All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB.com Mets top 30
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=nym

Post subject: Re: MLB.com Mets top 30
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Fangraphs-mets fan: What is Marcos Molina‘s of the Mets floor / ceiling, do you see him making the team in ’18. Scouts were real high on him in ’15 haven’t heard much since.
1:13
Eric A Longenhagen: Don’t think the pitch mix works as a starter (it’s deep but only a few of his pitches are good and they’re all firm) but like him as a kitchen sink reliever

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm 
Legend of NYFS

"Kitchen sink reliever" is a new one. Trying to think of a good comp for that.

I remember Beato had like a million pitches but none were very good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
"Kitchen sink reliever" is a new one. Trying to think of a good comp for that.

I remember Beato had like a million pitches but none were very good.

So much for upside.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Despite the negativish comment, putting Molina at #8 shows some respect. I think the top 7 are the upside guys, and 8 is where the guessing game begins.

I like that they have Cheech in the top 20. I don't see any reason for him to be lower than 15 myself.

17, 19, 20 and 21 seem odd, all based on past rankings.

And Callahan seems to be one of the more loved acquisitions the mets got last year. I hope everyone's right about him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 pm 
General Manager

I normally lose interest as soon as I get to Guillorme.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 am 
Manager

LTKfRGM wrote:
Despite the negativish comment, putting Molina at #8 shows some respect. I think the top 7 are the upside guys, and 8 is where the guessing game begins.

I like that they have Cheech in the top 20. I don't see any reason for him to be lower than 15 myself.

And Callahan seems to be one of the more loved acquisitions the mets got last year. I hope everyone's right about him.

After Oswalt at 16, I think Cecchini, Thompson, and Callahan are the only guys I really like. I'm a bit surprised they didn't find room for Bashlor or Uriarte amongst the rest of those names.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:

Average FB in 2017 for Molina was 91, some starts below that. If the velocity doesn't return he's "done" being even quasi interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am 
Manager

Quote:
Despite average speed, at best, Guillorme is a plus defender at shortstop and might be an 80 defender at second

Not too often you see a potential 80 tool being referenced in one of these reports. A 60 is plus. A 70 tool is very rare. An 80 defender at 2B is pretty much Bill Mazeroski.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 am 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

After Oswalt at 16, I think Cecchini, Thompson, and Callahan are the only guys I really like. I'm a bit surprised they didn't find room for Bashlor or Uriarte amongst the rest of those names.

I think Callahan being ahead of those others is just because of the fact he made the majors. He was generally considered to be the 3rd of the 3 arms they got from Boston, no?

I mean there are literally hundreds of 95 with a slider RHRP around the league at this point throughout organizations. Its really tough to distinguish around them. Callahan has been good not great in pro ball. We'll see. No reason why he can't have a major league career, but can also say that about so many guys.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

Yes. Callahan was seen as the third best "talent" with most seeing Nogosek as the best prospect and Bautista the most upside/lottery ticket. Doesn't mean that perception is right or wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 pm 
Rookie

4 relief prospects and none of them is Tyler Bashlor.

I can't say that I agree.