MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harvey ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:47 pm 
General Manager

Mets can't afford to have 6 starters and one less reliever with the way they have to rely on the bullpen to suck up innings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm 
Franchise Player

If he's not starting for the Mets, then he should be a reliever or on another team's roster.

If I was in his situation, I'd take the bullpen job on the Mets and do my best to contribute.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:08 pm 
NYFS Staff

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
Phantom injury on the horizon for Harvey? General fatigue or some nonsense like that?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Didn't even think of that. "dead arm".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:10 pm 
NYFS Staff

Hilltop wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Strong feeling this is headed towards path of least resistance, e.g., 6 man rotation.

So we’re not interested in competing this year then.

That would a terrible idea by management to go 6 man roto. We need as many starts from Thor and deGrom as humanly possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:17 pm 
Veteran Presence

I guess I don't get the point of not giving him one more start. Unless they are using the off-day to skip his rotation turn before Vargas gets back?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:22 pm 
NYFS Staff

On a side note...I do feel for Harvey. The guy was dominant early on in his career but injuries have just sapped him of what he used to be, like many before him and many more to follow. Mark Prior comes to mind. When he came up to the majors, I was thinking he was the next Roger Clemens. But the throwing motion of a pitcher is just not conducive to longevity. There are exceptions to the rule..i.e. Nolan Ryan, but the vast majority just fade away. It's the reality of the job.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 pm 
Blue Chipper

Dog wrote:
Phantom injury on the horizon for Harvey? General fatigue or some nonsense like that?

....Earlier today the Mets announced that Matt Harvey has been placed on the 15 day disabled list with a bruised ego.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Kevin From Spotswood wrote:
Dog wrote:

....Earlier today the Mets announced that Matt Harvey has been placed on the 15 day disabled list with a bruised ego.

Unfortunately for both the Matt Harvey and the Mets, the condition is chronic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I think you've got to move him to the pen (even if he's got to go to AAA to figure out how to do it) although I do keep forgetting about Swarzak's eventual return which I suppose might complicate things.

I know Harvey tried to look on the bright side last night that he actually finished 6 IP for once and that he was pitching better late blah blah blah, but there's no way they'll go to a 6 man rotation the way he's pitching right now, and IMO he's got far less starter upside at this point than a (hopefully healthy) Matz and Wheeler combo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

He should get at least 1 more start. When Vargas comes back, things get dicey though with Harvey looking like the odd man out. I don't think they'll get much in trade for him but ultimately, I think that's the most likely option.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:02 am 
Rookie

Yeah. I’d think the ‘pen is the best idea. See if he can learn to throw strikes consistently. That said, he had all winter to upgrade his attitude and adjust to life without a 100mph fastball. And here we are. I guess another start or two won’t hurt. Maybe things finally click. But I’m not expecting anything more than new post-game excuses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:50 am 
MVP

LTKfRGM wrote:
He should get at least 1 more start. When Vargas comes back, things get dicey though with Harvey looking like the odd man out. I don't think they'll get much in trade for him but ultimately, I think that's the most likely option.

I agree. One more start and then if he gets lit up, he's run out of excuses and then we try him in the pen. I have to say that I don't trust him. He just might be the type to lose on purpose if demoted to the pen....even in a walk year. Like Wheeler intimated a lot of starters are scared to be successful in the pen because they tend to get trapped there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next