MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IGT 2/27/18: Peacock vs. Matz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Bautista looks very interesting, Molina does not...

To me anyone that throws 100 MPH is very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
Think AA to start for Gerson Bautista? He was pretty lights out in St. Lucie after the trade.

The one position where there's a bit of a logjam is the bullpen. Think definitively:

-Callahan, Rhame, Smith, Bashlor, Corey Taylor, Kevin McGowan, PJ Conlon, Adonis Uceta, apparently Molina are all guys in camp that are going to be in AAA or AA bullpens.

- I honestly don't even know who else we may have in total in the org at those levels, but guys like Gagnon, Ben Griset, Tim Peterson, Daniel Zamora, David Roseboom, Kyle Regneult, Kelly Secrest and Logan Taylor are presumably still here.

- Then from St. Lucie you have Bautista, Nogosek, Hanhold, Pobreyko all as sort of prospects who pitched well at that level last year. Plus org arms like Magliozzzi, McGeorge, Missigman, Palsha.

Be interesting how it all shakes out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:17 pm 
Manager

Disco Ball wrote:
dragonfly wrote:
Think AA to start for Gerson Bautista? He was pretty lights out in St. Lucie after the trade.

Is it too early to get excited by Bautista and Bashlor?

Along with Guillorme, maybe the farm isn't totally barren after all.

I think the depth is actually decent. I think the big problem with the farm in the rankings this year is it was thin at the top, (lacking top 100 guys) as pretty much most of the guys who should have been in the top 5 didn't pitch last year.

If all are healthy and pitching, I think Peterson, Szapucki, and Kay will make an interesting trio of high end pitching prospects. And I think Oswalt is maybe right with them, and got under-rated this year.

Maybe I'm basing too much on one week of ST, and with too much optimism about guys who haven't pitched yet, but I think in a few months the Mets top 20 might look like:

B Peterson
B Szapucki
B Gimenez
B- Oswalt
B- Lindsay
B- Kay
B- Guillorme
B- Vientos
B- Alonso
C+ Bautista
C+ Rhame
C+ Thompson
C+ Bashlor
C+ Flexen
C+ Smith
C+ Callahan
C Uriarte
C Cecchini
C Nido
C Dunn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Steve The Original wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

To be fair, 100 gets thrown around a lot, but its still a special number. Bautista threw 96-97 today and one 98. Noah threw a legit 100-101 yesterday. There's a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:30 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

Is it too early to get excited by Bautista and Bashlor?

Along with Guillorme, maybe the farm isn't totally barren after all.

This is talking about 2 relievers and a likely middle infield utility guy.

Thats good to have, of course, but if those are the guys to be excited about, THATS why the farm doesn't rank too well.

I think the biggest tell is that when you are emptying out the farm in these early ST road games, we're throwing in guys like Pat Biondi (27 and can't hit in AA), LJ Mazzilli (ditto) and Jeremy Vasquez (a guy who had a nice year in the Appy League as a college draftee).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

To be fair, 100 gets thrown around a lot, but its still a special number. Bautista threw 96-97 today and one 98. Noah threw a legit 100-101 yesterday. There's a difference.

Well that's what was being touted that he throws 100. Or so I read it somewhere. As long as it's not a case of Rhame whose 98 MPH FB turned out to barely crack 94/95 at the MLB level.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Well that's what was being touted that he throws 100. Or so I read it somewhere. As long as it's not a case of Rhame whose 98 MPH FB turned out to barely crack 94/95 at the MLB level.

Again, on the same gun that had Noah at 100-101 yesterday, Bautista was 96-97 today. It was electric. But it was max effort, and thats what it was, just reporting in the facts.

EDIT: Not same gun, my bad, but SNY gun is typically "hot" in spring, fwiw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Rhame has been 94-95 in his televised appearances this spring, fwiw. He's been a tick higher than Callahan and Bashlor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 pm 
NYFS Staff

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Rhame has been 94-95 in his televised appearances this spring, fwiw. He's been a tick higher than Callahan and Bashlor.

Bashlor was hitting 97 yesterday.