MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Grade the offseason (as of today/Vargas signing).
Poll ended at Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:31 am
B+ (or higher), good off-season. 25%  25%  [ 11 ]
B/B- 39%  39%  [ 17 ]
C+ not great, but not bad. not overjoyed but some appreciation. 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
C Average and uninspired. 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
C-/D+ below average but there was some effort to compete 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D/D- clearly below average 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F - outright fail. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: Grade the off-season
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:31 am 
Legend of NYFS

See Poll. No explanation necessary, but feel free to discuss.

Summary:

New Manager - the Mic

Syracuse - baby. Leaving Las Vegas. (that counts it was an off-season spending move).

Swarzak - 2 years 14
Bruce - 3, 39
A-Gon - 1, vet min
Reyes - 1, 2
Frazier- 2, 17
Vargas 2, 16

Signed and sold a rule 5 pick
Lost Bradford
Traded Smoker
Sold Reynolds
Signed Den Dekker (and a couple others to minor league deals).

I think they did OK, but feel free to disagree. Poll closes in 21 days.

Post subject: Re: Grade the off-season
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

Pleasantly surprised they added a starting infielder, starting OF, plus Reyes and A-Gone on the cheap, plus a starting pitcher and reliever. Didn't think we'd actually check off all of those boxes.

Would still like to see them take further advantage of the market and sign Lucroy and also add another reliever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

D.

They didn't sign a single player I want to watch.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:00 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
D.

They didn't sign a single player I want to watch.

8)

LOL. It's hard to argue with that. :lol:

Though for the record, I'm looking forward to seeing Frazier, who might not be great but I'm still looking forward. He seems like a good guy. I'm curious about Swarzac and Vargas and I'm even a little curious about whether Gonzalez can get his swing back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:50 am 
Blue Chipper

Seems there weren’t a lot of exciting or impactful free agents available this year. The Mets did well to fill some holes and not overpay.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:40 am 
All Star

I’d give it a solid B, if they were to add a good lefty reliever I might bump it to a B+, they did way more than I expected them to do, sure none of the moves are particularly sexy but on the whole I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:36 am 
Rookie

B+

Strategically speaking there was a lot to like about this offseason. We added a big bat with a name in Bruce. The only reason this isn't being met with more clamor is that some think it doesn't count because he played here before. We added much needed starter depth. We added a hungry manager that seems to handle the media well and can focus on our strongest assets. Made some improvements to the bullpen (especially if one or two certain disappointing fireballers end up finding their stride in that role after the Vargas signing). And certainly don't sell short reshuffling a defensive unit that was laughably bad last year. All while spending more, but not leveraging the club and not losing draft picks needed to bolster a bottom-5 system.

All that is great, if underrated, news. But here's where I think the average fan is really missing out. We finally went no-F's-given mode. David Wright still in complex? Tough, we signed Frazier. Dom (as well as fans) not happy that he hasn't effectively kept his body in shape and seamlessly stepped into the lineup? Tough, we signed Adrian. Everyone says we have to trade for Harrison, and who cares about Nimmo, he doesn't have much power anyway? Nope, we need the versatility and doesn't hurt having one player in the lineup OK with not hunting homers. Wheeler acting like a baby before throwing one spring training pitch? PERFECT example of a man-the-F-up moment that this team has failed to show in a while.

I like Collins, I think he did a great job managing until the final injury tally put us into quit mode last year. And I like Sandy, despite not always agreeing with him. I will always say that our success came too quick, the rebuild wasn't finished but you do what you have to at that point. Part of the problem was relying on young players and a veteran star with a loud personality. This made for a culture that had to change, and I think we did that.

We are not the Nationals, yet. But I think we are a winning team. I don't think Vegas was wrong to jump us to 81 wins. I think we compete into September for a wild-card, and at that point comes down to who's hot and who's healthy.

Good work team.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 am 
Blue Chipper

Solid B. They took advantage of a very slow market. I'm still in shock.

Yeah, the players may not be the most exciting but we made some much needed improvements.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:23 pm 
MVP

I had a long, thought out response typed up as to why the moves this winter were worthy of an adequate "B" grade.

Then I remembered that Ray Ramirez was fired and that alone makes it an A+ offseason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:02 pm 
Legend of NYFS

They did something to address the needs although in typical Met fashion some of those things were pretty bare minimum. They also really didn’t do what they said they were going to which was strengthen the bullpen and improve athleticism/defense.

But they imported guys who were improvements over what they had in house and maybe for the first time ever they didn’t call it an offseason after the winter meetings and making 1 move. We also got some players who were on the team last year or had an obvious past Alderson connection which was a nice change.

It’s a C, C+ for me. They didn’t blow it, but they also didn’t exactly go out and get significantly better. They did he minimum necessary to make you think if everything works out they can compete.

Still fascinated by the idea that they are so allergic to trades.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah, it's a firm C. I suppose points for doing something, but when you break it down, they went down the path of mediocrity with what appears as an emphasis on durability, depth and familiarity at the expense of any impact additions. So, a lot of false hustle, if you will.

I don't expect this to all come together in a sum greater than the parts scenario. To me, it would require a repeat of 2015 where the Nats crash and everyone here stays healthy and exceeds expectations. And this lineup looks like it's going to be another snoozefest.

I also think the Phils, Braves and Marlins will all be peskier than most expect and the division isn't going to be the rollover the Mets need to to be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:36 pm 
Everyday Player

C. The players they got are only Mets because they were dirt cheap. While I do have decently higher expectations for the teams performance I still have zero extra faith in the ownership.