Bruce RF
Yo DH
AGone. 1B
ACab. 2B
KPlaw C
Guillorme SS
Thompson. 3B
Kelly LF

Yeesh, this concerns me that they are giving real consideration to adding Kelly for the final roster spot. I mean, why not give Evans a start in LF?

Post subject: Re: 3/8/18 Mets v Nats
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm 
Veteran Presence

Ugh I hope not. Maybe it's a competition between Evans and Kelly. I'd rather Evans a gazillion times over Kelly tho.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:28 pm 
Blue Chipper

Mogriffjr wrote:
Ugh I hope not. Maybe it's a competition between Evans and Kelly. I'd rather Evans a gazillion times over Kelly tho.

This.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I still don't think there's a spot for either of those guys to compete for - unless Rosario is out, in which case guillorme probably gets the nod.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
I still don't think there's a spot for either of those guys to compete for - unless Rosario is out, in which case guillorme probably gets the nod.

Carrying an 8th RP would be a waste of that roster spot early on, not to mention that they don't even have 7 good pen options, let alone 8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Carrying an 8th RP would be a waste of that roster spot early on, not to mention that they don't even have 7 good pen options, let alone 8.

Then they'll carry an extra outfielder (but I don't agree with the premise).

How is a 3rd backup infielder a greater need than an extra long guy when pitch counts will likely be more restricted, adherence to this potential "pull the 3-4-5 starters out after 2 turns in the lineup", etc.

I haven't seen a single person project anything other than 8 relievers. I would think they're doing this because they have heard from officials that that is the plan. And if/when they decided to deviate from that, again, given the current bench projection has 1 backup C, 2 backup IF, and 1 backup aka platoon OF....I highly doubt IF would be the next move (and if it were, it'd probably be a 40 man guy because of the short term nature - just until Confort returns which looks likely to be pre-5/1 now).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:02 pm 
Manager

At what point does the discussion become Nimmo vs. Gonzalez?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:08 pm 
NYFS Staff

Noah Syndergaard has struck out six batters in a row.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
At what point does the discussion become Nimmo vs. Gonzalez?

When Conforto returns. Think the "LAGARES HAS A NEW SWING ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT TO START HIM NOW" offseason storyline has already been debunked, so Nimmo gets his run before Conforto returns, Lagares returns to typical platoon/late inning defense role.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

1st- they won't need a 5th starter till the 3rd week.
2nd- who would a 5th OFer even be?
3rd- who would the 8th RPer be?

I think they would probably try to avoid burying Gsell out in the pen if Lugo (a multi-inning arm) is already there. And at this point (tho I know we've all said this on many occasions in the past), it's hard to see a case for Monty making the cut. Additionally the loser of the Matz/Wheeler battle for the 5th rotation spot has to be ticketed for Vegas, right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 pm 
Fan Favorite

sluger11787 wrote:
Noah Syndergaard has struck out six batters in a row.

And that was after he let somebody into scoring position.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:28 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:
1st- they won't need a 5th starter till the 3rd week.
2nd- who would a 5th OFer even be?
3rd- who would the 8th RPer be?

I think they would probably try to avoid burying Gsell out in the pen if Lugo (a multi-inning arm) is already there. And at this point (tho I know we've all said this on many occasions in the past), it's hard to see a case for Monty making the cut. Additionally the loser of the Matz/Wheeler battle for the 5th rotation spot has to be ticketed for Vegas, right?

Callaway already said he believes in giving his starters as much rest as possible. The fifth starter will be starting the fifth game of the season.