in "ex-player coaching". Did people really go to Cyclones games to see Fonzie manage? I know I wouldn't.

I never understood why guys that lived the Major League lifestyle in their 20s and 30s would want to live the Minor League lifestyle in their 40s. Of course they're not completely living it, but busing from small town to small town all summer long?

This is going to sound terrible, but when a lot of these players retire some of them start to realize that staying home with the wife and kids isn't as joyful as they thought it was going to be.

They also have no discernible skills outside of baseball and a lot of them are retiring just around the time that the rest of their age cohort is reaching its professional peak. The wife and the kids might be great, but sitting on your ass for the next forty years is pretty lame for most people.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 am 
Draft Pick

I was really hoping and praying he could have come back last year. I think, the year before, he had homered in a few straight games before going on the DL? Oh, well, soon it may become time to do a Michael Cuddyer. O captain, my captain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 am 
General Manager

@AnthonyDiComo
4m4 minutes ago
The news won't stop this weekend in Port St. Lucie. David Wright is scheduled to meet the media at 10 a.m. today to discuss his future.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 pm 
NYFS Staff

Metro2007 wrote:
100000000000000000% take with a grain of salt but one of the Mets "insiders" on another site is implying as such.

Safely dismiss any thought of this guy as an “insider.”

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 pm 
General Manager

Yeah I think we can put this thread to bed...I honestly did think there was a chance he'd finally retire. Don't really blame him for giving it one more try but if this charade goes on beyond this year then it becomes solely about money. I don't think David will let it get to that point, I think at latest this resolves itself by next Spring in some form or other. You can't not play for 2.5 years with surgery after surgery at 36 and tell me this is a serious comeback attempt in February 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 pm 
General Manager

What’s the difference. They need the attempt to collect insurance. They went out and got Frazier so wright isn’t keeping them from fielding a full team. He’ll go on 60 day to clear a spot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next