MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 pm 
User avatar
Online
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 24933
Location: charleston, sc
Trying to figure it out...about $153m before factoring in Wright, I think.

Vargas $8m (2018), $8m (2019)
Frazier $8m (2018), $9m (2019)
Bruce $11m (2018), $14m (2019), $14m (2020)
Swazcak $5.5m (2018), $8.5m (2019)
Jose Reyes $2m (2018) BARGAIN

Overpay for Bruce?
Probably above market for Vargas?
Bargains for Frazier, Reyes and Swarzak?

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 pm 
User avatar
Offline
MVP

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 2708
jdawginsc wrote:
Trying to figure it out...about $153m before factoring in Wright, I think.

Vargas $8m (2018), $8m (2019)
Frazier $8m (2018), $9m (2019)
Bruce $11m (2018), $14m (2019), $14m (2020)
Swazcak $5.5m (2018), $8.5m (2019)
Jose Reyes $2m (2018) BARGAIN

Overpay for Bruce?
Probably above market for Vargas?
Bargains for Frazier, Reyes and Swarzak?


I was pretty stoked by what the Mets did this offseason.....until they signed Vargas. And yes I have to agree that Jose Reyes at 2 million was a bargain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:37 am
Posts: 10647
piazzafan wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
Trying to figure it out...about $153m before factoring in Wright, I think.

Vargas $8m (2018), $8m (2019)
Frazier $8m (2018), $9m (2019)
Bruce $11m (2018), $14m (2019), $14m (2020)
Swazcak $5.5m (2018), $8.5m (2019)
Jose Reyes $2m (2018) BARGAIN

Overpay for Bruce?
Probably above market for Vargas?
Bargains for Frazier, Reyes and Swarzak?


I was pretty stoked by what the Mets did this offseason.....until they signed Vargas. And yes I have to agree that Jose Reyes at 2 million was a bargain.


Yeah, why add a solid starter to the rotation when we can hope and pray on a bunch of pitchers who stunk last season?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 13284
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
i have mixed feelings on Vargas, but there's a chance he works out and even becomes
a plus signing (much to the dismay of whoever ends up our #6 starter). I like Frazier the best, Reyes is fine, I like Swazcak. Bruse feels like the only overpay to me and it's not a huge overpay. It would have been a bargain in the market 2 years ago.

And lets not forget perhaps the best move - buying the AAA team in Syracuse.

_________________
RIP Stan Lee. I'll miss your cameos. Excelsior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
MVP

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 2708
thebull wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
Trying to figure it out...about $153m before factoring in Wright, I think.

Vargas $8m (2018), $8m (2019)
Frazier $8m (2018), $9m (2019)
Bruce $11m (2018), $14m (2019), $14m (2020)
Swazcak $5.5m (2018), $8.5m (2019)
Jose Reyes $2m (2018) BARGAIN

Overpay for Bruce?
Probably above market for Vargas?
Bargains for Frazier, Reyes and Swarzak?


I was pretty stoked by what the Mets did this offseason.....until they signed Vargas. And yes I have to agree that Jose Reyes at 2 million was a bargain.


Yeah, why add a solid starter to the rotation when we can hope and pray on a bunch of pitchers who stunk last season?


Vargas was one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball in the 2nd half last season. Vargas is just another pitcher you have to hope and pray on. And guess what? If he stinks next year, the Ponzi's aren't eating that contract, they are going to throw him into the 2019 rotation and "hope and pray" again. The NL East is licking their chops as they wait for his 88 MPH fastball to reach home plate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:45 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 24794
Location: Pittsburgh
piazzafan wrote:
Vargas was one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball in the 2nd half last season. Vargas is just another pitcher you have to hope and pray on. And guess what? If he stinks next year, the Ponzi's aren't eating that contract, they are going to throw him into the 2019 rotation and "hope and pray" again. The NL East is licking their chops as they wait for his 88 MPH fastball to reach home plate.


His fastball has always been 88 MPH and he's usually been good.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:34 pm 
User avatar
Online
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 24933
Location: charleston, sc
It's not awful to give teams a different type of pitching look to keep them off balance.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:37 am
Posts: 10647
piazzafan wrote:
thebull wrote:

Yeah, why add a solid starter to the rotation when we can hope and pray on a bunch of pitchers who stunk last season?


Vargas was one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball in the 2nd half last season. Vargas is just another pitcher you have to hope and pray on. And guess what? If he stinks next year, the Ponzi's aren't eating that contract, they are going to throw him into the 2019 rotation and "hope and pray" again. The NL East is licking their chops as they wait for his 88 MPH fastball to reach home plate.


Why split it up into halves of seasons? In the first half, he was one of the best pitchers in all of baseball. Since 2011, he's been a solid starter or better every single season. Much more than you can say for Harvey, Wheeler, Matz, Gsellman or Lugo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 61679
I think the league is far more excited to face whatever offering Harvey is telegraphing- regardless of velocity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:32 pm 
User avatar
Offline
All Star

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 2094
Mets payroll currently stands at $152.6 million. They began last season with a payroll of $154.4 million, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.

_________________
“Why... must I always explain” Van Morrison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:16 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am
Posts: 930
Location: Studio 54
MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
Mets payroll currently stands at $152.6 million. They began last season with a payroll of $154.4 million, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.


Those cheap Wilpons, they cut payroll from last year! I'm boycotting!!! Waaaahh

_________________
"Hope for the best, expect the Mets!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Season Spending
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 29712
Location: Danbury, CT
Disco Ball wrote:
MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
Mets payroll currently stands at $152.6 million. They began last season with a payroll of $154.4 million, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.


Those cheap Wilpons, they cut payroll from last year! I'm boycotting!!! Waaaahh


$44m below the luxury tax, in NY.

But yeah, defend the Wilpons some more.

_________________
Terry Collins cost the Mets a World Series title.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ghoti., Hilltop, jdawginsc, Kevin From Spotswood, letsgomets942, luciferase, MarkJohnson>You, Mavericknyc1980, Metro2007, MetsWhiz93, Mogriffjr, Munky00, northway, Ralf, sluger11787, SNESandMets and 192 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media