MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: IGT: Syndergaard at Verlander 2/26/18
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
sluger11787 wrote:
Cecchini pulls a double into the LF corner with 1 out in the 9th. After Guillorme rolled over, Sluggin' David Thompson gets plunked in the lower leg with a curve. He was NOT pleased. Wanted a chance to drive in the tying run.

Instead Ian Strom will bat with 2 outs and runners on the corner.

New swing... back on the radar? Maybe? It's not like 2b couldn't use someone emerging.

Check the video yourself (his HR is available off Gameday), but it...looks like the exact same swing lol? I'm no scout of course.

I don't ever pretend to know anything about swing mechanics. The "storyline" is new swing. Allow me to be hopeful! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
sluger11787 wrote:
Cecchini pulls a double into the LF corner with 1 out in the 9th. After Guillorme rolled over, Sluggin' David Thompson gets plunked in the lower leg with a curve. He was NOT pleased. Wanted a chance to drive in the tying run.

Instead Ian Strom will bat with 2 outs and runners on the corner.

New swing... back on the radar? Maybe? It's not like 2b couldn't use someone emerging.

Check the video yourself (his HR is available off Gameday), but it...looks like the exact same swing lol? I'm no scout of course.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/mets-vs-ast ... ame=533836

Not too impressed by that swing and yeah I didn't notice a big difference. His feet are moving all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:18 pm 
NYFS Historian

Usually when a player like Justin Turner or Jose Bautista say they revamped their swing they are talking about timing. I imagine the same is true for Checcini. Does the timing mechanism of his stride leg and foot strike look any different?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Genmet wrote:
Usually when a player like Justin Turner or Jose Bautista say they revamped their swing they are talking about timing. I imagine the same is true for Checcini. Does the timing mechanism of his stride leg and foot strike look any different?

He went through the changes on an NJ.com article. I think a lot of it had to do with his load and the width of his stance? He also said he closed himself off (I was thinking ala Stanton), but his stance is clearly still open in that video.

In the end - results will govern the narrative. If he hits this year, it'll be because of mechanics overhauls. If he doesn't, it'll be forgotten (ala TdA's supposed "fix-alls" last spring ala the "bat wrap").

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Here he is talking about his swing (if anyone cares)

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/statu ... 4818447361

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Anybody heard anything on Matt Purke?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:01 pm 
NYFS Staff

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

He was sent home with the flu 11 days ago. I'm guessing he is building his strength back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:09 pm 
Manager

My take on the pen arms:

Rhame is looking good. He's mainly spotting the good fastball pretty well, but also mixing in some secondaries. I think he struck out McCann today on a change.

Callahan had pretty good stuff, but wasn't sharp enough with location. Even when he was getting ahead of batters he left a couple of fastballs up over the plate that he got away with. He didn't get away with the breaking ball he hung that Stassi hit out. He didn't look awful, he did make some nice pitches as well, but still needs to be a little sharper with location.

Drew Smith looked pretty good again, depite the not great result. The HR he gave up to Kyle Tucker, the Astros top prospect, actually looked like a pretty good fastball.

Bashlor also looks like he has the stuff to be a solid big league reliever right now. Maybe needs a little time at upper levels to refine his approach to better hitters. But I think he'll do OK if you have to use him in MLB.

With all of these guys in the pipeline, I don't think the Mets will really need to have too much patience with a guy like Robles. Robles does have an option left, as well. And Montero, who is out of options, is another guy who could take his job, maybe only needs to show he can handle pitching back to back days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Watching videos and Bashlor looks a lot like AJ Ramos on the mound.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:51 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Genmet wrote:

I noticed it immediately but I also referenced his first HR in the majors. Angle of the bat is more level to his shoulders as opposed to his bat angle being almost straight up (think Joe McEwing). He also closed his front foot maybe 6 inches so hes not as open as he was before. That's all I can see from the two videos.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:27 pm 
NYFS Staff

sluger11787 wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
"Dan will love to hear Alfonso dropped an easy one for a run. Won’t be scored an error since it’s soring, but very very sloppy. Looked awful between one inning scooping short hops. The good with the bad.
Then roped a laser beam as hard as a human can hit a ball. Loud out."-verbatim

Oh ok, didn't realize we were grading his between innings warm up routine. I have no idea when he "dropped an easy one for a run" - I am assuming it occurred on the play when Reddick scored from second on an infield hit but I don't recall Alonso dropping anything. I'll have to check the replay.

Ok, I see what happened. Alonso did drop the throw from Reyes (which was off line) as he was contending with Correa coming down the line. He recovered very quickly and made a very accurate throw home, but Reddick beat it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

You made the thread about him when he was signed. :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44784

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next