MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IGT: Marlins at Mets 2/25/18
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:45 pm 
Manager

Nice play by Thompson to end that inning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 pm 
NYFS Staff

acerimusdux wrote:
Nice play by Thompson to end that inning.

He might still have upside if his glove keeps him at third.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm 
Manager

Montero actually looked really sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:24 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:

I don’t know what that 88-89 mph pitch was he was throwing but it had the AA Marlins completely fooled.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:25 pm 
Prospect

dragonfly wrote:

Yeah, pitching backwards. Off speed stuff to get ahead, even thought i saw a cutter on a pitch or 2.

"Ralf is a virus" Team negative!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:28 pm 
Prospect

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

I don’t know what that 88-89 mph pitch was he was throwing but it had the AA Marlins completely fooled.

I am not overly hopeful at this stage, but that is his recipe for success. Good pace, not overly contemplative, moving it in and out, taking a bit off and adding on to keep em off balance. Then that 93 FB plays.

"Ralf is a virus" Team negative!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:52 pm 
Blue Chipper

My observations of today’s game...

- Cabrera looks to be in great shape.
- Cespedes is going to crush any pitch down and in.... You can tell he’s been working on his golf swing.
- Gsellman looked sharp and his pitches seemed to move more then previous. Stock Rising.
- Sewald did not look great... going to have to get better to earn that bullpen spot. Stock Falling.
- Rosario keeps reminding me what we were missing defensively with Cabrera at SS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:03 pm 
NYFS Staff

Not gonna get too excited with Montero outmatching low level minor leaguers. That being said, he's out of options and at least he's building his pre-season resume with some success.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:04 pm 
NYFS Staff

stevereiff wrote:

- Cespedes is going to crush any pitch down and in.... You can tell he’s been working on his golf swing.
- Gsellman looked sharp and his pitches seemed to move more then previous. Stock Rising.
- Sewald did not look great... going to have to get better to earn that bullpen spot. Stock Falling.
- Rosario keeps reminding me what we were missing defensively with Cabrera at SS.

Sewald with options, yes?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Dog wrote:
stevereiff wrote:

Sewald with options, yes?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:26 pm 
Manager

Definitely not getting overly excited about Montero because he tends to fall into habits quickly. But it was nice to see him work quickly and look like he trusted his stuff out there.

Good observation of Cabrera - he did look like he trimmed down some.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 pm 
Manager

Even if Sewald has options left, he might be the weakest arm left on the 40-man, and you have guys like Drew Smith and Corey Taylor who aren't yet on the 40-man, who look better .

As for Montero, he looked good but Gsellman looked better. Gsellman (if not Wheeler) should maybe be the guy who gets sent to AAA as rotation insurance (in addition to Flexen), but Montero needs to show he can handle a pen role.

I thoughs Swarzak looked good despite the HR, while Ramos looked like he was topping out around 90, had me a little nervous despite the good line for the day.

As for the position players, Adrian Gonzalez might turn out to be the worst on the roster, his bat is looking a tic slow. But you need to give him a little more time there, it's still the first week (that applies to Ramos, as well).

Other guys looking good today: Cabrera, Frazier, Rosario, Lobaton, Plawecki.