MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dom Smith late, 1 day suspension
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
With Harvey, I think it was partying. I don't get the party vibe from Dom. I could be wrong, ofcourse, but as someone who used to suffer from insomnia and as a result, get into fist fights with my snooze button, I have a lot of sympathy for people who oversleep sometimes. I mean, sure he has to be penalized and the suspension was appropriate, but I still have sympathy. Now if he's just out late partying, that's different. I wonder how often guys on the 86 mets showed up late due to too much partying the night before.

Harvey's pretty publicly an unapologetic drunk, but one who is still fairly disciplined. Dom just seems to lack discipline across the board. These are very different things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

Harvey's pretty publicly an unapologetic drunk, but one who is still fairly disciplined. Dom just seems to lack discipline across the board. These are very different things.

I've never met him, so I can't say for sure, but I think he's just young. He's got a bit of that Kwame Brown, not ready for what he signed up for, going on. I think the tools are there, but I read somewhere that he was nervous in the field and that's part of why his fielding was bad. Lack of discipline is one way to put it, I just think he's still a kid in some ways.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:56 pm 
All Star

LTKfRGM wrote:
northway wrote:
Lack of discipline is one way to put it, I just think he's still a kid in some ways.

This. He's still really young.

I've worked with young players. They're experiencing things that most fans never think about. They usually just left home for the first time ever to go play baseball for next-to-nothing in a town they've never heard of. Their signing bonus made them think they've made it, but they realize pretty quickly that they're not that rich, and it sucks being 18 and having to maintain your Escalade.

By the time they can make it to the big leagues, they've essentially experienced transferring between community colleges all over the country with a couple of friends here and there. Sometimes it's hard for them to enjoy it all, and sometimes it's really hard for them to act their age.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:

I've worked with young players. They're experiencing things that most fans never think about. They usually just left home for the first time ever to go play baseball for next-to-nothing in a town they've never heard of. Their signing bonus made them think they've made it, but they realize pretty quickly that they're not that rich, and it sucks being 18 and having to maintain your Escalade.

By the time they can make it to the big leagues, they've essentially experienced transferring between community colleges all over the country with a couple of friends here and there. Sometimes it's hard for them to enjoy it all, and sometimes it's really hard for them to act their age.

This is all fair, but guys get to the show when they get there, and many promising careers have failed to reach their potential due to the maturity failing to catch up with the geography.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:31 pm 
All Star

northway wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

This is all fair, but guys get to the show when they get there, and many promising careers have failed to reach their potential due to the maturity failing to catch up with the geography.

I don't disagree.

But there are debates about work ethic and laziness. He's just young.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 pm 
NYFS Staff

northway wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

I think he will get it. If the worst things we have heard are tardiness and burritos, he is not too far off...

I know the knee jerk is to jump on the Milledge/Kazmir wagon, but he is still very young. I would stick Wright on him like a gnat this spring and let him raise him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:34 am 
NYFS Hall of Famer

He took the effort to lose the weight. That means he’s on the right track. This is overblown.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ciarán wrote:
He took the effort to lose the weight. That means he’s on the right track. This is overblown.

False. He lost the weight before last season as well. He also ALWAYS says the right thing. Last off-season he lost the weight "because I stopped eating wet burritos". Previous off-season he said his mom living with him would mean he would eat better and that he knew he had to make better food decisions...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Ciarán wrote:

False. He lost the weight before last season as well. He also ALWAYS says the right thing. Last off-season he lost the weight "because I stopped eating wet burritos". Previous off-season he said his mom living with him would mean he would eat better and that he knew he had to make better food decisions...

I think this is what bothers me. There's always something and it's always his responsibility but never his fault, whether it be the challenges of finding healthy food in backwoods towns like Binghamton and Las Vegas or the lack of his mother's cooking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Ciarán wrote:

I think this is what bothers me. There's always something and it's always his responsibility but never his fault, whether it be the challenges of finding healthy food in backwoods towns like Binghamton and Las Vegas or the lack of his mother's cooking.

Making judgments about someone's weight is a tricky space to be in. There is pretty clearly a genetic predisposition to bulk up with Dom. A 22 yo pro athlete doesn't balloon up to 280 and a 40+ inch waist over a matter of a couple of months by eating a few extra burritos. This is a dude who is very likely always going to have to struggle with his weight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Making judgments about someone's weight is a tricky space to be in. There is pretty clearly a genetic predisposition to bulk up with Dom. A 22 yo pro athlete doesn't balloon up to 280 and a 40+ inch waist over a matter of a couple of months by eating a few extra burritos. This is a dude who is very likely always going to have to struggle with his weight.

Probably, but it's also self-acknowledged that he has really poor discipline when it comes to not eating garbage. That's often a learned behavior and is definitely somewhat dependent on what you grow up eating, but that behavior can be changed with discipline and knowledge (though yes, he might still end up looking like MLB's favorite vegan, Prince Fielder).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 am 
MVP

Wow, I wonder if Mo Vaughn or Prince Fielder had this much attention paid to their weight. Or what about some of the players in the early 80's that had alleged cocaine issues (one presently is a Mets announcer). And certainly the Doc and Strawberry were given a real long rope mainly because they were stars. Give the guy a break, he is trying and making a mistake or two in between. I bet he is never tardy again and if he is it is with good reason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next