MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Worst "discussed" rule change of all-time?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

OK trying to take this seriously is hard but why just the 9th? Lebron touches the ball all game. Maybe each team can put up anyone any inning? You start with Conforto, and if he gets on more players will come to bat but if he makes an out he can go back and bat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:03 pm 
Blue Chipper

While I’m not a fan of this specific rule change.

I give the mlb execs credit for trying to think outside the box.

Here are the radical changes that I would be in favor of...

Differentiate leagues into a Upper Tier and Lower Tier League. Implement a Promotion/Relegation system that works halfway through the year & end of year.

Elimination of the Rule V Draft.

Implement position boundaries on the INF (similar to volleyball) where the 3B can’t cross over the SS prior to the pitch and vice versa.. as an example... This won’t stop shifts but limit crazy ones where the 3B is essentially playing at the 2B position.

Enforce a salary floor...
Similar to luxury tax but as a min penalty would be a 100% tax on salary diff between min and opening day salary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm 
General Manager

NO
Why
No
Yes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I don't understand people who want to eliminate the shift. It's not the defense's job to make it EASY for the offense, is it? All or nothing pull side power hitters exist and are a threat. Want to eliminate the shift? Bunt a few times down the 3b line. Or (gasp) learn to actually hit. To all fields. Situationally.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:
I don't understand people who want to eliminate the shift. It's not the defense's job to make it EASY for the offense, is it? All or nothing pull side power hitters exist and are a threat. Want to eliminate the shift? Bunt a few times down the 3b line. Or (gasp) learn to actually hit. To all fields. Situationally.

This. The more complete a hitter is, the less susceptible he is to the shift. Its effectiveness today is due in part to how few complete hitters there are relative to days past, even if they've optimized their production.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 pm 
MVP

northway wrote:
tejdog1 wrote:

This. The more complete a hitter is, the less susceptible he is to the shift. Its effectiveness today is due in part to how few complete hitters there are relative to days past, even if they've optimized their production.

In all honesty, I don't think the shift is fair to left handed hitters. I know the argument to that is "well, then they need to learn how to go the other way". The problem with that logic is that it's not easy to go the other way when the pitcher is throwing 100 MPH inside. Even the best hitter in the world will have a problem with poking that pitch to the left side of the field.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 pm 
All Star

piazzafan wrote:
northway wrote:
tejdog1 wrote:

In all honesty, I don't think the shift is fair to left handed hitters. I know the argument to that is "well, then they need to learn how to go the other way". The problem with that logic is that it's not easy to go the other way when the pitcher is throwing 100 MPH inside. Even the best hitter in the world will have a problem with poking that pitch to the left side of the field.

This might be true, but LHB also have the platoon advantage over RHB for most of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:08 am 
Legend of NYFS

I agree that this is the worst rule change idea ever. It's just dumb and it might have taken away Bucky Dent's WS MVP - and I hate the Yankees, but I thought it was cool that one of their more average players, who never once had a full season OPS+ over 100, was the hero of the world series.

It also ruins the whole point of the Casey at the Bat poem - which I have fond memories for as it's the first poem I learned way back in the 2nd grade, only later to learn that Casey was a pitcher and not a hitter anyone should have been looking forward too. (I guess the DH kinda ruins that poem too).

on the switch . . . the NBA has rules like that on zone defense, or maybe they used to. Gets complicated. I'd prefer to just leave that alone. I hate the idea of illegal defense in baseball - the whole point is the fielders play where defense is optimal.

Rule 5 . . . (SteveRiff) - we had that conversation before, might have been with you, might have been someone else. Rule 5 prevents teams from leaving valuable players in the minors for too long - it's a good rule in that sense. It's a bad rule in the sense that the mets have to carry Marcos Molina or Wuilmer Becerra on the 40 man roster all year because they think they could contribute to the team down the line and a player who could be playing, doesn't play cause he's not on the 40. That's weird, but I think the rule 5 and 40 man roster rules do more good than harm - but yes, the rules aren't perfect. Some re-working wouldn't be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 pm 
Blue Chipper

LTKfRGM wrote:
I agree that this is the worst rule change idea ever. It's just dumb and it might have taken away Bucky Dent's WS MVP - and I hate the Yankees, but I thought it was cool that one of their more average players, who never once had a full season OPS+ over 100, was the hero of the world series.

It also ruins the whole point of the Casey at the Bat poem - which I have fond memories for as it's the first poem I learned way back in the 2nd grade, only later to learn that Casey was a pitcher and not a hitter anyone should have been looking forward too. (I guess the DH kinda ruins that poem too).

on the switch . . . the NBA has rules like that on zone defense, or maybe they used to. Gets complicated. I'd prefer to just leave that alone. I hate the idea of illegal defense in baseball - the whole point is the fielders play where defense is optimal.

Rule 5 . . . (SteveRiff) - we had that conversation before, might have been with you, might have been someone else. Rule 5 prevents teams from leaving valuable players in the minors for too long - it's a good rule in that sense. It's a bad rule in the sense that the mets have to carry Marcos Molina or Wuilmer Becerra on the 40 man roster all year because they think they could contribute to the team down the line and a player who could be playing, doesn't play cause he's not on the 40. That's weird, but I think the rule 5 and 40 man roster rules do more good than harm - but yes, the rules aren't perfect. Some re-working wouldn't be a bad thing.

I think the rule V drafts initial purpose was to level the playing field and has had some impact. However, I think the side affect of the draft is taking its impact on this years free agency and on future years.... Since teams are forced to put guys on the 40 man with potential and not MLB experience... almost every team is feeling the 40 man roster crunch..

Impact is that MLB guys who aren’t impact guys are forced to take NRI deals during the offseason.

It also is quite unfair to the International Prospect who plays 2 years in the DSL...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
northway wrote:
tejdog1 wrote:

Baseball isn't supposed to be fair.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:31 pm 
MVP

stevereiff wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

I think the rule V drafts initial purpose was to level the playing field and has had some impact. However, I think the side affect of the draft is taking its impact on this years free agency and on future years.... Since teams are forced to put guys on the 40 man with potential and not MLB experience... almost every team is feeling the 40 man roster crunch..

Impact is that MLB guys who aren’t impact guys are forced to take NRI deals during the offseason.

It also is quite unfair to the International Prospect who plays 2 years in the DSL...

I always thought the rule V draft was unfair to the teams. The whole purpose of the draft was to free players who were blocked. Unfortunalty, teams are being forced to put players on the 40 man who have TJ surgery and lose 2 years of development. I think teams should be allowed to make injury exemptions based on total days lost due to injury.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
I always thought the rule V draft was unfair to the teams. The whole purpose of the draft was to free players who were blocked. Unfortunalty, teams are being forced to put players on the 40 man who have TJ surgery and lose 2 years of development. I think teams should be allowed to make injury exemptions based on total days lost due to injury.

This would be a slippery slope to a perverse incentive structure wherein players rush back from injury so as not to lose service time. If a player gets hurt and misses service time to the point that he's Rule 5 eligible, tough luck for the team.