MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New pace of play rules
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 am 
General Manager

TomInNC wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
Are there games where managers make more than six mound visits? Assuming we're not counting an actual pitching change as a mound visit or you can make pitching changes from the dugout, to me this is a whole bunch of nothing. I can't imagine they'd forgo pitching changes in extra innings cause some manager used his allotment of mound visits.

Extra innings you get a visit per inning. Pitching changes don’t count, but catcher visits and PC visits count.

No one will be making pitching changes from the dugout.

Then in other words this is a giant nothingburger. Yet the players are STILL whining about it cause that's what they do best.

tejdog1 wrote:
dragonfly wrote:
Oh joy. More reasons for old men to yell at clouds.

I'm not even old and this is stupid as hell. The game is fine. Cut down commercials if you want to slice gametimes. But they won't.

They did actually...by 20 seconds per half inning (albeit in the regular season).

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... mmercials/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

That's 6 minutes per 9 inning game.

What is their end goal here? Like... why?

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:
That's 6 minutes per 9 inning game.

What is their end goal here? Like... why?

To cut time off the games incrementally in various areas of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm 
General Manager

If they want to start making anything shorter they can start by reducing the season by a month.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 pm 
MVP

The difference between the average game lasting 2 hours and 40 minutes versus 3 hours means absolutely nothing to the casual observer these rules are catering to.

The problem with baseball is not that the games take 3 hours. NFL games take just as long. The problem with baseball is that in an ever-increasing world of instant gratification and short attention spans, more and more people are being essentially programmed to enjoy only things that activate their brains' "reward center" quickly and frequently. Think of all the 100% useless, mindless apps and phone games that people incessantly bury their heads into...

On top of that, kids (who become ticket buying adults) are, on the whole, less passionate about America's pastime as they are football and basketball (for the reasons mentioned above). When you aren't passionate about something, you don't really care to understand the nuance of the game that truly makes baseball so enjoyable. If all you want to see is a homerun, you don't really find it interesting to think about the strategy of what pitch will be thrown in a certain count in a given situation or why sometimes it makes sense to try and steal and base and why other times it doesn't. There are far fewer people who get enjoyment out of being a student of the game. A 3 hour game is perfectly fine for me because I'm thinking the entire time, engaged as to what has happened, what I think should happen next, and excited to see what actually does happen. I don't expect everyone to be that way, but the number of people who are like this is diminishing with each generation.

I'm sure this sounds like an old timer yelling about clouds in the sky, but I'm a 27-year-old. I'm speaking of the generation of which I am a part of.