MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4/17 Nats @ Mets
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 pm 
NYFS Staff

Why would weather be a factor on pitch recognition..?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The implication that “some” people have unrealistic expectations is disingenuous.

This is the supposed “number 1” prospect in baseball this time last year.

He’s not supposed to be Alcides Escobar and let’s not pretend like that’s an acceptable outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:13 pm 
Fan Favorite

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
The implication that “some” people have unrealistic expectations is disingenuous.

He’s not supposed to be Alcides Escobar and let’s not pretend like that’s an acceptable outcome.

I agree.

Good hitters that chase bad pitches get eaten up in MLB.

Rosario is too talented to become a guy that never gets pitches to hit. That has to be one of the priorities at this point in his development. He has the speed, power, and contact ability to be a very good hitter. But he won't do much if pitchers know to just pitch him high or outside.

He's young and raw. The Mets need to mold him into a major league hitter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

I don't think he was ever the #1 prospect. He was top ten. Maybe for a second he got near the top spot bc of promotions. And yeah I think this hair needs to be split. Saying he was the '#1 prospect in all of baseball...' implies that anything less than being an eventual superstar means failure. Those are ridiculous expectations to meet.

Sure, he was a consensus top ten prospect. But that hardly means he should be expected to skip any adjustment period. We are talking about just 225 ML PAs. It's going to take time. Having said that, no one is going to argue that his plate discipline needs work. I'm looking at Orlando Arcia's 2017 as a blueprint for what I think/expect AmRo to do this year. And yeah, just can't look at 3 week results (in horrible weather) and draw any conclusions especially for a player still acclimating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

It's been rough, but he's shown an ability to be selective, it's just a matter of developing consistency from at bat to at bat. I haven't actually broken down the stats, but anecdotally it seems like he either goes up there with a plan and works the count or swings wildly at every pitch until he's out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

I don't think he was ever the #1 prospect. He was top ten. Maybe for a second he got near the top spot bc of promotions. And yeah I think this hair needs to be split. Saying he was the '#1 prospect in all of baseball...' implies that anything less than being an eventual superstar means failure. Those are ridiculous expectations to meet.

Sure, he was a consensus top ten prospect. But that hardly means he should be expected to skip any adjustment period. We are talking about just 225 ML PAs. It's going to take time. Having said that, no one is going to argue that his plate discipline needs work. I'm looking at Orlando Arcia's 2017 as a blueprint for what I think/expect AmRo to do this year. And yeah, just can't look at 3 week results (in horrible weather) and draw any conclusions especially for a player still acclimating.

Number 2 per this: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... on-top-50/

Number 1 per this: http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7372

Was 4th on BA and 2nd on MLB.com as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, this isn't a hot take.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

It was not "this time last year.". It was in July after a bunch of players got promoted and lost prospect eligibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
It was not "this time last year.". It was in July after a bunch of players got promoted and lost prospect eligibility.

That's how prospect lists work though. Guys get promoted, other guys move up. I don't think that makes his status any less valid.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

He certainly was a top 1-3 prospect but let’s give him time. He’s not even been up for a full season yet. Also, let’s not forgot that not every prospect comes up and is Francisco Lindor. Byron Buxton looked like a bust for several seasons before putting it together. I’ll admit that I thought Rosario would at least look more polished, particularly in the field, but hardly think going to AAA will prove much of anything. He needs to see major league pitching to improve at this point, especially major league breaking pitches. The only way he is going to improve is through repetitions and working at it.

Moreover, when the alternative is Reyes, do we really to go there? The Mets won’t send down Rosario for Guillorme or Cecchini when they consider Rosario to be the superior player right now. And if they did ever send Rosario down, it’s likely for a reliever with Reyes or Cabrera taking over short for the time he is down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Metsfan980 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

I'm not advocating for him to play everyday. I'm suggesting a couple of games per week.

And if he isn't the guy, then it's Cheech or Guillorme.

My comments are more about getting Rosario some time off so that he isn't sinking on a nightly basis. That's a strategy that is employed by a lot of MLB teams with top prospects that come up while still raw.

They feel like he's past every test they given him to date, and that he just needs to play.

It takes time. Have patience.

It's not about me having patience with his development. It's me believing that his plate discipline and plate approach (which are holding him back) can be improved by sitting a couple of days per week, and getting more comfortable with ML pitching.

'Slowing down the game' is important for young players, and watching him chase bad pitches when he has 2 strikes on him makes me think that's what he needs for long-term development.

I completely understand where you’re coming from here. It also does make some sense. But when the alternative is Reyes, I think the best choice is let Rosario work through it. I’d love to say the Mets would go to Guillorme or Cecchini but realistically we know it will Be Reyes. Maybe Cabrera. In that scenario, give me Rosario who even in this current form is a better player than Reyes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:24 am 
Fan Favorite

Hilltop wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
They feel like he's past every test they given him to date, and that he just needs to play.

It takes time. Have patience.

It's not about me having patience with his development. It's me believing that his plate discipline and plate approach (which are holding him back) can be improved by sitting a couple of days per week, and getting more comfortable with ML pitching.

'Slowing down the game' is important for young players, and watching him chase bad pitches when he has 2 strikes on him makes me think that's what he needs for long-term development.

I completely understand where you’re coming from here. It also does make some sense. But when the alternative is Reyes, I think the best choice is let Rosario work through it. I’d love to say the Mets would go to Guillorme or Cecchini but realistically we know it will Be Reyes. Maybe Cabrera. In that scenario, give me Rosario who even in this current form is a better player than Reyes.

I'd be willing to live with Reyes, Cheech, or Guillorme occasionally at SS to help with Rosario's development. Reyes has started the season poorly, but he was still a decent hitter last year. As it is, Rosario isn't doing a whole lot offensively right now, so I don't think any of those three is really an offensive downgrade on the days that Rosario would sit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next