MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kevin Plawecki's hand is broken; Lobaton joining Mets
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 am 
Rookie

Let me preface this by the fact that I know little about TJ and the less about the nitty gritty of the underlying injury. So this may be idiotic.

But, if possible, isn't the best answer to let TDA play through it, if it won't cause more permanent damage and if throwing causes soreness but not extreme pain? It's not like he throws (hard) 110 times a game and it's not like he ever throws anyone out anyhow and it's not like the fact that he doesn't hurts us that much. He gets the surgery and he's 30 with a long and yearly history of injuries, no *sustained* track record of offensive success and one, lone, handsome online supporter.

He doesn't get it he has months to prove himself offensively. And then he can get the surgery, if necessary, in the offseason and while that will render him unavailable for much of next year, at least he then has a track record. He wins personally and we have a legit catcher in every sense except for throwing.

Bonus: since everyone knows he's injured, fans get off his back for throwing deficiencies. That's already taken effect here.

Who's with me? Ok then. Who's against me?

Edit: Just saw Plaw only out 2-3 weeks so maybe this is moot.

Edit 2: Just saw this so maybe not so idiotic: https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/travis-darnaud-remains-undecided-about-tommy-john-surgery/271956456

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:10 am 
Rookie

So other than J.T. I see the other trade candidates as:
Devin Mesoraco (Reds)
Roberto Perez (Cleveland)
Wilson Ramos (Rays)
Kurt Suzuki (Braves)
Austin Barnes (Dodgers)
Manny Piña (Brewers)
Stephen Vogt (Brewers)
Francisco Cervelli (Pirates)

And although he's probably not for trade, I'd REALLY love Austin Hedges.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 am 
Franchise Player

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Let me preface this by the fact that I know little about TJ and the less about the nitty gritty of the underlying injury. So this may be idiotic.

But, if possible, isn't the best answer to let TDA play through it, if it won't cause more permanent damage and if throwing causes soreness but not extreme pain? It's not like he throws (hard) 110 times a game and it's not like he ever throws anyone out anyhow and it's not like the fact that he doesn't hurts us that much. He gets the surgery and he's 30 with a long and yearly history of injuries, no *sustained* track record of offensive success and one, lone, handsome online supporter.

He doesn't get it he has months to prove himself offensively. And then he can get the surgery, if necessary, in the offseason and while that will render him unavailable for much of next year, at least he then has a track record. He wins personally and we have a legit catcher in every sense except for throwing.

Bonus: since everyone knows he's injured, fans get off his back for throwing deficiencies. That's already taken effect here.

Who's with me? Ok then. Who's against me?

Edit: Just saw Plaw only out 2-3 weeks so maybe this is moot.

Edit 2: Just saw this so maybe not so idiotic: https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/travis-darnaud-remains-undecided-about-tommy-john-surgery/271956456

It depends on how bad the tear is.

The difference between TdA and a starting pitcher is that he would be throwing on back-to-back days.

If he could go the injection and strengthening route, then it's possible that he could come back soon.

But will he have to change the way he plays the game (i.e. popping up and throwing out base runners) to avoid further tears?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

They run successfully on TDA now. Wouldn't teams start sending just about everyone, all the time?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
@Ackert_NYDN
5m5 minutes ago
More
Ideal move is to go out and get Realmuto. #mets may not have prospects for that. A good move To see if #Reds will part with Devin Mesoraco. Expensive, but cost of doing business. Or Ramos w/ Rays.

She must be reading us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 am 
General Manager

Whats the deal with Devin Mesoraco? Played only 95 games previous 3 seasons. Makes d'Arnaud look like an Iron Man.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 am 
Franchise Player

TomInNC wrote:
They run successfully on TDA now. Wouldn't teams start sending just about everyone, all the time?

Yea, and I wonder if a pop-up throw is more violent on the tendon than a typical pitching motion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:41 am 
Franchise Player

Plawecki does not need surgery.

Montero doesn't appear to be on Mets radar:

Quote:
Things can change: But FWIW, Mets were not interested in Miguel Montero.

https://twitter.com/MattEhalt/status/984818551327526915

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, this FO is not normally reactive in these types of situations. They will most likely roll with Nido and Lobaton for the next week and assess outside options in deliberate Alderson fashion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 pm 
Manager

According to Ehalt, Marlins asked for Victor Robles in return, so these little Nimmo swaps are cute, but better ante up another significant prospect to add to Nimmo.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 pm 
Franchise Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, this FO is not normally reactive in these types of situations. They will most likely roll with Nido and Lobaton for the next week and assess outside options in deliberate Alderson fashion.

I'm okay with that.

I don't think the loss of Plawecki warrants giving up years of Nimmo.

If the upgrade from Plawecki to a top catcher wasn't deemed as necessary a few days ago, then it shouldn't be necessary now. Catcher was already the Mets weakness, so stabilizing isn't a terrible plan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Mogriffjr wrote:
According to Ehalt, Marlins asked for Victor Robles in return, so these little Nimmo swaps are cute, but better ante up another significant prospect to add to Nimmo.

Marlins can ask for anything they want. The market clearly doesn't agree that a top 10 prospect in the game is the correct value for Realmuto.

I think Nimmo with 5 years of control and could hit the ground running is the proper value for the 3 yrs of Realmuto. There is no need to overstate Realmuto's value here. He's very solid but he's no superstar. 105 and 109 RC+ the past 2 seasons, and a lot of PBs.

The Fish are able to hold out in Realmuto's case bc he's not making a lot, so they are exercising their leverage. Nothing wrong with that. They don't need to trade him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next