MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BA if every team was homegrown...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 am 
Prospect

NEW YORK METS
C Kevin Plawecki
1B Lucas Duda
2B Daniel Murphy
3B Wilmer Flores
SS Amed Rosario
OF Michael Conforto
OF Carlos Gomez
OF Nelson Cruz
SP Jacob deGrom
SP Jose Quintana
SP Michael Fulmer
SP Collin McHugh
SP Seth Lugo
RP Jeurys Familia

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/ ... tPjHdqf.99

As someone who avidly follows the farm system I love when Baseball America compiles these homegrown rosters. However this exercise is merely re-assigning everyone to their original team, not assuming that the team, for many years, made roster decisions based on the desire to remain exclusively homegrown, like not signing any free agents which could affect your draft. If that was the case then the Mets would not have Plawecki (a compensation pick for not re-signing Jose Reyes, which in this scenario they do) nor Fulmer (a compensation pick for losing Pedro Feliciano, whom they would never have acquired in the first place), replacing them with, say, Francisco Pena and either Matz or Harvey. But it also means that the Mets would not have signed K-Rod, and in my revisionist history, they draft in 2009 a certain New Jersey outfielder with the pick they don’t forfeit to the Angels...

It would be interesting to see what the roster would be each year back to, say, 2000 (Mets acquire Mike Hampton right before the end of ‘99 and I need the comp pick, Wright, that they receive when he leaves) if the Mets remained solely homegrown, drafting and signing amateurs and re-signing their deserving free agents and nothing else.

Post subject: Re: BA if every team was homegrown...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:52 am 
Legend of NYFS

Nelson Cruz and Jose Quintana? Gotta give them props for going back that far. I don't remember either of those guys being mets.

Cruz - signed by the mets in 1988, traded for George Verlandia in 2000.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ions_other

Jose Quintana is an interesting one. Signed by the Mets and released a year later then signed by the Yankees 9 months later, also released then signed by the Whitesox and he had a nice career. I wonder why he was released by two teams (and 3 times - Yanks signed and released him twice).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ions_other

Turns out the Mets released him over drugs (bummer). He missed a year but it still qualified as service time, so when the Yanks picked him up he'd had 2 minor league seasons (but only 5 innings pitched). 2 years later he wasn't added to the Yankees 40 and the Chi-sox picked him up off waivers. Nice waiver pickup. (some of you may have known that - I'd missed his story).

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2012/9/1 ... st-another

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

So if i'm understanding correctly, Matt Harvey because he was selected out of HS by the Angels in 2007 doesn't count?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:10 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Steve The Original wrote:
So if i'm understanding correctly, Matt Harvey because he was selected out of HS by the Angels in 2007 doesn't count?

No, bc he's not currently good enough to crack that rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:26 pm 
General Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:

Worse than Lugo?! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Honorable Mention: David Wright, Jose Reyes, Scott Kazmir, Matt Harvey, Robert Gsellman, Steven Matz, Joe Smith, Yusmeiro Petit, Mike Pelfrey, Rafael Montero, Brandon Nimmo, Ezequiel Carrera, Juan Lagares, Ruben Tejada, Dominic Smith, T.J. Rivera, Matt Bowman, Dillon Gee, Hansel Robles

Now that I take a 2nd look, it's not a bad team. Plawecki is weak at catcher, Wilmer's not a good 3rd baseman and Duda needs to stay healthy, but it's not a bad team overall. Top 3 pitchers are solid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm 
Prospect

Who is in your bullpen and bench?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:36 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

I'd put him in over Lugo. And I predict that he will be good enough to crack the rotation with ease!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm 
General Manager

LTKfRGM wrote:
Honorable Mention: David Wright, Jose Reyes, Scott Kazmir, Matt Harvey, Robert Gsellman, Steven Matz, Joe Smith, Yusmeiro Petit, Mike Pelfrey, Rafael Montero, Brandon Nimmo, Ezequiel Carrera, Juan Lagares, Ruben Tejada, Dominic Smith, T.J. Rivera, Matt Bowman, Dillon Gee, Hansel Robles

Now that I take a 2nd look, it's not a bad team. Plawecki is weak at catcher, Wilmer's not a good 3rd baseman and Duda needs to stay healthy, but it's not a bad team overall. Top 3 pitchers are solid.

How d we count Wright? Signed with an extra pick from a guy leaving that wasn’t a Met orignally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TomInNC wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

How d we count Wright? Signed with an extra pick from a guy leaving that wasn’t a Met orignally

Then who gets Wright? Do the Yankees get Trout because he was selected with what would have been their draft pick?

Going on who they drafted, not taking away compensation picks is the easiest way to go. Teams like the mets who punted a lot of picks to free agent signings should be at a disadvantage. I don't think the mets did that bad, though 2 of their better players are guys they released.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

I think it requires the ability to actually play.

That's why David Wright and Miguel Pinango aren't listed.

8)

8)