MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:19 am 
Legend of NYFS

My pick is Matt Harvey. If he can regain his confidence and Eiland and Callaway really can “fix” his issues and can bounce back from the horrors of the past two seasons, then he to me is a huge key to the Mets success in 2018

Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

Steve The Original wrote:
My pick is Matt Harvey. If he can regain his confidence and Eiland and Callaway really can “fix” his issues and can bounce back from the horrors of the past two seasons, then he to me is a huge key to the Mets success in 2018

If they can somehow get him throwing 96-97 as his average fastball, then he can bounce back. Otherwise I think he's doomed to be mediocre at best (2016) or downright awful (2017).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

I don't know if he's most important but I'm very interested in seeing if the swing doctors have turned Lagares into a plus offensive player. With his defense, that would make him extremely valuable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 am 
Manager

I would say 50-50 Harvey and Matz. They really need at least one of those guys to be reliable. Probably more of a chance you get that from Matz cause it's been longer since Harvey was last good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 am 
Veteran Presence

Harvey needs to get something out of his secondaries. His FB was fine to me but he didn't have control of it. His change up was pretty bad. And his curve was very bad. Hitters literally spat on his secondaries. I'm looking for Eiland and Callaway to work their magic on Matt. I think Matz will rebound well actually.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 am 
NYFS Staff

Michael Conforto.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:54 am 
Manager

I'm thinking first of all, Lagares. I think missing Lagares most of last season was a big part of why the pitching underperformed so badly. Second, I haven't been counting much on Harvey, but it appears the Mets are. That makes him important. Finally, I'm going to say Rosario. He's the one unproven young position player who everyone is counting on to slot into a starting role, right now. Smith is also important, but the Mets have a little more insurance for Smith. Nimmo is the other young player who could really break out this year, and a strong spring might give him opportunities.

With not much talent left on the farm, the Mets really need those young position players to step forward, this year. Those are the guys I'm watching for a read on what this team can do this year, and beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:10 am 
MVP

Mogriffjr wrote:
Harvey needs to get something out of his secondaries. His FB was fine to me but he didn't have control of it. His change up was pretty bad. And his curve was very bad. Hitters literally spat on his secondaries. I'm looking for Eiland and Callaway to work their magic on Matt. I think Matz will rebound well actually.

I find it hard to point to the "most important" player this spring because there is literally nearly a half team's worth of players who could make a difference with a better or healthier 2018.

However, as to Harvey. you PINNED IT...he had poor control of his FB and his secondaries were worse than meh....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 am 
MVP

of .703
acerimusdux wrote:
I'm thinking first of all, Lagares. I think missing Lagares most of last season was a big part of why the pitching underperformed so badly. Second, I haven't been counting much on Harvey, but it appears the Mets are. That makes him important. Finally, I'm going to say Rosario. He's the one unproven young position player who everyone is counting on to slot into a starting role, right now. Smith is also important, but the Mets have a little more insurance for Smith. Nimmo is the other young player who could really break out this year, and a strong spring might give him opportunities.

With not much talent left on the farm, the Mets really need those young position players to step forward, this year. Those are the guys I'm watching for a read on what this team can do this year, and beyond.

I would be very happy with a 2014 Lagares who had an OPS of just over 700. Anything more than that would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 am 
Veteran Presence

David Wright...

His rehab & attempt to come back are distractions at this point that a fragile team does not need. I love DWright as a ball player, but he's done. He should retire gracefully, have a day in his honor and his number stuck on the wall. Then enjoy the fruits of his labor.

The Far Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 am 
Franchise Player

jdawginsc wrote:
Michael Conforto.
Concur. There are five starting pitchers at any one point in time. If one fails, there are different directions you can go. If Conforto cannot get healthy within a month of opening day, this team has a big hole to fill.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Harvey.

We desperately need a reliable #3 bridge to the rest of the rotation.

Noah, Familia and Bruce for Rodgers, Welker, Lambert and Shaw