Post subject: Mets Recall Gerson Bautista, Option Robles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:36 pm 
NYFS Staff

per Mets

Needed a fresh arm.

Post subject: Re: Mets Recall Gerson Bautista, Option Robles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:39 pm 
Manager

Geez they better not plan on pitching this guy unless it’s the 15th inning or it’s a blowout either way, reminds me of when they fast tracked Akeel Morris straight from A ball for a game and it was disastrous.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I talked about this in the other thread. Didn't think it would be Bautista tho. I guess Rhame hasn't been down for 10 days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
Geez they better not plan on pitching this guy unless it’s the 15th inning or it’s a blowout either way, reminds me of when they fast tracked Akeel Morris straight from A ball for a game and it was disastrous.

He is in AA and completely dominating so far so it's not a foregone conclusion he will stink up here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm 
Fan Favorite

I like it!

11 K's in 5 innings (0 BBs and 2 hits) to start his AA career.

Just put him in for an inning against the bottom half of the lineup and let him toss 98+ MPH fastballs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
Fan Favorite

thebull wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

He is in AA and completely dominating so far so it's not a foregone conclusion he will stink up here.

He looked good in ST against some MLB bats, and the Mets were raving about him before ST games even started.

And he hasn't pitched in a couple of days, so he should fresh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Vegas went 11 yesterday, so that took out a couple of their guys.

The question is is he on the clock, or does he have a chance to stick if he impresses.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Will he get more than 4 pitches to stake a claim to a job?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:58 pm 
Fan Favorite

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Will he get more than 4 pitches to stake a claim to a job?

It's back to rookie ball with you if you throw even 1 ball.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:10 pm 
Legend of NYFS

This is the kind of jump that better run teams than the Mets routinely make with their bullpen arms.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm 
NYFS Staff

northway wrote:
This is the kind of jump that better run teams than the Mets routinely make with their bullpen arms.

I agree. You know what an arm can do at AA as much as AAA. Yes, there are better hitters at AAA, but also AAAA specials in a hitters league.

Good to see some fresh blood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:31 pm 
MVP

Wow. Love this move.

A "Bold Prediction" list I made on another site included "Gerson Bautista earns a major league save in 2018".

Now, I'm not saying he is going to supplant Familia--my original line-of-thinking was that he'd be a late-season call up and as the team rested their bullpen arms he was given an opportunity in the final week or two of the season.

He might get shelled or walk the park, but I'm glad they are showing some belief in the more talented prospects. Figured we'd have to see the the likes of Rhame, Callahan, Drew Smith, etc. (any or all of whom may prove to be fine middle relievers) for a few months before Bautista, who is unquestionably a higher quality relief prospect and who could be a closer some day.

And didn't we see Jordan Hicks with the Cards in the opening series? This is not unprecedented. Organizations, great ones like St. Louis even, do this all the time. I think we are just very accustomed to the slow-to-act Mets.

Power arms in short stints tend to play up a level easier than everyday guys or starters who are more easily exposed. For that reason alone, I don't like the comparison to Akeel Morris, who was not a hard thrower.