18 Kay
19 Humphreys
20 Dunn

Post subject: Re: Sickels with the oddest Mets top 20 I've seen
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

Bizarre made more bizarre by this:

Quote:
ANALYST NOTE: The top five seem clear to me but after that it gets very mushy: most of the following players have definite positives but all of them have some kind of question-mark that makes them difficult to rank.

Link here: https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/2/14/17015250/new-york-mets-top-20-prospects-for-2018.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

Guillorme to him is a CLEAR top 5 prospect significantly better than the guys who follow... so odd.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:36 am 
Legend of NYFS

Aside from not liking Dunn which is pretty defensible I don't see anything odd about it.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Guillorme to him is a CLEAR top 5 prospect significantly better than the guys who follow... so odd.

He's super bullish about Guillorme's offense, but even the writeup itself is weird:

Quote:
5) Luis Guillorme, SS-2B, Grade B-: Age 23, 10th round pick in 2013 from high school in Coral Springs, Florida; hit .283/.376/.331 with 72 walks, 55 strikeouts in 481 at-bats in Double-A; has no power at all with a career SLG of .328, however he makes contact readily and has a terrific eye for the strike zone; it is possible he may show more pop eventually, but even if he doesn’t his defense will get him to the majors; a very good defensive shortstop but has been truly outstanding when used at second base; ETA late 2018.

How many guys are there in the minors who you could say this about?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
Aside from not liking Dunn which is pretty defensible I don't see anything odd about it.

8)

And this can be attributed to this whole lot mostly being in the B-/C+ bucket. At this point, there isn't that much that separates most of these guys, so his list merely elicits a 'Meh.'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Sickels is a performance over projection guy so makes sense he’s low guy on Dunn and Lindsey and high on Guillorme, Oswalt, Molina etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Sickels is a performance over projection guy so makes sense he’s low guy on Dunn and Lindsey and high on Guillorme, Oswalt, Molina etc.

The problem with performance over projection when it comes to defense-first players is that quantifying minor league defensive performance isn't exactly a science.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 pm 
Manager

Metro2007 wrote:

My only difference is I would have said a clear top 6.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:48 pm 
Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
And this can be attributed to this whole lot mostly being in the B-/C+ bucket. At this point, there isn't that much that separates most of these guys, so his list merely elicits a 'Meh.'

One thing, different types of guys can be C+, from high upside/high uncertainty, to lower upside/ proven performance. When I look at the "other C+" group here, the only guys I see with potentially high upside to me are Uriarte and Hernandez. Otherwise, it looks like future relievers, #5 SP, and bench players.

So if the Mets system, which is really thin now at the top, is going to bounce back next year, I think it's going to take strong performances mostly for the guys he has included on this top 20.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:

8)

Kay TJ or not is not the 18th best prospect in the system. That's absurd even if you go 100% with draft status.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm 
NYFS Staff

My issue would be Szapycki so far ahead of Kay...seems inconsistent.

Dunn is definitely low, but not a horrible list.

And if you a performance over pedigree guy, how is Gimenez number one...?