MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Grade the offseason (as of today/Vargas signing).
Poll ended at Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:31 am
B+ (or higher), good off-season. 25%  25%  [ 11 ]
B/B- 39%  39%  [ 17 ]
C+ not great, but not bad. not overjoyed but some appreciation. 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
C Average and uninspired. 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
C-/D+ below average but there was some effort to compete 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D/D- clearly below average 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F - outright fail. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: Re: Grade the off-season
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:16 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

B+ to me with a possible higher grade if they grab another lefty reliever.

Getting Mickey Callaway was an indication that they fully believe in the pitchers they have here and feel like they can get more out them.

The AAA move from Vegas to Cuse is GREAT. bye bye to that sandbox, ridiculous field.

I liked this renewed or more revamped approach to training and the staff as well. Clearly things weren't working in regards to injuries and injury prevention; getting these guys back on the field.

Only things that are holding me back for a possible higher grade is the lack of OF depth in general in the organization and the lack of a reliable 2nd lefty.

Reyes- For the money, great move. He ended the year very well and for him to be the MIF backup for 2 mill.

AGone- Wasn't a fan because I really like Dom Smith. If Dom so happened to have a bad ST they could have just put Bruce at 1st for the time being and bring in another OF.

Bruce- Good to bring a big bat for the middle of the order. Also can slide over to 1st if need be too.

Frazier- Liked this move as well, vet 3B who can hit for power and play the hot corner.

Swarczak- Decent signing for the pen, really not enamored but another arm was needed.

Vargas- This was needed to have a reliable SP in the sense that Mick can't revive Harvey's career nor get Gsellman/Wheeler/Matz back on track. As you can see from last season, you can't have too many SP.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:45 pm 
Blue Chipper

B+ for me..... Somehow Sandy’s prediction that no one will bid on FAs this offseason worked...

They filled just about every need...
Matt Reynolds was traded..
The bullpen looks strong...
Heck the potential AAA Rotation looks strong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:36 pm 
Manager

A solid B

Solid signings. They didn’t overpay for anyone. No big commitments. Didn’t lose a draft pick. Team is improved. New Coaching staff seems strong.

No game changing moves or big splash and CF is still a big ??? But it’s been a good offseason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

C-/D+

They did nothing to actually improve the team in any meaningful way. They could have, easily, but they did not.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm 
General Manager

tejdog1 wrote:
C-/D+

They did nothing to actually improve the team in any meaningful way. They could have, easily, but they did not.

Yawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 pm 
NYFS Staff

A+

den Dekker, deGrom, d'Arnaud reunited once again.

=D>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Went with grade C. Average and uninspired. Because that's really what it was. Just sayin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:
C-/D+

Added 5 2+ win players in Bruce, Frazier, Vargas and Reyes and Swarzak.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Bruce = Bruce
Frazier replaces Walker
Vargas is fine, needed to do more for the starters
LOL Reyes
Swarzak = Reed

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 pm 
NYFS Staff

In all seriousness, I would give the off-season a B-. I think Mickey C. will be a solid manager. Nothing to base it on, but I have good feeling about his pitching acumen. If his version of pitcher training and maintenance help Thor, deGrom, Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Familia, etc..stay healthy, we're in for a fun season. And the Mets certainly filled some holes with some major league baseball players. When was the last time we had 30 HR potential at 3rd base? Frazier and Gonzo provide very good D at 3B and 1B. I like, but don't love, the addition of Bruce. Solid glove and bat. Would have preferred JD Martinez. But he's looking for $100+ million. We already have Ces making that. Swarzak and Vargas, not bad. Reyes gives us insurance if Rosario hits a sophomore slump or when Cabrera eventually hurts his leg(s).

By mid-season:

Conforto
Frazier
Yo
Bruce
Cabrera
Gonzo
TdA
Rosario

Flores
Reyes
Nimmo
Plaw
Lagares

...has a chance to score some runs.

deGrom
Thor
Matz
Harvey
Vargas/Wheeler

Familia
Blevins
Ramos
Swarzak
Vargas/Wheeler
Lugo
Sewald

Is a solid group of pitchers.

I think, if we can stay relatively healthy, this team can win some games.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 pm 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:
Bruce = Bruce
Frazier replaces Walker
Vargas is fine, needed to do more for the starters
LOL Reyes
Swarzak = Reed

Bruce was only here for 100 games. Walker 70.

Plus Cespedes 80. Thor 30 innings.

Assuming normal health we should be a better team than 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:24 am 
Rookie

I gave it a B. This reminds me of the offseason between 1974 and 1975, when they added Kingman, Torre and Del Unser to boost the NL's worst offense.

That team went 82-80, an 11-game improvement over the previous year, mainly because beyond the big three of Seaver-Koosman-Matlack, the rotation was terrible and Kingman and Rusty Staub aside, there was still too little offense. With just about the same line up next year(minus Staub), the '76 team went 86-76.

I think that this team as currently constituted can win between 82-86 games, if Thor and Jake pitch at least 175 innings apiece and Cespedes stays healthy.

The X factors besides health, are just how good the Phils and Atlanta end up being and what additions they can make in July. They will need to find a way to add a few more wins to be a real playoff team.

About a month ago, most of us were ready to write 2018 off. That has changed. Now only those still clinging to their schtick haven't moved on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next