MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: T Minus ? Countdown to Cespedes implosion has begun
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 am 
Rookie

I went to Spring Training this weekend and was considering whether or not to post this because it will no doubt be criticized, I'll be told it "fits my narrative," etc. But given the article in the Post this morning, might as well.

I've long noticed that Cespedes never seems a part of the team and it's obvious to anyone that watches that he barely interacts with teammates, doesn't play hard, etc. This weekend, I watched him during practice sitting on an upside down bucket wearing mirrored shades while everyone else was standing, interacting, laughing, etc. He looked like he was at the last place he wanted to be. Frazier tried to approach him and that didn't seem like it went well but who knows - I'm not claiming to read lips.

This guy is, and has been, the ultimate "24 + 1" player. He doesn't care and he's not a good dude and if you don't see that, it's just because you're blinded by the occasional long home run. It's only a matter of time before he becomes a major distraction and the fans turn on him.

>>Cespedes did not make himself available to the media Sunday. A Mets official said Cespedes was asked by five different team officials, but they combined to go 0-for-5.

Reporters could not ask Cespedes directly because the Mets do not allow media in the clubhouse during spring-training games as starters check out, unlike other teams. The Mets do make their players walk from the clubhouse down a hallway into the interview room, perhaps Cespedes had used up all his energy going from first to home and then rounding the bases on his home run.<<

https://nypost.com/2018/02/26/yoenis-cespedes-is-the-bat-mets-cant-do-without

P.S. I was traveling back yesterday and didn't see his reaction to the home run. But even if he and team engaged in this hug (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbUQIYamAeE- dating myself), I still believe the Cespedes implosion is imminent.

Post subject: Re: T Minus ? Countdown to Cespedes implosion has begun
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 am 
Legend of NYFS

The timing of this is especially rich, given he came, he saw, he dominated in his first spring action.

I can only hope the rest of his career goes the way of the previous "ultimate 24+1 player".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am 
Blue Chipper

You left this part of the article out:

Quote:
“He’s already reminded me four times that he beat me,’’ Frazier said of that battle Cespedes won at Target Field in Minneapolis, winning the derby in back-to-back years. “He’s fun to be around.’’

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:05 am 
General Manager

This forum is generally negative enough but this seems overboard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 am 
Veteran Presence

This is well-supported by the fact that the team went into the tank in 2015 immediately after we traded for him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:09 am 
Rookie

MrBreeze wrote:
You left this part of the article out:

Quote:
“He’s already reminded me four times that he beat me,’’ Frazier said of that battle Cespedes won at Target Field in Minneapolis, winning the derby in back-to-back years. “He’s fun to be around.’’

Not purposely but valid point. Still, I tend to think many quotes about him, maybe not this one, are just people dancing around reality because, as of yet, no one has called him on his bs. The point of my post is I believe with Frazier, Bruce, Callaway (hopefully), etc - that day may be coming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:10 am 
Legend of NYFS

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
He looked like he was at the last place he wanted to be.

This is another choice quote considering he is one of very few guys in recent memory who actually WANTED to be here.

Going all the way back to Beltran, who begged to be a Yankee first, came here cuz they wouldn't sign him.

More recently:

Frazier basically has told you the Yankees were his first choice.

Bruce begged the Astros owner directly to sign him. His agent said he wanted to go to San Fran.

Cespedes is the one who wanted to be HERE. He waited for a Met offer 2 years ago that was below his market/other offers. He then signed in November last year rather than trying to wait out the market.

So- just stop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:15 am 
MVP

I am going to give another opinion here; especially to the right now....

Cespedes is coming off his worst year, a year dominated by injuries. I have to think he is most certainly into his own situation, into his "self", at least for now. That home run was great. Now he has to become comfortable again. When that happens, I don't think anyone will be questioning whether he is a team player. Yes he is somewhat of a hot dog but I have never questioned in my mind that he is a loner: a 24-1.

I guess we shall see. But for now, give him the benefit of the doubt as doubt is what he may personally be feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:15 am 
Rookie

metsrule0423 wrote:
This is well-supported by the fact that the team went into the tank in 2015 immediately after we traded for him.

My point is not that he's not going to hit well. Maybe he will (think he'll be average but we'll see). My point is that I hate having to root for guys like this and I think others are going to start to feel that way, too. And that with TC gone, a new sheriff here, and guys like Bruce and Frazier here who, I think, may not be willing to put up with his non-caring attitude, a tipping point may be on the horizon.

As I've posted previously, I'd rather lose 100 with Granderson that win 100 with Cespedes. I realize most people here don't feel that way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 am 
Rookie

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
He looked like he was at the last place he wanted to be.

This is another choice quote considering he is one of very few guys in recent memory who actually WANTED to be here.

Going all the way back to Beltran, who begged to be a Yankee first, came here cuz they wouldn't sign him.

More recently:

Frazier basically has told you the Yankees were his first choice.

Bruce begged the Astros owner directly to sign him. His agent said he wanted to go to San Fran.

Cespedes is the one who wanted to be HERE. He waited for a Met offer 2 years ago that was below his market/other offers. He then signed in November last year rather than trying to wait out the market.

So- just stop.

Yeah, no (in terms of "just stop"). And I meant Spring Training playing baseball, not the Mets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 am 
All Star

Uh... What?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

metsrule0423 wrote:

My point is not that he's not going to hit well. Maybe he will (think he'll be average but we'll see). My point is that I hate having to root for guys like this and I think others are going to start to feel that way, too. And that with TC gone, a new sheriff here, and guys like Bruce and Frazier here who, I think, may not be willing to put up with his non-caring attitude, a tipping point may be on the horizon.

As I've posted previously, I'd rather lose 100 with Granderson that win 100 with Cespedes. I realize most people here don't feel that way.

Truly absurd. One thing if we are talking about Reyes/Familia guys with "bad" incidents... Cespedes is aloof, big whoop.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next