MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodbye Big Pelf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:26 pm 
Blue Chipper

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-pelfrey-r ... -268060332

Quote:
Veteran right-hander Mike Pelfrey has decided to retire from professional baseball to become a coach at Newman University

Post subject: Re: Goodbye Big Pelf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:34 am 
Blue Chipper

Pelfrey pitched in the only Subway Series I've been to live as of this post. It was him against Phil Hughes and I thought I was seeing the future of NY pitching lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm 
NYFS Staff

SNESandMets wrote:
Pelfrey pitched in the only Subway Series I've been to live as of this post. It was him against Phil Hughes and I thought I was seeing the future of NY pitching lol.

I remember that game. Felt like there was something magical in the air. (There wasn't.) I have very fond "magical" memories as the result of guys who didn't end up panning out. It's sometimes good to remind yourself of the positive vibes you got from Kaz Matsui, or Roberto Alomar before he put on the uniform.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:36 pm 
All Star

chinabox wrote:
SNESandMets wrote:

I remember that game. Felt like there was something magical in the air. (There wasn't.) I have very fond "magical" memories as the result of guys who didn't end up panning out. It's sometimes good to remind yourself of the positive vibes you got from Kaz Matsui, or Roberto Alomar before he put on the uniform.

Kaz did have a magical debut.

Actually, he was magical in the first game of every season with the Mets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm 
General Manager

Metsfan980 wrote:
chinabox wrote:
SNESandMets wrote:

Kaz did have a magical debut.

Actually, he was magical in the first game of every season with the Mets.

In 2004 I had a blank Mets jersey I wanted to get customized. I had it narrowed down to Matsui and Reyes. The day after Matsui's first game, I sent that thing off to get it customized with #25, MATSUI. Not one of the better decisions I've made.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 pm 
General Manager

SNESandMets wrote:

I remember being at Pelf’s first major league start and thinking much the same.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

It seems to me he lived his life like a candle in the wind.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I always liked Big-Pelf. I know the numbers weren't there but he was a useful starter in 2008 and 2010 and 2012 he looked like he might have turned the corner, pre injury.

The mets using him in April 2007 and blowing all those games is on the mets, Omar and the Wilpons, not on him. They threw away a pennant by using him in that situation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm 
All Star

Didn't this guy make a ton of money off of two good months with the Mets?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm 
General Manager

Made $47 million in his career. For what, I am not really sure.

Good for him though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

15 million from the twins - 11-27 with a 0.4 war over 3 years.
15.5 million from the tigers (half a million paid by the whitesox), 4-10 with a 0 war.

Mets actually did OK with him. 15.8 million for 50-54 and a 6.4 war over 7 seasons. Not awful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 pm 
MVP

AllWrightNow wrote:
SNESandMets wrote:

I remember being at Pelf’s first major league start and thinking much the same.

I was at that game too. I believe it was a double header against the Brewers. I remember sitting there thinking, man this guy seems like he's very hittable. Boy was I right....unfortunalty, I was right for the next 6 years.